shape
carat
color
clarity

New York Transit Strike - Did you go to work today?

Did you go to work (or normal planned event) during the strike?

• Yes, but it wasn''t a problem for me (walked, drove)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, and it was crazy walking a long way and/or sharing a car/cab

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
For all the New Yorkers out there - what do you think of the transit strike? Did you go to work today? Do you have a transit strike story? I just stayed home, but I''m wondering how common that is!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I had planned to come up tomorrow to do some window shopping, but I''ll wait until the strike is over. I heard on the radio that the police weren''t letting cars come into Manhattan.

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky for me, I''m able to walk to and from work. It''s about 1/2 a mile so no problem.

My FI was not so lucky. He had a looooooooooooong cold walk this morning. 3 plus miles.
emsad.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Since I''d be taking the LIRR in and had no idea how crazy the trains would be (they were running 30-45 min behind and I''m wayyyy out on the island,) I decided to skip today and take it as an "office day" which is frowned upon at my company. I could''ve drove to our home office, which is not in NYC but I''m actually getting more done from home...and NO, I haven''t been on PS all day, I''m taking a lunch break
3.gif

The rest of the week I''m in "non-NYC" territory but imagine the drive to get to Westchester & the Bronx will be bad.....

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
It took me about an hour to walk to work this morning in the 22 degree weather. Not fun. I wore 3 shirts, leggings under my jeans, 2 pairs of socks, hat, scarf, gloves. It was really pretty miserable. The only thing that kept me going was my ipod! Fortunately, someone in my office drove in so he gave me a ride home (early). I hope this ends soon...

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
i bailed on the morning rush today and crossed my fingers that i could i could catch a taxi a little later in the morning.. ha.. wrong. after the 4 people per car restriction was lifted at 11... there was a flood of traffic. and nothing was moving then! i walked. just under 4 miles... carrying bags and labtop!

tomorrow morning.. im bringing nothing to work with me. hopefully i can catch a ride as well....

hmmmmm now how to get home tonight... booooo... might be a taxi if i can get one..

41.gif

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
That''s such a terrible situation. Did I read the news report right? There''s a law that allows for workers to be fined 2 days salary for each day they don''t show up? Sounds like it was geared toward preventing a strike. Now that there is a strike, things can only go from bad to worse in a hurry.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I voted for hubby! LOL
I drove...or rather TRIED to drive him to Jamaica station . OMG. Nightmare.
Dropped him off and then called him on his cell. The ticket line was like 2 miles long.
Ended up taking him to the train in New Hyde Park on my way to work. Then he takes the Path to Jersey City. He usually takes the 7 train. Tomorrow dropping him off in Bayside. This sucks.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry for everone who had such troubles today!

Luckilly I happen to live in Manhattan (I''m currently in grad school). The best part of the strike for me? I had an exam scheduled today, and due to the strike, we were all allowed to take it at HOME. Hooray!
1.gif
It was an open book exam anyway, but it was wonderful to take it at home and not deal with the stress of school (even though I only live a few blocks away!). Although when I need to get places in a couple days when exams are over....I hope the city has calmed down a little by then!
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it doesn''t last long for you guys, what a nightmare!!!
32.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Yeeeah, I thought it was kind of fun to get a random work-from-home day, but now that it looks like the strike will still be on at least another day....it SUCKS. I have to do a bunch of year-end tax and payroll stuff by Friday morning (or else I can''t go on vacation
39.gif
) so I''m going to have to work something out either tomorrow or Thursday...
7.gif
I''m ready for it to be over!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results