shape
carat
color
clarity

New York reception

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There might be a change of plans. Any suggestions for a reception in NY for around 20-40 guests?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I am assuming you mean NYC???

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, sorry.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, that is a very broad question. Obviously there are countless hotels, restaurants, party space, private clubs, rooftops,etc.
I would recommend you do some research to narrow what you are looking for in terms of venue, price range, season and maybe take a look at theknot.com New York boards for some ideas from local brides.

From Paris to NY..soon you''ll be researching London venues!
emwink.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. Believe me, I wish I were still researching Paris venues instead. I''m looking for a good restaurant with a private room for about $150/head. I''ll check theknot.com.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
i saw a lay out of a reception in NY magazine at the Essex House. Looked v. beautiful. Maybe pick up the NY Mag Weddings edition--i found it more helpful than any of those bulky bridal mags.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 11:31:55 AM
Author: Harriet
Thanks. Believe me, I wish I were still researching Paris venues instead. I''m looking for a good restaurant with a private room for about $150/head. I''ll check theknot.com.
My sister had her reception at the Beekman Tower Hotel (near the UN). It was absolutely stunning... It was held on the top floor and space provided stunning 360 degree views of the city. She had about 100 people (and it was tight) so, for 40 people it would be perfect. I believe it was $150 a head. Check it out!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 10:36:12 AM
Author:Harriet
There might be a change of plans. Any suggestions for a reception in NY for around 20-40 guests?
Harriet-
Are you looking for a full on reception- like w/ dancing, etc?
Or would you be interested in just having a private room w/ a cocktail hour and dinner?

There are SO many options it''s overwhelming-

would you like to do this on the same day as your courthouse solemnisation?

or would you be interested in having a civil ceremony right there on the spot (then people could actually see you get married) you would just have to hire a judge to come and do the ceremony.

As I mentioned before we considered this option and were considering City Hall rest. good food, private room, and it''s downtown and I thought it was really cute to do a "City Hall" wedding at City Hall the restaurant.

BUT there are tons of options. It just depends how formal, fancy, etc. you want.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, so many options in NYC. I'm going to suggest Per Se. They have a private room that holds up to 50 people, I believe, and the food and atmosphere are exquisite. Not sure about pricing--definitely $$$$ but worth it! I'll try to think of other places...

Edited to add that this would be strictly for a formal dinner--I don't know about dancing, etc. at this venue...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 1:32:43 PM
Author: blushingbride

Date: 3/23/2007 11:31:55 AM
My sister had her reception at the Beekman Tower Hotel (near the UN). It was absolutely stunning... It was held on the top floor and space provided stunning 360 degree views of the city. She had about 100 people (and it was tight) so, for 40 people it would be perfect. I believe it was $150 a head. Check it out!
BTW - the top of the Beekman Tower is a restaurant...in case you wondering!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 1:45:45 PM
Author: curlygirl
Oh wow, so many options in NYC. I''m going to suggest Per Se. They have a private room that holds up to 50 people, I believe, and the food and atmosphere are exquisite. Not sure about pricing--definitely $$$$ but worth it! I''ll try to think of other places...

Edited to add that this would be strictly for a formal dinner--I don''t know about dancing, etc. at this venue...

I know that Per Se would be much more than $150 per person. It''s a fantastic place and probably one of the most foodie-centric rests. in NYC, but some of that amazing food and incredible gourmet talent might be lost on guests...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input! Per Se is my favourite in NY, but it now costs $250 per head and might be too high falutin'' for some. I''m thinking of a courthouse ceremony followed by lunch at Jean-Georges.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update:
I just called Jean-Georges and they said a private party would be held in the Trump hotel itself. Am I the only one averse to the Trump name?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the restaurant Daniel?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Believe it or not, we''ve soured on their food.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure there are tons of options in New York. What about Il Molino in the village, which has some of the best Italian food in New York?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't tried that one and I will. You've been so much help I might have to invite you!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Il Molino is little and not the most stunning of settings, but the food is incredible. You might be able to take over the entire place on a Sat night if you pay them what their normal take would be. You will not want to eat for a week afterwards!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You coming?
1.gif

Have you tried San Pietro? I love their food. The other hal''s favourite is Bottega del Vino.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have not. My husband likes Tse Yang for business dinners and used to love Scarlatti. Cafe Boulud is also nice. Really depends on so many issues, cuisine type, location and atmosphere you are looking for. There are some great places but I think they have become too touristy and the food has declined. Jean Georges is nice, they are in the Trump so where would they put you? Why not in the restaurant itself?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe because the restaurant itself is so small and a big party might annoy other customers. Have you been to Cafe Boulud post-renovation?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cousin was there a week or so ago and loved it. I ate there last Feb and it was fine, do not know when they renovated.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll swing by and take a look.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 8:16:05 PM
Update:

I just called Jean-Georges and they said a private party would be held in the Trump hotel itself. Am I the only one averse to the Trump name?

ha ha - no- I wouldn''t want the words Trump on my wedding invite for posterity!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kindred spirit! I''ll have to invite you as well.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, You do not HAVE to put Trump on the invite. You list it as Jean Georges with the address, and when guests arrive, they would then be directed to the proper place within the building. The word Trump need not even be mentioned, in mho.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good idea.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bad news -- Jean-Georges'' private dining room has a view of Broadway, not the par.
7.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
First, Il Molino does have some of the best Italian food in NYC, and is worth looking into.

Might I suggest Terrace in the Sky, http://www.terraceinthesky.com/? It's in Morningside Heights near Columbia, has fantastic views and very good food, plus they are very open to private dining 7 days/week and host tons of events. It's not the typical NYC midtown posh deal, but that is not what I would want for a wedding reception, so I think this is a very nice option.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My tummy and I thank you.
1.gif

Are you the guy whose e-ring came under budget and bought earrings as well? That''s so sweet. My fiance''s not biting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results