shape
carat
color
clarity

New Year's Foods

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anybody cooking a traditional New Year's meal today?
I am just starting a big pot of sauerkraut and kielbasa. I make mine with brown sugar and apples.
It's the traditional Pennsylvania New Year's dinner. Even though I don't live in PA anymore:(2
It's the only way to get good luck for the New Year!
Who else is making good luck food?

Last edited:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I'm doing something very similar- except using a boneless pork loin- but also with sauerkraut, brown sugar and apples!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, well it's not "traditional" but we had Mexican so that was our New Years meal :lickout:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing something very similar- except using a boneless pork loin- but also with sauerkraut, brown sugar and apples!!
We must have the same recipe! I have hard rolls for the keilbasa and also like to serve this with mashed potatoes.

Reactions: AV_

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We only snack on New Year's Eve. We don't celebrate it.:mrgreen2: On New Year's Day we have our big meal. Roast beef this year. We had a beautiful prime rib in the freezer, but unfortunately someone accidentally left the door ajar and then it refroze, so no go on that! Not taking chances.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whaaaa???:mrgreen2::lol-2::P2

I know I totally flaked out! I was going to make a crockpot roast but they were all out at the store :eek2:

So I told DH the grocery store is all out of food we will have to order out :P2

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our dinner tradition when staying home for NYE is steak and lobster. Steak is sous vide cooking now.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I totally flaked out! I was going to make a crockpot roast but they were all out at the store :eek2:

So I told DH the grocery store is all out of food we will have to order out :P2
All your neighbors got to the butcher block before you!
Gotta have pork on New Years. Maybe do bacon for breakfast?:lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I made baked chicken with peas and mashed potatoes with gravy for tonight. Probably going to eat the same tomorrow. Just maybe with a different veggie. My husband loves chicken and I love potatoes. lol.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
My pork loin, sauerkraut, and apples are busy simmering away in the crockpot right now and it's starting to smell so good. Only 5 more hours to go...:eek2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a fridge clear out at my gentleman friend's house and snacked on the leftover bits and pieces.
Chicken tonight, recipe or presentation yet to be decided, however, no doubt it will be edible as he is a good cook.
My own kitchen will go back to normal, and I shall not make any edible gifts or party food for a while.
Back to bulk cooking with a Chinese-inspired pulled beef with briskets.
I am glad the festive cooking period is over as it was very frantic for certain.

DK :))

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I never knew PA had a traditional meal! I grew up in Philadelphia and our "traditional" NYE meal was seafood - blue crabs, king crabs, cockles, clams, prawns and crawfish. Then a Cambodian coconut fish curry noodle soup dish, mango salad, papaya salad and some years a spicy lime beef salad.

Now I'm in NYC and there's just my immediate family so NYE's meal is whatever is leftover from the day before:mrgreen2:. This year my husband grabbed smoked salmon, crab cakes, crackers and some cheese form Wholefoods for our finger food.

All this food talk is making me hungry.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then a Cambodian coconut fish curry noodle soup dish, mango salad, papaya salad and some years a spicy lime beef salad.
This all sounds incredible! I love Thai beef salad. Is this similar to the Thai dish?

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
It's paper thin slices of beef cooked in lime juice, fish sauce and fermented fish paste (prahok), with chili peppers, celery, lemongrass, cilantro, basil, mint and peanuts. I'm not sure if that's the same? Maybe very similar.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's paper thin slices of beef cooked in lime juice, fish sauce and fermented fish paste (prahok), with chili peppers, celery, lemongrass, cilantro, basil, mint and peanuts. I'm not sure if that's the same? Maybe very similar.
Yes, it sounds so wonderful! Southeast Asian food is such an explosion of taste, I love it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had the traditional black-eyed peas and collard greens with my husband's extended family -- neither of which I really like, but I live in the South, so ya know... it's expected. LOL

But we also had pulled pork BBQ and all the fixings, so it's all good. ;-)

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
A73E93C3-91B0-49EF-8D63-634377E304A5.jpeg

6552A559-0457-4409-A80F-2165E1E5258F.jpeg

We were invited to a Japanese New Year party. Some of the food was Osechi, while others were BBQ. My friend had 3 bowls of the ozoni mochi soup. Not pictured was the delicious bread pudding a guest makes every year. :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

Sabina

Rough_Rock
A73E93C3-91B0-49EF-8D63-634377E304A5.jpeg

6552A559-0457-4409-A80F-2165E1E5258F.jpeg

We were invited to a Japanese New Year party. Some of the food was Osechi, while others were BBQ. My friend had 3 bowls of the ozoni mochi soup. Not pictured was the delicious bread pudding a guest makes every year. :mrgreen2:

8)Looks awesome! I miss Japanese food

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results