shape
carat
color
clarity

New words added to the Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I saw these on Good Morning America today...I''ve copied some that I like and a full listing is can be found here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8039760

Carbon footprint (1999): the negative impact that something (as a person or business) has on the environment; specifically: the amount of carbon emitted by something during a given period.
Fan fiction (1944): stories involving popular fictional characters that are written by fans and often posted on the Internet.

Frenemy (1977): one who pretends to be a friend but is actually an enemy.

Green-collar (1990): of, relating to, or involving actions for protecting the natural environment. jobs.

Locavore (2005): one who eats foods grown locally whenever possible.

Reggaeton (2003): popular music of Puerto Rican origin that combines rap with Caribbean rhythms.

Sock puppet (1959): a false online identity used for deceptive purposes.

Staycation (2005): a vacation spent at home or nearby.

Vlog (2002): a blog that contains video material.

Webisode (1996): an episode esp. of a TV show that may or may not have been telecast but can be viewed at a Web site.

Zip line (1984): a cable suspended above an incline to which a pulley and harness are attached for a rider.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
wow...I''m suprised sock puppet was added in 1959....seems WAY early for something to do with the internet.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 3:43:18 PM
Author: lala2332
wow...I''m suprised sock puppet was added in 1959....seems WAY early for something to do with the internet.
I should have clarified. The year indicates when researchers "first found them used in an English language publication" not the year they were added. These were all added this year.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
ahhhh.....it is really fuunny all the words that are just now being added.

Have you read The professor and the madman? Its about making the original Oxford English Dictionary. Its by Simon Winchester. Its really really good.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
that list makes me sad.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I''m always fascinated by this list.

I remember some years ago my grandmother called me and needed to know what "bling" was since it was being added to the dictionary.
9.gif
Priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results