shape
carat
color
clarity

New to training - some advice please..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello all you fitness gals,

As I mentioned over in the weekly thread, I have just rejoined my local gym and would like to achieve some fitness/toning/weightloss goals.

I started this thread as I've never been a big gym person, so I'm a lil clueless on all
of it, and I know I will have some questions and need advice from time to time. My gym's really good and the trainers are okay, but I'd rather ask you guys my embarrassing questions
9.gif

ok, so firstly, please help me figure out the elliptical?! I feel totally uncoordinated when I use it!
What is the difference between stepping forward or backward motion (is one or the other better?)..
And what type of program should I be doing on it? At the moment, as per the trainer's advice I'm just doing
quickstart on all the cardio machines (bike, treadmill etc), but I hear everyone say they use the elliptical the most, so feel like I want to make the most of it too..

Please feel free to ask me anything you need to know in order to give advice!
Cheers everyone in advance,
AJ.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
What cardio equipment you use is a personal choice. The eliptical trainer might be a tad initimdating for a beginner. Why not stick to walking on the treadmill for starters? Your trainer at the gym should offer a physical assessment, to see what you abilities and limitations are. A cardio endurance, strength and flexibility test. He/she should then customize a program for you based on that. Every gym has different equipment, so unless one of us are familiar with that particular brand of fitness equipment, it''s difficult to offer advice on how to use it properly and effectively. If you''re looking to burn calories (fat), the trainer may be able to get you on an eating plan as well (tell you how many calories a day to be consuming and burning) and give you an idea of how much time you should spend doing your choice of cardio. Personally, I would hit the gym 5 days a week, doing 45-60 minutes cardio, and 30 minutes of strength training (back/chest one day, arms, shoulders,abs the next day, quads, hamstrings, glutes (lower body) the next day,) rotating every day. Take one or two days off if you wish, and you should still see results within 6 weeks from start date! Good luck to ya!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
As part of my membership, I did get one "free" session with a trainer to show me around and
create a program for me. If I want further sessions, it costs more $$.
The program is strength training with intervals of cardio - the entire circuit takes me about an hour and fifteen to finish.
But it wasn''t specified what cardio machines I should use - and yes, the elliptical seems the least "obvious", hence my questions
2.gif

Frankly, I find the treadmill pretty boring, which is why I was interested in the elliptical.
I hear what you are saying about different gyms/equipment, but I''m pretty sure the general function
of an elliptical trainer is the same everywhere, no?

I''ve figured out for myself I should be on ~ 1200-1400 calories a day - I have no problem sticking to that with
my diet, it''s just the extra beer and wine that don''t help
2.gif

I actually found these videos which were really helpful and pretty much answered my queries I think.
I will post the link incase any other beginners are reading

link to instruction videos on using cardio machines

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The elliptical coordination should come to you quickly Bruddah. I always pedal forwards, rarely do backwards and set the resistance so it is a bit challenging to very challenging throughout each session.

Warm up for a few mins on it until you feel ready to work, then up the resistance to aim for a pace that it would be very difficult for you to hold a conversation with anyone. You can also do intervals, up the resistance so you work very hard for a few minutes, then decrease so you are working moderately hard for the same amount of time.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 1:39:57 PM
Author: Lorelei
The elliptical coordination should come to you quickly Bruddah. I always pedal forwards, rarely do backwards and set the resistance so it is a bit challenging to very challenging throughout each session.

Warm up for a few mins on it until you feel ready to work, then up the resistance to aim for a pace that it would be very difficult for you to hold a conversation with anyone. You can also do intervals, up the resistance so you work very hard for a few minutes, then decrease so you are working moderately hard for the same amount of time.

Thankyou Lozza! That sounds sensible enough. I keep hearing about this interval training - is that the best way to burn calories quickly.?

From what I''ve been learning from all over today, it kinda seems like the program that has been set for me at the gym is a lil counter-intuitive to the tips and general wisdom I''m reading.
The trainer was a young girl who kind of grunted her way through our session together (read=not very enthusiastic, lol)..
If I were to post about it, would you mind to give me your thoughts? I just want to make sure I''m getting the most
outta my time there, kwim?

cheers bruddah!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that your trainer was very helpful. I do the elliptical pretty much everyday and you will get the hang of it. I mainly go forward as well with about 5 minutes backwards (I find it much easier to go backwards so I try not to do it as much). I do a hill interval programme set to level 6 for the first few minutes and then every couple of minutes I put up the level until I get to level 12, but I''ll drop it back a level or two every 10 minutes for two minutes and then up it again. I try and keep my rpm above 75.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 3:18:15 AM
Author: bee*
Sorry to hear that your trainer was very helpful. I do the elliptical pretty much everyday and you will get the hang of it. I mainly go forward as well with about 5 minutes backwards (I find it much easier to go backwards so I try not to do it as much). I do a hill interval programme set to level 6 for the first few minutes and then every couple of minutes I put up the level until I get to level 12, but I''ll drop it back a level or two every 10 minutes for two minutes and then up it again. I try and keep my rpm above 75.

Hey Bee!
Thanks for the input.
I did give it another go today, and I felt more comfortable - I''m just sticking to quickstart at the moment,
and upping the level a lil after warmup. Level 12 would be full on!

So with the interval training, can you tell me why it so popular? It is quicker/better for burning fat?
I might try the interval program next time instead of quick start
5.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah you''re meant to burn off more fat doing the interval training and it gets you fit quicker. Here''s an article that says something about it http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=15

That''s great that you were more comfortable on it today!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 10:28:23 AM
Yeah you''re meant to burn off more fat doing the interval training and it gets you fit quicker. Here''s an article that says something about it http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=15

That''s great that you were more comfortable on it today!

thanks Bee for the article - I am going to start trying this, I''ve heard alot about it.
Even though I know I have been doing quite a bit of exercise in the last couple
weeks, and my body shape is changing slightly already, I haven''t lost weight - infact I''ve put on a kilo!
39.gif

I know this is because I am changing fat to muscle (heavier and all that), but I''m thinking
shouldn''t I be losing weight too..?
ah well, I know it''s still early - I think I will try to start going 5 times a week instead of 3.
wish me luck, lol!
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe try measuring yourself. I found some weeks that I had put on a small amount of weight however when I measured myself, I had lost inches. Best of luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 5:02:04 PM
Maybe try measuring yourself. I found some weeks that I had put on a small amount of weight however when I measured myself, I had lost inches. Best of luck!

yeah true - I do feel like my clothes are fitting nicer already.
This week will be 4 weeks at the gym - I don''t have scales that work at home, so I may ask to use
their fancy body fat etc ones at the gym, and get measured again - hopefully things will have changed and
I''m not just imagining it, lol!
I guess I''d better invest in some proper scales for home - my current crappy ones are likely older than me - and
they also say that I''m about 4kg heavier than I actually am
40.gif
- imagine my surprise when I started at the gym and found out I wasn''t actually that heavy, lol!

I''d like to go workout again today, but I''ve just spent 3 hours getting my hair cut coloured and blow dried, and
I don''t want to ruin it by tying it up and sweating it out, ha!
9.gif

I guess today my hair will have to be my priority - I think I''ll go for a ride instead.
catch ya later
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results