shape
carat
color
clarity

New to LIW!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ticktock

Rough_Rock
After what seems like months of asking myself, "When will he propose?" I decided to join this forum! I''ve been with my BF for almost 5 years. We met in college, did the long distance thing after graduating, moved closer, and now have been living together for a year. Our relationship is very strong and we have talked about getting married. We looked at rings in May (even tried some on!!!!). I thought maybe it would happen on our vacation this summer, but that has come and gone. A few weeks ago we talked again, and I guess I was kind of nagging because he said, "It''s supposed to be a surprise, please stop asking!" I''m trying really hard not to annoy him about it because I know that it''s not the right thing to do. I''m hoping that maybe joining the forum will help me to talk about it without annoying by BF!

It doesn''t help that all my friends and family (and his too) keep waiting and asking us about getting engaged. I actually had to tell one of my friends last week to stop asking me about it (she mentions it EVERY time we talk). They all say how surprised they are that it hasn''t happened yet. It hurts my feelings and makes me feel bad about our relationship. Like there''s something wrong with us because we''re not engaged yet. I know it will happen...I just don''t know when. I want it to be now, but I guess my BF is on a different time table than me! Just wish I knew what the time table was!!!

Okay, I think I''m done with this first post. Hopefully this site will bring some advice/comfort/etc. for me while I''m a Lady in Waiting!!

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the board, ticktock!

I''m in the same situation as you, really.. FF, and I have been together for 8½-years, and have a 5-year-old DD, so friends are always complaining that he hasn''t popped the question yet. It''ll happen when it happens, though, y''know?

Anyway, here''s hoping your Mr. gets on the ball, soon!

ticktock

Rough_Rock
Thanks, MrsHToBe. It''s nice to know there are other gals in the same boat!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Welcome ticktock!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
welcome welcome!!
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
welcome to PS and LIW!
35.gif

don''t feel bad about your relationship ticktock! most, if not all the ladies here are in the same boat as you, so we can totally understand and sympathize.
9.gif

so any idea what kind of ring you''d like to have?

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Welcome ticktock!
35.gif

Being a LIW can be rather frustrating but please feel free to VENT your heart out here. There are plenty of women here that can relate and feel exactly the same way. Hopefully we can help you make the wait abit more bareable!

What kinds of rings have you tryed on? What do you like?

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Hi ticktock!!!
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

CristinaRuns26.2

Rough_Rock
Welcome, ticktock! It sounds as if you and your boyfriend are on the same page, and hopefully moving toward being engaged soon. Enjoy your stay here
1.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ticktock,

Love that username! So appropriate for you, your message, and this forum.
9.gif

I am a guy but ckrickett said I was welcome in here so I hope you don''t mind a guy''s perspective...
7.gif

You''ve looked at rings together somewhat recently. As long as he wasn''t drugged, drunk, or dragged in by his ears, that is a great sign. We will do everything in our power (and we can be extremely creative) to avoid conducting any business in, near, or even remotely in the vicinity of a jewelery store if with our SO and not ready to be thinking along those lines.

If you have discussed what you like and he knows your ring size, you can take a step back. It may not hurt to happen to have a (that''s 1!) link to something you like on the favorites in your internet browser if you share a computer, just in case. Sure, you hoped it would happen on vacation but maybe he''s still working on getting things together and planned. Not all proposals are elaborate but many come from a good deal of thinking and planning. We may have to figure out a way to get ideas from your friends, some need to find a discreet way to ask permission, maybe save a little more lunch money, find time to sneak away to visit jewelers, coordinate proposal locations and/or props, ... all kinds of stuff goes into planning a proposal. Nagging/asking will especially irritate him if he is already working on something. If he has plans underweigh, he essentially has to bluff or lie to keep the surprise. Too stressful. Just let it run its course and happen.

As for friends asking, I have a general problem with that. I see no need to ask and find it rude. I have little doubt that as soon as you are engaged, every one of those friends will know within 24 hours. You''ll be excited and will talk to them. Pretty much as soon as you know, they will know. So why ask? Do they think you wouldn''t tell them? It''s crazy. There is no need to ask and it just makes the askee feel uncomfortable, pressured, depressed, stressed, miffed, ... all the ****ed''s. Same logic applies to the baby question. Argh... so frustrating!
38.gif
Ok... so it''s a pet peeve of mine. I''ll climb down from the soapbox.

It sounds like it will happen and it may already be happening (at least the behind the scenes stuff) so have faith and enjoy your time together. Maybe even enjoy it a little more knowing he could be up to something!
9.gif

Treefrog

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
welcome, ticktock! so great to have you here!

and treefrog thanks for the male perspective, all of us liws can use a little reality check from "your team" once in a while
25.gif

EDITED to change name---ditzy lulu!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome!!!!
1.gif

ticktock

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the welcoming comments! It''s great that everyone is so supportive and positive! Just what I needed! I especially like the male opinion. No, my boyfriend was not drunk, drugged, or dragged into the jewelry stores, so I guess I''m okay with that one! He knows the style I like and size, so we''re good!

Before looking at everyone''s pictures of their rings on this site, I thought I wanted something very simple...a solitaire diamond on platinum band, but now I''m seeing some other rings that look beautiful too! I guess I''ll have to keep browsing!

Thanks, everyone!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 8:42:45 PM
Author: ticktock
Wow, thanks for all the welcoming comments! It''s great that everyone is so supportive and positive! Just what I needed! I especially like the male opinion. No, my boyfriend was not drunk, drugged, or dragged into the jewelry stores, so I guess I''m okay with that one! He knows the style I like and size, so we''re good!

Before looking at everyone''s pictures of their rings on this site, I thought I wanted something very simple...a solitaire diamond on platinum band, but now I''m seeing some other rings that look beautiful too! I guess I''ll have to keep browsing!

Thanks, everyone!
Just be careful if you''ve expressed your ring preferences to him and you go looking at something different. There have been a few posts along those lines recently. That door could be closed already.

There are zillions of different settings. I think that''s great. I can''t imagine if every woman had a solitaire so options are good to have. Personally, I think solitaires can be incredibly classy and elegant with a great diamond.

Anyway, welcome. Please keep us posted and feel free to wander around here. Great people here.

Treefrog

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results