shape
carat
color
clarity

New to forum. Please help with my radiant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PunkiePixie

Rough_Rock
I have been reading this forum for the last couple of months and think it is great. There is so much information and good advice here. I have narrowed my selection down to three Radiant Cut stones and would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, etc. on which one to choose. Unfortunately I can''t get pictures, I am buying online but the return policy is excellent so I am safe there. Here goes:

Stone 1

.51 ct (Signature Ideal Cut)
F VS2
Depth 68.1%
Table 65%
L/W Ratio 1.22
Polish: Ex
Symm. VG
Faint Flour.
Girdle Med to Slightly thick

Stone 2

.53 (Signature Ideal Cut)
F SI1
Depth 71.3 %
Table 75%
L/W 1.31
Polish VG
Symm VG
Thin to Slightly thick

Stone 3

.54 (Excellent Cut)
F SI1
Depth 74.4%
Table 63%
L/W 1.48
Polish G
Symm G
Thin to Extremely Thick

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Punkie,

I take it these are from Blue Nile? Radiants are a very tricky shape and need to be seen to be evaluated, unfortunately the basic numbers don't even give us an outline of how these diamonds can look....The first and the third look the best by the numbers but I am only guessing and I don't want to mislead you buy advising on any of them without images. Maybe if you could afford to do so, you could order a couple of them and take a look in person and send back the one you don't like as much? With the SI clarity graded diamonds you would need to make sure they are eyeclean to your standards by asking the seller to check them. With the third diamond you would need to check the thick part of the girdle didn't encompass much of the girdle - again you would need to ask the seller.

Do you have the diameter measurements also please? I assume these are all GIA graded? What are you looking for in a radiant exactly? Have you checked out this vendor - www.goodoldgold.com ? Jon sometimes has some radiants in stock.

PunkiePixie

Rough_Rock
#1 5.20x4.26x2.90

#2 5.41x4.14x2.95

#3 5.68x3.83x2.85

What made you so quickly dismiss stone number 2? Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2009 8:19:11 AM
Author: PunkiePixie
#1 5.20x4.26x2.90

#2 5.41x4.14x2.95

#3 5.68x3.83x2.85

What made you so quickly dismiss stone number 2? Thanks!
The table is greater than the depth Punkie, usually the reverse is preferred. A large table can have the effect of making the diamond look glassy - in some cases as this is only speculation. Also it usually follows if the table is large then the crown height of the diamond can be low. This can lead to a lacklustre diamond which doesn''t show much in the way of fire or coloured light. But this is only from a general point of view I mention the above as there can be exceptions - but no way to tell without images.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I second Lorelei about radiants being tricky to pick by the numbers. I''ve been there, done that so to say. From the limited information you''ve been able to provide, I like stone #1 the best. I personally did not like the characteristics of the stones I looked at that were in the 70th percentile for depth, but your eyes may tell you otherwise.

In the end I did as Lorelei suggested you do, I ordered in a couple diamonds to view with my own eyes and sent back the one I didn''t pick. Alternatively, is there a local shop that has any radiants you could look at so you have an idea what might be pleasing to you? Maybe it wouldn''t be such a shot in the dark that way. I looked as several locally trying to get the range of specs I thought would be pleasing to my eye. I''d be happy to share the specs of my stone and some pics with you if you''d like (not sure if it''d be any help or not lol).

Good luck!

PunkiePixie

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for your help. I believe I will order stone 1 and 3 and then return the one I do not like as much. This is my first time shopping for a diamond and this forum is so great I will recommend it to anyone who is looking for more information about this kind of thing. Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2009 10:48:35 AM
Author: PunkiePixie
Thank you guys for your help. I believe I will order stone 1 and 3 and then return the one I do not like as much. This is my first time shopping for a diamond and this forum is so great I will recommend it to anyone who is looking for more information about this kind of thing. Thanks again!
Glad to help and that sounds like a plan! Give them a good test drive in as many different lights as you can to make sure you get a good idea of the character and personality of each diamond. Also if neither of these suit, don't be afraid to return them both and look for some more, sometimes it can take a little while to find the right one. Also have a look in some jewellery stores to view some radiants in person so you have a point of reference of how they can vary, that way you can see what type appeals to you most.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results