shape
carat
color
clarity

New to Diamonds. Need a diamond for girlfriend

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

First off, this website is fantastic. So much information. I have been looking all over for a few days, and diamonds are so complicated.

I have a diamond I was looking at here: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/2.00-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6481460

I also got the inspection as well. See below. I have a few questions:

1. I was looking at round, but princess is cheaper, why is that? I am fine with either.
2. Could you give me your expertise advice on this diamond? I did the best I could with my several days of research and input from friends who are married.
3. Any other advice :)

I am looking to spend around this price for a diamond. Under 15k.

cert.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round shape is the most desired and therefore the most expensive.

For a princess, I would also check Whiteflash.com as they have branded “a cut above” princess stones.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

What shape does your future fiancee prefer?

The princess you chose has about a 7mm spread. With the same budget, you can get a larger, higher color, superideal round. Please take a look at the following diamond. Princess cuts face up smaller per carat because a lot of their carat weight is "hidden" in their depth. When comparing diamonds, it's really important to compare mm spread, rather than carat weight.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4092181.htm

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed with all the advice above. I wouldn't get her a princess cut unless she specifically asked for one. Rounds face up bigger than princess and are more classic.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all sooo much for your feedback! She loves the round cut, so I will stick with that.

I would be sticking around 2 carat for the round, so I wanted to see what other recommendations you have. I am going to check out whiteflash since I never heard of that place. H or better as well as SI1 or better.

Round being larger because you don't lose it in the depth like a princess cut is amazing to know.

Again, you are all lifesavers. Thank you!!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the size of it in measurements. Will it show the size eventually?

Thanks!
Yup. It will show specifics once it's cut. But if I were you I'd ask them about reserving it.

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock
Hi!

The princess you chose has about a 7mm spread. With the same budget, you can get a larger, higher color, superideal round. Please take a look at the following diamond. Princess cuts face up smaller per carat because a lot of their carat weight is "hidden" in their depth. When comparing diamonds, it's really important to compare mm spread, rather than carat weight.

She prefers round as do I.

What is your take on this one? Do you think 8mm is too big?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4104803.htm

Thanks in advanced!

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock
Hi!

She would prefer round. That is a great deal! Do you think 7mm is optimal? What about 8mm? I would like it to be bigger but not impractical, you know?

Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks in advanced!
Here on ps we often never think anything is too big ;-) but in all seriousness, 8mm isn't likely to look too big on most people, unless maybe they have extremely tiny hands. 8mm is about 2ct, which is certainly large, but not enormous or likely to look like *too much*. Granted this all depends on where you live, your social circle, and comfort level with jewelry, etc. What does she say about preferred size?

Edit . It also depends a lot on setting. 2ct in a solitaire looks much smaller than 2ct in a halo setting!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks in advanced!

This one is Virtual Selection ... Virtual Selection is not eligible for WF upgrade policy ... you would be better off with a different selection from WF (ACA, Expert Selection, or Premium Select), imo. Plus, that is a 60/60 style stone with a shallow crown angle of 32 ... leading to a thin crown of only 12.5%. I think you can do better.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Size can be distorted a bit from hanging on PS. Some people think anything above 1.3 carats is when diamonds start to look large. My personal comfort level is under 8 mm, but that may change in the future, lol. I do not have a small finger size (middle finger ring is size 7), but my hands are still relatively small (I am 5’1”). I find that 7.7 mm looks big in the mirror ... bigger than it does to me when I am just looking at it ... as with all things diamond, personal preference rules.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are four Whiteflash diamonds that are under or a smidge over budget via wire payment. All are noted to be eye clean, but I would still have WF confirm it’s eye clean to your specs. They are all great performers, with ACA being their top of the line super ideal and expert selection being a diamond that narrowly missed super-ideal branding. For what it’s worth, my diamond in the avatar is a WF Expert Selection and it is amazing! Also, all of those diamonds qualify for WF’s great upgrade program, should you ever choose to do so.

I think any of these would be a lovely diamond; and if one strikes your fancy, I suggest contacting them immediately to put it on hold, as people do lurk on here and poach diamonds others are considering.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4042793,4013665,4018632,3947718

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
She would prefer round. That is a great deal! Do you think 7mm is optimal? What about 8mm? I would like it to be bigger but not impractical, you know?

Thanks!

Optimal is all in the eye of the beholder. The previous posts gave you great advice. Do you know how color sensitive she is? I’ve had g, h, & I colored diamonds. I prefer h because I feel like i’m getting a value. If your future fiancée would rather have a higher color I would go with the h/vs2/1.5 that was shared above. If she’s less color sensitive, I would go with the 1.8/I/vs2. I don’t like to go lower than vs2, but again, that’s personal preference. Just remember, cut is king. If you stick with whiteflash’s aca you’ll have a beautiful stone that has a larger presence than a poorly cut stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks!
FYI, A diamond usually shrinks about .15mm per yr?..;))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is Virtual Selection ... Virtual Selection is not eligible for WF upgrade policy ... you would be better off with a different selection from WF (ACA, Expert Selection, or Premium Select), imo. Plus, that is a 60/60 style stone with a shallow crown angle of 32 ... leading to a thin crown of only 12.5%. I think you can do better.
Agreed. A virtual selection from WF is no better than any random virtual stone and comes with zero Whiteflash benefirs. I would avoid this one.

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice! Do you have a recommendation from whiteflash for around a 2ct H Si1 or better for around 15k?

Thanks again for all of your feedback :).

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock
Here are four Whiteflash diamonds that are under or a smidge over budget via wire payment. All are noted to be eye clean, but I would still have WF confirm it’s eye clean to your specs. They are all great performers, with ACA being their top of the line super ideal and expert selection being a diamond that narrowly missed super-ideal branding. For what it’s worth, my diamond in the avatar is a WF Expert Selection and it is amazing! Also, all of those diamonds qualify for WF’s great upgrade program, should you ever choose to do so.

I think any of these would be a lovely diamond; and if one strikes your fancy, I suggest contacting them immediately to put it on hold, as people do lurk on here and poach diamonds others are considering.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4042793,4013665,4018632,3947718

These are amazing! I am going to look into these further and make a decision!

Thank you!!!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are amazing! I am going to look into these further and make a decision!

Thank you!!!!

You’re most welcome. When searching on WF’s website, be sure to check the box for ‘in house inventory’. Those are the diamonds they have in hand/vault and can assess and advise first-hand on. Good luck! :wavey:

Itzsarcazm

Rough_Rock
You’re most welcome. When searching on WF’s website, be sure to check the box for ‘in house inventory’. Those are the diamonds they have in hand/vault and can assess and advise first-hand on. Good luck! :wavey:

I can't find pear ones on whiteflash. Do you have a site recommendation to get a pear?

Thanks!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks!

I can't find pear ones on whiteflash. Do you have a site recommendation to get a pear?

Thanks!

Hang on what? Pear? I thought you were looking for round?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results