shape
carat
color
clarity

New Spring Clothes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Even though the economy is in the crapper, I wanted to start a spring wardrobe thread. I figured we could even use it as a dressing on a budget kind of thread. Basically tell everyone what items you want (or like) and maybe someone will know a good place to find them.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for starting the thread penn - unfortunately I don''t have any great ideas to contribute, but I''d especially appreciate seeing any ideas anyone has for business-appropriate clothes on a budget - I''m starting a new job in August and I need to build a whole wardrobe, and I don''t want it to be dowdy or unflattering, but I still want it to be professional and polished and age-appropriate.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what do you have in the way of basics? And thinking about what you current have, what are your favorites?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
This is my kind of thread Pennquaker!

AmberG- I always find cute sweaters at Target and on sale at Jcrew that could work for business casual. What exactly are you looking for?

Has anyone seen any cute, cheap watches lately? I''m really weird in that I like either really cheap or really expensive things. I definitely can''t afford the expensive stuff right now... so I''m looking for cheap. Preferably a non-brand or something without the brand''s logo/name on it. I know its strange that I would rather wear a $20 watch from Target with no brand name than a $100 Fossil watch with the logo on it...
3.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 4:34:56 AM
Author: oobiecoo

AmberG- I always find cute sweaters at Target and on sale at Jcrew that could work for business casual. What exactly are you looking for?

Has anyone seen any cute, cheap watches lately? I''m really weird in that I like either really cheap or really expensive things. I definitely can''t afford the expensive stuff right now... so I''m looking for cheap. Preferably a non-brand or something without the brand''s logo/name on it. I know its strange that I would rather wear a $20 watch from Target with no brand name than a $100 Fossil watch with the logo on it...
3.gif

TOTALLY not weird, Oobiecoo. It''s amazing how many mass-market, mid-range products aren''t of a better quality than those that target the budget-conscious. (I suppose it''s not THAT surprising when it turns out that so many items like this are made in the exact same factory in China.)

So what are you thinking of in a watch? Metal? Color? Face size? Do you have a picture of an "inspiration watch" that you really, really like?

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:34:44 PM
Author:pennquaker09
Even though the economy is in the crapper, I wanted to start a spring wardrobe thread. I figured we could even use it as a dressing on a budget kind of thread. Basically tell everyone what items you want (or like) and maybe someone will know a good place to find them.

Pennquaker, I love that you started this thread. I am SOOOO going to take you up on your offer when I get the "I need new clothes NOW" bug!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Glad this thread was started! I just bought cute Mexx sheer printed top--it was a steal....nothing else, yet. I am finding the hemlines are very short this year--that will negate me buying a lot of dresses.....

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 9:06:32 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Glad this thread was started! I just bought cute Mexx sheer printed top--it was a steal....nothing else, yet. I am finding the hemlines are very short this year--that will negate me buying a lot of dresses.....

cheers--Sharon
I am finding the same thing, Sharon, and as a tall woman I cannot do super short hemlines. Isn''t there a correlation between hemlines and the economy? I''ll have to do a search for an article on that and post it somewhere, but I''m pretty sure that when spending is out of style hemlines go down, and when it''s in they go up--or maybe I have that switched around.
9.gif

My only buys this season are super cheap and trendy additions to the classic pieces in my wardrobe that I had already splurged on within the last 5 years. No more uber expensive jeans, no more "just because" fun designer tops, etc. The local Maurices (like The Buckle, a store that caters to rural America) provides me with plenty of fashion excitement on the cheap. God knows I have plenty of clothing even though I''m a clotheshorse, but now it''s time to pare down and ride out this ridiculous recession. Thanks PQ for posting this thread!
36.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 1:36:57 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

3.gif

TOTALLY not weird, Oobiecoo. It''s amazing how many mass-market, mid-range products aren''t of a better quality than those that target the budget-conscious. (I suppose it''s not THAT surprising when it turns out that so many items like this are made in the exact same factory in China.)

So what are you thinking of in a watch? Metal? Color? Face size? Do you have a picture of an ''inspiration watch'' that you really, really like?

I like stainless or something like it... usually with a larger face. I really love the Rolex Yacht Master and also the Michele watches that have the chronograph sort of thing going on.
Any suggestions?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple pics of them... the rolex is the men''s version but the ladies looks pretty much the same.

chronomichele2784.jpg

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

yachtmaster24.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 9:48:59 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 3/12/2009 9:06:32 PM
HI:

cheers--Sharon
I am finding the same thing, Sharon, and as a tall woman I cannot do super short hemlines. Isn''t there a correlation between hemlines and the economy? I''ll have to do a search for an article on that and post it somewhere, but I''m pretty sure that when spending is out of style hemlines go down, and when it''s in they go up--or maybe I have that switched around.
9.gif

My only buys this season are super cheap and trendy additions to the classic pieces in my wardrobe that I had already splurged on within the last 5 years. No more uber expensive jeans, no more ''just because'' fun designer tops, etc. The local Maurices (like The Buckle, a store that caters to rural America) provides me with plenty of fashion excitement on the cheap. God knows I have plenty of clothing even though I''m a clotheshorse, but now it''s time to pare down and ride out this ridiculous recession. Thanks PQ for posting this thread!
36.gif
HI:

Good on ya Monnie about the economic times and hemlines! I can''t wear them cuz I''m just too old! I hate scaring people when I go out.....
9.gif

I know that Micheal Kors always has cute dresses and often in lengths I can wear--I bought two last year. I just love white for summer but in no short time my dresses are coffee, lipstick and wine stained; so it seems I need a new white one every year.....

cheers--Sharon

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 1:12:32 AM
Author: pennquaker09
Well, what do you have in the way of basics? And thinking about what you current have, what are your favorites?

Let''s see, basics. Right now I have:

one well-fitted (though needs the sleeves altered) navy pinstripe suit from J Crew - I got both the skirt and the pants to go with it, so those are good pieces I think

one poorly-fitted black and one beige suit from Banana Republic - these are pretty unflattering though so I think I''d mostly wear the pants, and for whatever reason, the beige ones fit WAY better than the black ones

I have a couple of nice hammered silk blouses from J Crew - one light grey and one bright pink

I also have my current favorite, a pair of wide-leg, glen plaid trousers from Banana Republic - I love them because they are comfortable but still look sharp, and the wide legs are flattering and forgiving
1.gif

I have a decent selection of sweaters - blacks, navy blues, and one beige and one pink, mostly cardigans in a variety of weights

I also have a decent selection of shoes - mostly black and brown and variations on pumps, but fashionably nice ones, not frumpy ones - I don''t do frumpy shoes (or at least I don''t plan to once I''m through with working in a lab)
3.gif

I''d love to find some dresses and skirts that would be good for work, ''cause it''ll be HOT in Houston. Also blouses, and additional pants. Its a little tough for me, especially with the tops, because I''m petite (usually a size 4/6) and yet very curvy, so lots of tops are either too revealing or they just can''t be made to fit right...

I''d really like to build a wardrobe that is a step above the normal somewhat frumpy stuff I''ve seen a lot of women wear - many of the women who I''ve met at my new company manage to dress both fashionably and professionally, so that''s my general goal...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock

See below - I posted more info than anyone (I''m sure) ever needed about my business wardrobe
3.gif

I do definitely have my eye on a couple of things, mainly this dress from J Crew - probably in the Navy.

I guess when I think of fashionable but work-appropriate I think of something like that dress + cute cardigan + fun necklaces + cute but tailored heels.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The heat here definitely makes it difficult to dress nice in my opinion. No one wants to feel sweaty in a suit or whatever all day!

The Jcrew link didn''t work for me
7.gif
. All of their dresses are cute though so I''m sure the one you like will be nice. I don''t know if you''re wanting to buy any new heels but check out a Nine West outlet if you can find one. The prices are really good and then they always have BOGO half off sales so it makes it even better. I buy almost all my heels there since the prices are good and they always have size 5s. Banana Republic outlets always have a good selection of dresses, skirts and pants too. I know I keep talking about outlets but the deals really are good. There''s a 30% Gap coupon you can download right now if you find anything there and want to save a little bit.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks oobie - I'm actually thinking of hitting up Banana this weekend with that 30% discount, just to see what they have, although their clothes haven't been fitting me very well lately, not sure why
7.gif
J Crew's tend to be a much better fit for me in general (and of course, way more expensive
3.gif
).

I'm sorry the link didn't work - it works on my computer, but maybe that's 'cause its a Mac. Its called the stretch cotton sateen Daphne dress - its sort of a shift style but with some cute pleating detail. It comes in stretch wool as well as the cotton.

ETA: forgot to add, I was actually at the Banana and Gap outlets a couple of weeks ago and I didn't see a single thing I even wanted to try on, I think I just caught them at a bad time or something...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch - Yes, there is a correlation about hemlines and the economy. The worse it is, the longer the hemlines of skirts. The economy also has an affect on what is considered desirable re: weight/build of women. In "Alllure" magazine, they said that during economic distress, "curvier" women are considered more desirable (I''m not sure as a role model to women or as an attraction to men). Of course, the magazine didn''t actually apply that rule to their photo layouts
20.gif

My last splurge was a pair of 7s mentioned in another thread (a month or two back) which is part of my usual trend of buying a pair of designer jeans every six months. All my jeans are designer but most of my shirts are from cheap stores like Gap & Old Navy. Yep, $158 jeans paired with a $10 Old Navy t-shirt
1.gif
T-shirts are t-shirts. I cannot imagine spending $50 on a black fitted shirt. . .and I figure if I wear expensive jeans, my t-shirts will somehow look more fancy!!!
9.gif

All I plan to buy for the summer are t-shirts & shorts. Unless I''m working by then, all my days will be spent at the park, so I''ll dress casually and wear the same havaianas that have held up for a few years now.

(oh, and up until last summer, when my DH changed jobs, I bought tons of Free People camisoles and sweaters. . .now I cringe at the prices I didn''t flinch over!)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 4:48:08 PM
The heat here definitely makes it difficult to dress nice in my opinion. No one wants to feel sweaty in a suit or whatever all day!

The Jcrew link didn''t work for me
7.gif
. All of their dresses are cute though so I''m sure the one you like will be nice. I don''t know if you''re wanting to buy any new heels but check out a Nine West outlet if you can find one. The prices are really good and then they always have BOGO half off sales so it makes it even better. I buy almost all my heels there since the prices are good and they always have size 5s. Banana Republic outlets always have a good selection of dresses, skirts and pants too. I know I keep talking about outlets but the deals really are good. There''s a 30% Gap coupon you can download right now if you find anything there and want to save a little bit.
My friend swears by outlets and just the other day, bought all her spring clothes there! She said she found tons of cute shirts at The Gap Outlet for less than $10 a shirt. I''m hoping to find a few things there when I head up next week. If not, I''ll go crazy at the Cosmetics Company Outlet and buy a few new MAC eye shadow
1.gif

Oobiecoo - does the Nine West outlet have a wide selection in most sizes? I''ve seen the outlet store, but haven''t been in there yet. I buy about half my shoes at Nord. Rack to save $, however, end up paying full-price for many pairs at the regular Nord. because I''m picky and wear only black shoes (lol!), so I don''t need as many pairs to round out my collection.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Amber- I looked up that Jcrew dress... very cute!

MC- Yes, the Nine West outlet seems to always have a good selection of all sizes. They usually have a lot of black option too so maybe you''ll find something you like
3.gif
I''m the same way as you... I think one nice piece of clothing will help "make" the outfit... even if the shoes and shirt cost $10 each!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, I''m pretty friendly with the people at the Gap and Banana stores I shop at so I have some 30% codes if anybody wants them. They can be used online once from now until Sunday.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wonder if Gap or BL has any short/cropped skinny pants this season....don''t want to break the bank....

Bought two Sarah Pacini pieces--her stuff is lightweight and airy.

cheers--Sharon

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Well, this isn''t so much shopping yet, but I am totally digging the blend of architectual line and ruffle of the new collection in the March LV show. The black suit with the pink in the first couple minutes (tiny waist, flounced collar) is totally my cup o'' tea, and I''m dying to see more of those black and green handbags that go whipping on by!:

http://www.louisvuitton.com/web/flash/index.jsp?langue=en_US&buy=1&direct1=unfa&direct2=unfa_fww_e02&campaign=e_0309_WomenFashShow_US_Core

(P.S. I have boots that look like those in the show already, but I''ve never been able to wear them out the house yet! Ah, how often the fine line between "haute couture" and "hooker" gets blurred....
12.gif
)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 8:37:23 PM
Author: diamondsrock
I am definately on a budget and am putting great care into what few items I do buy!

I just bought this at Lands End and it's really cute

http://www.landsend.com/pp/34sleeveSplitNeckNoIronPatternTop~194117_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::TVW&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000084&origin=index

Ooh, cute! How do you plan to wear it, Diamondsrock? I'd guess that Lands End shows its practical side, but doesn't it look like something Betsy Draper on "Mad Men" would wear pressed and tucked into a gorgeous skirt? (I love your selection, DR-- it looks like it could worn both retro and contemporary. Nice!)

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 8:45:59 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Date: 3/14/2009 8:37:23 PM
Author: diamondsrock
I am definately on a budget and am putting great care into what few items I do buy!

I just bought this at Lands End and it''s really cute

http://www.landsend.com/pp/34sleeveSplitNeckNoIronPatternTop~194117_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::TVW&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000084&origin=index

Ooh, cute! How do you plan to wear it, Diamondsrock? I''d guess that Lands End shows its practical side, but doesn''t it look like something Betsy Draper on ''Mad Men'' would wear pressed and tucked into a gorgeous skirt? (I love your selection, DR-- it looks like it could worn both retro and contemporary. Nice!)
hmmm, I''m probably just going to wear it with khakis for work, or jeans on the weekend. I like basic things, and I like the fit on this shirt. I actually got it in the red color. Although I think it would look really cute with white capris. It''s actually not as long as it looks in the photo.
I find if I buy basic type clothes, then I get more wear out of them. When I buy more trendy items, they end up sitting in my drawer all season. I''m a pretty plain girl!
21.gif
The most important thing to me is the fit.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 12:16:06 AM
Author: pennquaker09
If you happen to make your way to Gap. Try either the Hip Slung Fit or the Curvy.

Amber, do you think you could get away with wearing a dark denim jacket to work? Also, I like this:

Banana Republic Sheath Dress

Classic Pencil Skirt (even though I think Gap has one cheaper)

The Rugby Cardigan

Ruffle Top (in Navy)

Linen Hip Slung Pant

Single Button White Blazer

Straight Fit Flare (Grey Pearl)

Thanks Penn, those are AWESOME ideas - much appreciated. I especially LOVE the ruffled shirt (nice for the hot weather!) and those straight-leg pants from Gap - I''ve got the code as well, so I think I might order those and see how they fit.

In the meantime, I''m getting there slowly but surely - I found a couple of cute things yesterday. I got that Daphne sheath dress from J Crew in black, some dark grey herringbone trousers, and a lavender button down blouse (needs to come in a bit at the waist, but not a bad fit overall). Also, a cute raspberry-colored button down blouse from Nordie''s that (miraculously!) doesn''t need any alteration at all!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I need a great strapless bra for all those low spring and summery things--any suggestions???

cheers--Sharon

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:06:44 AM
HI:

I need a great strapless bra for all those low spring and summery things--any suggestions???

cheers--Sharon

Go get fitted by someone really good. I think mine is Le Mystere - it was SO TOUGH to find one that worked, and it wasn''t cheap, but so VERY worth it
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results