shape
carat
color
clarity

New Smartphone Suggestions?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I am in the market to upgrade my iPhone 3 to a new model. At this point I'm considering the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy S II, but I'm open to other models as well. Any suggestions?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
ladypirate|1318889308|3042289 said:
I am in the market to upgrade my iPhone 3 to a new model. At this point I'm considering the iPhone 4S and the Samsung Galaxy S II, but I'm open to other models as well. Any suggestions?

iPhone 4 or 4S or 3GS (some people are getting 3GS for free now with contract renewal). I would never go back to Samsungs (I only had Samsungs until I got my 3GS) and wouldn't even consider not getting an iPhone after having mine (I got it a few months ago and love it).

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have been thining about this for months (even posted on here about it) and decided to go with an iphone 4s. I should be getting it next week. I ordered it online and they are back ordered saying it would ship by the 28th. I'm excited about it and looking forward to playing with my new toy :)

I have a droid now and hate hate hate it. Its buggy and freezes up. Its my 3rd one in a year because they keep breaking.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Look up some info on the upcoming iPhone 5. I think you'll be impressed.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
if you have to have one now I'd go with iphone4S, I was listening to the radio this morning where the host is showing how you can just ask the phone any question and it will give you a pretty good answer... it just blows my mind

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
i recently got me a samsung galaxy infuse. i LOVE it!!

i REALLY wanted the samsung galaxy s 2 but unfortunately my carrier didn't offer it. boo! it would've cost me WAY too much $ to switch providers so i reluctantly went with the infuse which is VERY SIMILAR to the galaxy s 2. it is the COOLEST device ever. it's got a 4.5 inch screen compared to the iphone's 3.5 inch. my husband has an ipphone 4 and is SO JEALOUS of me! he loves mine. the colors are brighter and crisper than his. my camera is 8 megapixel. it takes SERIOUSLY GORGEOUS shots. up until the new upgrade, the iphone 4 was only 5 mp.

the significant benefits to ANY android over an iphone is this:

iphones do NOT play flash. sucks.
iphones do NOT support java. sucks.
iphones' screens are tiny compared to most of the new android devices.
iphones do NOT carry quickOFFICE which mines does and i can do word processing on the go and save as a .docx file (someone may wanna confirm this. asked the hubby and said his doesn't have quick office)

the samsung galaxy s 2 is considered one of the top smartphones out there. it has a dual core processor which, apparently, makes it one of the fastest and most powerful phones around.

i'd probably get the galaxy s 2 over the infuse BUT i'm beyond pleased and excited with all the crazy crap my infuse can do!

i really thought the new iphone 4s would kick the galaxy's ass but no. i was really surprised at how lacklustre their new phone is. oh well. sadly, it won't take long until my new, shiny, fancy phone will be outdone by some other new-fangled thing. until then, however, i'm pleased as punch.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
fyi... prior to my samsung purchase at the end of august, i'd known very little about the differences between smartphones. i did SO MUCH research comparing models. i even spent a good chunk of time on an android forum. i learned SO MUCH!

i suggest you do the same because after you do, whatever choice you make, it will have been made with a lot of knowledge and confidence.

there are some great tech sites that do very in-depth reviews of these things. people get VERY passionate about their technology. it's a very similar community as it is here on pricescope. there are many who even own multiple smartphones! it's kind of like us crazy pricescopers with our multiple diamonds.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Siri on the new iphone 4S is so much fun! I love that she talks back to you! I think it is a great feature to be able to speak your texts.
I really love it, but then it is my first iphone.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally am not big on Android yet. I had one for about 2 weeks and returned it for the iPhone 4 (and now I have a 4s). Battery life was atrocious, no matter how much I had disabled. While the iPhone cannot be as easily personalized, without Jailbreaking anyway, it's still stable and far less likely to be hacked by someone nefarious.

Android I feel like has a ways to go still, maybe the new OS coming out will be better, but so far...eh. It's not secure enough for me, and it's also a SERIOUS battery hog. You cannot get more than a day from a charge on most phones. Not to mention you usually have nothing but HUGE ridiculously sized phones to choose from, and they seem to just get bigger every time a new one comes out. If I wanted something the size of a tablet, I'd get a tablet.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1318947206|3042673 said:
The Siri on the new iphone 4S is so much fun! I love that she talks back to you! I think it is a great feature to be able to speak your texts.
I really love it, but then it is my first iphone.

Is it accurate? In general, voice to text sucks so I am pretty skeptical about this feature. My husband has an iphone 4 and he has to try 3 or 4 times before the voice command will call the right person.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have the Nexus S and it was far better than my husband's iphone 4 before the latest OS upgrades. Little things, like the ability to project wifi and near field communication make it really functional. I believe iphones can do those things now too though. For a while, it seemed like apple was playing catchup with google. I think they're even now. I do have to laugh whenever my husband gets excited about a new iphone update and its something my android has had all along. The one huge advantage is that the Nexus S can't be locked to a carrier. So if you travel internationally, you can pop a local sim card in to your phone and continue using it without the international charges. This is great for us because I can pop in a prepaid sim, project wifi, and DH can use his iphone.

Not all android phones are created equal. The Nexus S has similar battery life as my husband's iphone. It doesn't have all of the pre-installed stuff that some of the other androids have so that helps with the speed. Its not any bigger than the iphone 4.

If I had to choose again, I would stick with my android.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't always get it right, especially at first, but Siri has the ability to learn your voice the longer you use it. We have just played with
it a little so far, but I can tell you her favorite color is blue/green and she doesn't want to talk about her private life. If you tell her that you are hungry she tells you where the best place to go is and the closest.

She can set your alarm for you or a timer, which I found handy, but I can really do it myself. But it is fun.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the new Samsung galaxy II, and so far I enjoy it, Hubby has the Iphone 4, He has commented about the speed of my phone vs his, plus the display and other application that I have. Speech to text calling, texting and what nots are a very nice feature. Like anitabee has mentioned about the flash and java stuff.

One thing is that I'm having some difficulting getting some of my DVD digital copies onto my phone whereas the iphone just syncs it up no problem. I"ve only had a few days but hubby plays with it often. Although, he's such a tech loyal lover so he stays with his Iphone.

Android has come along way with this galaxy II. Research and test them both out.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input all--I've gone in to look at them once but I think I'm going to go play with them again and see if one jumps out at me.

SneakyBF

Rough_Rock
I would go android over iphone. The iphone is lacking in the web department and thats really what smart phones are all about. In addition the 4s is still not a 4g phone. I would go with an LTE or Wimax enabled Android phone.

Also Samsung just annouced its google nexus version yesterday which is the new top dog of the android world and motorola annouced the droid razr earlier this week which is easily the thinnest smartphone phone in the game at 7mm, and it still has all the high end dual core goodness.

EDIT: Aslo as far as talking to your phone goes google has had that in android for quite some time. I can tell my phone to navigate home, or locate a restaurant and shell do it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results