shape
carat
color
clarity

New setting arrived with porosity problem

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vendor has said that they can return it but will be charged a 15% restocking fee. This doesn't seem right to me. The setting is faulty isn't it? Or is porosity not a fault? I'm confused why they won't accept a return.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm. This seems odd. If the cast has issues then I would think the casting co should take it back.

The only explanation I can think of is that the vendor does not usually order casts like this one, and they had to take some time to order it and evaluate it and discover the issue, so they are passing that on to you the buyer rather than eating the cost. Not sure that is right, but if that was what they told you when you ordered? Not sure what to say. I would be peeved.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know this vendor deals with Unique Settings of New York. I'm really confused here. The setting is faulty. Its already been packed up for return because of the porosity. Then when I enquire about just refunding the setting they told me the setting isn't faulty. Just has porosity.... which I thought was a fault.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perhaps Unique does not consider that a fault for refund but the vendor will not work with/sell a setting like that?

Will they order another one with no restocking fee?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know whats happening. They have packed up the setting with my stone set in it and returned it to Unique. I'm trying to find out whats happening... why the jeweller who set the stone didn't notice the porosity and why they sent my stone in the setting all the way to NY. It was all ready to be shipped to me today and the vendor noticed at the last minute that there was an issue.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and talk to them again, Maise. Perhaps they want Unique to verify that the issue is present? And your stone is set in the ring they are sending to Unique?? That really makes no sense. How are you supposed to get it back? Sounds like something has gotten confused/lost in the communication here.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was told that they were photographing the ring and found the porosity. So they packed the whole ring up and shipped it to Unique. They said that they want the ring to be perfect so they sent the setting back. I don't know why they couldn't unset my stone first. It might not be an expensive stone but I would rather they asked me first before returning it set in the ring.

I just heard from the vendor. Unique are going to fix the porosity with laser. Not sure what that means but I don't think it will be good for my stone if its near the head.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Something is confused. Unique is a reasonable outfit. They may not want to comit to what they're going to do without actually seeing the piece but if it's one of theirs and they have a manufacturing defect, I would fully expect them to make good on it at no cost to you or your jeweler and to do so on a sensible schedule.

Edited: Cross posted with Maisie. A laser welder is the correct tool for the job. It won't damage your diamond no matter how close it is. You can actually laser on prong tips. :bigsmile: I'm glad to hear they're taking care of it.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure they will. I just feel a little but upset that my stone was shipped back to them with the setting. I would rather it had been unset first. I wasn't asked. I was just told that the setting was faulty and it had to be returned.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maisie|1317683487|3032433 said:
I am sure they will. I just feel a little but upset that my stone was shipped back to them with the setting. I would rather it had been unset first. I wasn't asked. I was just told that the setting was faulty and it had to be returned.
I agree, that was a mistake. The entire process should have been discussed with you first. Shipping it with the stone in place is probably the right choice because it avoids the possibility of damaging the stone, the mounting or both during the pull and reset process, but this should NOT have been embarked on without discussing it with you and without your specific go ahead.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neil is the laser welder safe for all types of stones, both natural and simulant, other than diamond? Just curious!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1317681420|3032398 said:
My vendor has said that they can return it but will be charged a 15% restocking fee. This doesn't seem right to me. The setting is faulty isn't it? Or is porosity not a fault? I'm confused why they won't accept a return.
Porosity is a workmanship defect and that is something I would consider their fault and not something you should be charged for being remade properly. I am glad that they are going to do the right thing and remake it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results