shape
carat
color
clarity

New Ruby Ring - Engraving Design Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I picked up my ruby ring this afternoon from the jeweler. I picked a simple setting, and I''m thinking of getting some hand engraving done. I''d appreciate any design ideas you folks might have, since that sort of thing isn''t my strong suit. I was thinking of some sort of flying theme, such as wings or feathers.

Anyhow, here is a picture of my ruby (0.67 ct unheated Burmese) before setting next to a red spinel that I recently had set. Link to red spinel

RubySpin3722.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had it set in 14k gold with a semi-bezel. I''m all about wearability.

RubySet3931.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Side view under incandescent light.

RubyProf3929.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Other side under natural light. Thanks for looking, and if anyone has possible engraving designs, I''d love to see them.

RubyProf3933.JPG

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
This might be a stupid question, but where do you want the engraving? Top of the band? Sides? Wrapping around both?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
WOW. That is Beautiful!

Congratulations and thank you so much for posting so quickly!

LS

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:18:57 PM
Author: misspinky
This might be a stupid question, but where do you want the engraving? Top of the band? Sides? Wrapping around both?
Not stupid at all. I was thinking mainly along the top of the band, about half way around. I don''t need it on the palm side of my hand. It can be along the sides as well. I''m open to ideas.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:19:35 PM
Author: LostSapphire
WOW. That is Beautiful!

LS
Thanks, LS. I knew it was expected. I''m sure you will post your new ring quickly as well!!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Not stupid at all. I was thinking mainly along the top of the band, about half way around. I don''t need it on the palm side of my hand. It can be along the sides as well. I''m open to ideas.

Hmmmmmmm...I''ll think of some ideas

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:26:15 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 8/8/2008 8:19:35 PM
WOW. That is Beautiful!

LS
Thanks, LS. I knew it was expected. I''m sure you will post your new ring quickly as well!!
I am really surprised you had photos so fast! Part of me thought there would be nothing until the engraving was done!

Thank you for feeding our obsession! Helps make the wait a bit easier to look at other people''s bling! It is truly lovely and elegant.

LS

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:43:28 PM

I am really surprised you had photos so fast! Part of me thought there would be nothing until the engraving was done!

Thank you for feeding our obsession! Helps make the wait a bit easier to look at other people''s bling! It is truly lovely and elegant.

LS
Well, I''ll be away much of tomorrow and Sunday, so wanted to get photos up quickly. I know how pretty pictures helps the wait.
1.gif

The jeweler suggested I wear it for a while and try to think of a creative design. That''s where I need the people here. That is just not my thing. For what its worth, I''m not paying him designer prices by any means. If I want a fairly standard design, I''m sure he can do that. It''s just that I wanted some sort of flying theme.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:50:58 PM
Author: marcyc
Very pretty.
Thanks marcyc!
1.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful! Thanks for getting pictures up so quickly!

Hmmmmm. Not sure about the engraving, I''ll have to think about it!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl:

I woke up thinking about your ring this morning. Am having difficulty with the idea of engraving, especially because it is so elegant already. I thought of a couple of wings around the bezel but that doesn''t feel quite right....

*what if* you had the jeweller engrave INSIDE the band "never tell a girl she can''t fly"?

LS

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 9:26:53 AM
Flygirl:

I woke up thinking about your ring this morning. Am having difficulty with the idea of engraving, especially because it is so elegant already. I thought of a couple of wings around the bezel but that doesn''t feel quite right....

*what if* you had the jeweller engrave INSIDE the band ''never tell a girl she can''t fly''?

LS

That''s exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. I toyed with the idea of wings centered around the bezel but I wasn''t sure what that would look like. And I LOVE engraving inside of bands. I have a ring of my great grandmothers that is a gold band with initials on the inside. One set is hers and one set is someone else''s (not my great grandfather''s--scandalous, I know).

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 10:09:30 AM
Author: misspinky

Date: 8/9/2008 9:26:53 AM
Flygirl:

*what if* you had the jeweller engrave INSIDE the band ''never tell a girl she can''t fly''?

LS

That''s exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. I toyed with the idea of wings centered around the bezel but I wasn''t sure what that would look like. And I LOVE engraving inside of bands. I have a ring of my great grandmothers that is a gold band with initials on the inside. One set is hers and one set is someone else''s (not my great grandfather''s--scandalous, I know).

AH MissPinky you and I always seem to be on the same page!
2.gif

LS

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like your ideas, LS and Miss Pinky. I am loving it the way it is. I''m kicking around having engraving inside with my initials, pilot rating and date, perhaps.

Then I''d have to get another ring when I get my next rating!
31.gif
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 10:33:00 AM
I like your ideas, LS and Miss Pinky. I am loving it the way it is. I'm kicking around having engraving inside with my initials, pilot rating and date, perhaps.

Then I'd have to get another ring when I get my next rating!
31.gif
9.gif

Lovely!

The other thing I thought of (so as not to mess with the elegance of the setting) could maybe be to have a small engraving on the underside of the shank. So it would be under your finger but on the outside...maybe a small set of wings or something?

And of course, I am loving the idea of the engraving something on the inside.....

LS

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely ring!!!!!

I am just drooooling at your first photo as well, with that gorgeous red spinel necklace.

I''m in love with those red stones against the yellow gold: it''s perfect together!

I think the ring would look amazing with a Chinese-style phoenix engraved down each side of the ring. (Or maybe a dragon on one side & a phoenix on the other). The colours look so exotic, that''s what I''d do if it were mine. :)

x x x

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl, your ring is so pretty! I love the elegance of it - it''s so classy.

For engraving, do you want a more intricate pattern (like a detailed floral) or something more simple? I think with the half-bezel and the colors, something simple would set off the entire thing gorgeously - I''m not sure what though! I like simple leaves and vine, but I''m not sure it suits the colors as well. I like Cleo''s dragon/phoenix idea because it goes with the red and gold so perfectly...but it might not be what you have in mind for this.

How about the wings on the underside, and the quote on the inside? That way the symplicity of the stone and band aren''t disrupted, and you have a really complementary outside/inside engraving? With the upside that if your ring ever flips around, no one would be able to tell since the engraving is on the bottom!
1.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 10:33:00 AM
I like your ideas, LS and Miss Pinky. I am loving it the way it is. I''m kicking around having engraving inside with my initials, pilot rating and date, perhaps.

Then I''d have to get another ring when I get my next rating!
31.gif
9.gif
LOL! Sounds like a plan to me!

I really do like the way your ring looks now!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s really pretty. I''m also on the side of engraving inside. I like it as it is right now!
36.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Your ruby ring is just gorgeous Fly Girl !!
36.gif

Count me for the inside engraving vote. Have you considered tiny engraving on the profile of the bezel?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hey Fly Girl, any news on the engraving front?
10.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love rubies ( and red spinels like your pendant)! i think it loks great in the setting, but engraving would be nice too. what about a simple wheat type design? have you been to the jewelry expert site before? There are some nicely engraved rings on that site.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Update on my ruby ring. I decded I liked the ring as it was, so planned to leave it alone. But it was a bit rough, so I took it in to have the finish smoothed out. The jeweler took another look and said the entire setting needed to be recast due to bubbles in the metal. Sponging, he called it. I picked up the newly reset ring last week, took it back to my desk and louped it, only to discover a big ole scratch across the table along with a nick out of one of the nearby facets.
7.gif
Looks like the setter slipped using a tool. So the jeweler has it back to have the stone cut and polished. He made it sound like a simple thing, but maybe they always do that so you don't start crying in the store and scare off the other customers.
8.gif

I miss my pretty ruby. Supposed to be back next week provided he can locate his favorite cutter. Seems that the guy is frequently in treatment. I sure hope he is sober when working on my stone....
20.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 9:42:18 PM
Update on my ruby ring. I decded I liked the ring as it was, so planned to leave it alone. But it was a bit rough, so I took it in to have the finish smoothed out. The jeweler took another look and said the entire setting needed to be recast due to bubbles in the metal. Sponging, he called it. I picked up the newly reset ring last week, took it back to my desk and louped it, only to discover a big ole scratch across the table along with a nick out of one of the nearby facets.
7.gif
Looks like the setter slipped using a tool. So the jeweler has it back to have the stone cut and polished. He made it sound like a simple thing, but maybe they always do that so you don''t start crying in the store and scare off the other customers.
8.gif

I miss my pretty ruby. Supposed to be back next week provided he can locate his favorite cutter. Seems that the guy is frequently in treatment. I sure hope he is sober when working on my stone....
20.gif
Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear that your ruby was damaged while in for repairs! Hopefully it is totally fixable and it will be back on your finger in no time flat.

Please keep us posted! I''ve been wondering how that project has been coming along.

LS

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Fly, I have to say - you put together some beautiful things. I love your style.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results