shape
carat
color
clarity

New RNC chair: Michael Steele

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28914110

WASHINGTON - Michael Steele was elected Republican National Committee chairman on Friday, defeating the incumbent party chief and three other challengers over six rounds of voting to become the first black to lead the GOP.

The former Maryland lieutenant governor takes over a beleaguered GOP as Republicans seek to rebound from back-to-back defeats in national elections that gave Democrats control of Congress and the White House.

"As a little boy growing up in this town, this is awesome," said Steele, the most moderate candidate in the field and considered an outsider because he''s not a committee member.

In a brief acceptance speech, the new GOP chairman struck a tone of inclusiveness.

"We''re going to say to friend and foe alike: We want you to be a part of us, we want you to with be with us, and for those who wish to obstruct, get ready to get knocked over," Steele said.

He won 91 votes out of a possible 168 in the sixth round. A simple majority of 85 was needed, but it took six rounds for Steele to win.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Wow...well...congratulations to him.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Very excited, he''s who I was pulling for.
36.gif

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 5:05:22 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Very excited, he''s who I was pulling for.
36.gif

Me too...!!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I hope this will mean actual change and not just symbolic change. Good for him, and hopefully good for the party!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
He was my candidate too. Very happy with this result.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!

Lanny Davis, Attorney and Democratic strategist:
As I stated in a previous Politico Arena, Michael Steele was positively my last preference for RNC Chair -- since he was, and is, by far, the most effective, articulate center - right voice of the Republican Party, with a firm but friendly manner on TV and, thus, the best possible choice for the GOP to appeal to the broad middle of American society. For all those reasons, I hoped the RNC would not elect him. I am surprised that a party that currently has Rush Limbaugh as its leading voice (my personal preference for Republican Chair) would be wise enough to reject Mr. Limbaugh and elect Michael Steele.

As a Democrat, I am very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results