shape
carat
color
clarity

New natural black Welo opal

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is currently being processed to have a ring made with it, but I wanted to share this beautiful black/dark Welo opal I bought from Steve Moriarty at moregems.com. I know there are alot of smoked stones out there, but I trust this great vendor that it is natural :). It is only 2.48cts 5.5x14mm, but it packs a punch :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is currently being processed to have a ring made with it, but I wanted to share this beautiful black/dark Welo opal I bought from Steve Moriarty at moregems.com. I know there are alot of smoked stones out there, but I trust this great vendor that it is natural :). It is only 2.48cts 5.5x14mm, but it packs a punch :)

Beautiful. :love: Cannot wait to see your ring, it's going to be stunning!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Such gorgeous colors. Looking forward to seeing it set!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really special Opal piece!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, there is untreated Black Welo Opal & a find in 2013 (the Stayish mine) that produces a lot of untreated Black Opal that is non-hydrophane, which means does not absorb moisture.

This looks natural and Steve is a very reputable vendor who has very nice Opals.

Much of the black Welo Opal looks like smoked, but much is dark brown. Both normally have transparent to semi-transparent body crystal. No backing black potch like their Aussie counterparts. 100% gem crystal Opal.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool size and shape!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, there is untreated Black Welo Opal & a find in 2013 (the Stayish mine) that produces a lot of untreated Black Opal that is non-hydrophane, which means does not absorb moisture.

This looks natural and Steve is a very reputable vendor who has very nice Opals.

Much of the black Welo Opal looks like smoked, but much is dark brown. Both normally have transparent to semi-transparent body crystal. No backing black potch like their Aussie counterparts. 100% gem crystal Opal.

I've gotten to look at some of this material before, it certainly had me a bit miffed when I first saw it as I thought it was smoked but it wasn't. The piece I saw looked better in the rough than it did cut and apparently it's common for the majority of a bag of this kind of material to be a flop - so I wouldn't be surprised if some Black-Crystal Welo starts to carry a little premium.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I've gotten to look at some of this material before, it certainly had me a bit miffed when I first saw it as I thought it was smoked but it wasn't. The piece I saw looked better in the rough than it did cut and apparently it's common for the majority of a bag of this kind of material to be a flop - so I wouldn't be surprised if some Black-Crystal Welo starts to carry a little premium.

It already has. Sales for much more than non-black Welo Opal cut. Just like any stone, the best specimens are by far the rariest.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful that I would have a hard setting it because I’d be reluctant to cover even a millimeter.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Cant wait to see the finished product!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Some of the flashes look like little fishes swimming at the bottom of the ocean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results