shape
carat
color
clarity

New Mokume Gane ring from Bruce Boone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just received my 9mm wide titanium ring with a 2.5mm inlay of yg & SS mokume gane. The whole ring has a high polish. It''s really nice and I shall post photos when I get home tonight

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Okay...we're waiting!
4.gif

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OK, here is one shot. I's not easy to photograph, especially since I don't have any fancy equipment, but it's accurate.

I thank Bruce. I don't know if he reads PS...

Mokume1.jpg

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's another shot... It's nice and light, of course, being titanium. I think the inlay is unique and most attractive...

Mokume2.jpg

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last one...I mean last photo, not last ring....

Mokume3.jpg

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful ring and you got it so fast. It looks like it has an animal print on it.
love.gif
I have never heard of Mokume Gane.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Nice ring RM, very unique. Bruce does post here from time to time under the name "boonerings". You might want to message him and he may pop in to make some comments. I also have a titanium ring from Bruce (simple wedding band) and a very happy customer of his great work!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not terribly familiar with it either. I do know that it's a Japanese metal working technique. As far as I know, it was not originally used for jewelry. That might be a western take on it, but if anyone knows for sure please feel free to correct me. ( I thought it was mostly for swords and knives)

I can help with the pronunciation though. It goes like this: moku-meh gah-neh

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comments! I emailed Bruce and told him I was posting the photos here.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
RM...Very attractive ring!

Sumi, I think you're right, if I remember what I read a long time ago, the craft was perfected for the swords and belt knives of the Samuri.

win

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
My ancestors on my mother's side were samurai and we still have a samurai sword in the family. I don't remember if our family sword was made with the mokume gane technique (it's in Japan with my grandma and I've only seen it once), but I always picture the edge of Japanese knives and swords with that swirled look to it.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Sumi

Thanks for putting up my misspelling of Samurai...I noticed when you typed it, I had forgotten the 'a'.

errrr.gif

win

Beth

Shiny_Rock
It looks really good Rodie. One down, one to go! Will this be your right hand ring with the 8* on the left or just one at a time? It looks really comfortable too. Very sleek. CongRATS ! Quick turnaround time too it seems.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Very cool. Thanks for posting the picture!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finaly some work on Mokume Gane! ... some of the best modern (and western) makers of it are to be found in the US, and by now it surely is mainstream jewelry material.

You like ?
2.gif

Griffin ?! Any comments?

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
That is a sharp looking ring you have there, RM!
9mm wide, great width!

Just A Kitty

Rough_Rock
Goodlooking ring RM.
lickout.gif
I came across the website posted above while trying to find some information on rosegold wedding bands.I never found what I was looking for, but enjoyed reading how these types of rings are created.Enjoy your new piece of finger art.
2.gif
JAK

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a really interesting and good looking ring! I love that fact that it is so unique, but still a simple design.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very unique, I don't usually see the SS & Gold mixture on Titanium. Looks great!
10.gif

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys. Rodentman, it's good to have you on this forum. I read the forum whenever I can. I was in the shop till 2:00 am last night. That's the "secret" to good turnaround time. Working half days. And it doesn't matter which 12 (or 18) hours you work!
6.gif
) I would have had Rodentman's ring done about 4 days earlier if I wasn't experimenting with some tungsten. We'll have the answer to that soon enough.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/9/2004 4:27:26 PM rodentman wrote:

"I just received my 9mm wide titanium ring with a 2.5mm inlay of yg & SS mokume gane."

I read the entire thread before giving my opinion just on the looks of the ring because I was pretty lost. I agree with Mexi that the inlay initially looked like animal skin to me (leopard skin, in particular).

So the ring is titanium with an inlay of yellow gold and sterling silver (yg and ss) made with the mokume gane technique. Correct?

AnA's link is interesting. This quotation is from that website:

"Mokume translates from Japanese as 'wood eye' which refers to the burl type of wood grain and gane means 'metal'. The technique was originally created to make parts of the handle for the samurai's sword. The beautiful patterns in these pieces for the handle would reflect similar patterns developed in the forging of the sword blade. Today the beautiful and unique patterns in mokume are used to create one of a kind rings and jewelry."

I had never even heard of mokume gane, let alone seen it. Thank you for the education, everyone. Wear the ring in good health, r-man. It is unique and beautiful.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
What AGBF said about not knowing the style.
1.gif

Thanks Val for the link so we can all learn!
2.gif

Very Kewl ring, RM!!
3.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sharp Ring Bob..!

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Ahh Mokume, Nice to see there are people out there who also reconize what it is, I love the stuff myself, and of course love making it
1.gif

The hardest part is getting a good pattern on a wide band. Anway I just had to post a pic
1.gif

Here are some 7mm and 5mm rings I did out of Palladium and sterling, my favorite combo.

PDwhite2.jpg

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
I massively approve of the "leopard print" effect of the Mokume! I have never seen it come out quite that distinct before. It looks really good with the titanium.

Each maker of Mokume Gane has a distinctive signature in the patterning, even if they use the same technique as others. It's like a fingerprint.
Everytime I try to duplicate someone elses patterns, I wind up with something almost completely UNLIKE what I was trying to copy in the first place, but just as cool. It just works that way - it is too complex and labor intensive to quantify exact results.

I think thats one reason I like the stuff. No two sets will ever look the same, and it will never wind up in MegaCrappyLoMart or the Maul.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results