shape
carat
color
clarity

New Member, Searching for engagement ring

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but I've been doing research. I am looking for a high quality diamond for my engagement ring. My budget is around 5-6, and already found the band. I'm looking for a nice diamond for the right price (Around 4-4500 Max). From one I found, it scores a 2 on the cut adviser, ( https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vvs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3292586 ). Any recommendations? I've never thought of looking online, however the prices seem to be much lower for better quality. Thanks again.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Welcome to Pricescope!

You should be looking for HCA <2, so technically this would be rejected. Also, is there any reason for such high color and clarity?? D/VVS is total overkill... you'd be just as well with a G/H, VS2/SI1 (eye clean). :)

I'll try to find some options for you. :)

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. I'm honestly not an expert and this is my first time. I was originally looking for something high quality. A round stone, 1.00 carat max size. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking on www.jamesallen.com lately due to them showing the exact diamond with zoom. On my quest with a few local stores, everything seemed way over priced compared to online. I am also mostly interested in diamonds with a GIA certification.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Stone I posted is almost 1ct. It falls into beautiful HCA Scale position. It's VS2, eye clean, AGS certed, and XXX-Ideal Cut. It's an H in color, but in the right setting, it will face up true white. There is no Flurescence, and no culet. It's right under your max budget for your diamond.
You're welcome! lol!!! :lol-2:

Hello,
Thank you for the reply. I'm honestly not an expert and this is my first time. I was originally looking for something high quality. A round stone, 1.00 carat max size. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking on www.jamesallen.com lately due to them showing the exact diamond with zoom. On my quest with a few local stores, everything seemed way over priced compared to online. I am also mostly interested in diamonds with a GIA certification.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

The thing that makes a diamond sparkle is CUT. A D/IF stone won't sparkle unless the cut is on point. FWIW, G/H and eye clean is what I'd be looking for to maximize your budget.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing that makes a diamond sparkle is CUT. A D/IF stone won't sparkle unless the cut is on point. FWIW, G/H and eye clean is what I'd be looking for to maximize your budget.

Ditto! :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this stone. Very nice, @Matthews1127!!
Thank you, @msop04!
It seems this step-cut lover has been taught a bit about MRB's, after all! lol!!
@Mech1UP:
I don't know anything about B2C's refund/return/upgrade policies. However, you should contact them ASAP, and get the info, PRONTO! Diamonds posted to PS don't last long!! Act NOW! Even if you ask them to hold it for you so you can further investigate...do it!!!
I'm actually surprised at what high quality that stone is for the price...and that I found it...lol!!! :lol-2:

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
Both are clearly a way better buy, and look amazing! You guys are awesome, I really do appreciate help like this! I have not looked at a stone with AGS, but I hear they are just as reputable.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are clearly a way better buy, and look amazing! You guys are awesome, I really do appreciate help like this! I have not looked at a stone with AGS, but I hear they are just as reputable.

AGS is actually much more strict on cut. GIA XXX is a very broad range (some are good, some are dogs), but AGS Ideal is top quality cut. That's why you don't have to run the HCA on them - AGS has already graded it for performance for you! :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS is actually much more strict on cut. GIA XXX is a very broad range (some are good, some are dogs), but AGS Ideal is top quality cut. That's why you don't have to run the HCA on them - AGS has already graded it for performance for you! :)
@msop04,
I love the stone you posted from BN, as well. Tough choice...but you're right; the AGS0 Ideal Diamond doesn't get any better...
Your call, @Mech1UP ...
Please let us know which you choose!!! Both are spectacular!!
I can't wait to see it set & ready for proposal!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04,
I love the stone you posted from BN, as well. Tough choice...but you're right; the AGS0 Ideal Diamond doesn't get any better...
Your call, @Mech1UP ...
Please let us know which you choose!!! Both are spectacular!!
I can't wait to see it set & ready for proposal!!!

They are almost identical in face up, so I think they'd both be amazing! The BN stone has SBF, which is super cool to me (assuming no negative effects). But the B2C stone is AGS Ideal, so there's no question about the cut. Tough call, indeed.

Edit: they are about the same price -- OOPS!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mech1UP, I'd put both of those stones on hold, ASAP!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are almost identical in face up, so I think they'd both be amazing! The BN stone has SBF, which is super cool to me (assuming no negative effects). But the B2C stone is AGS Ideal, so there's no question about the cut. Tough call, indeed.

Edit: they are about the same price -- OOPS!!
@msop04
I dunno if we solved his dilemma, or if we just complicated his life, but either way, his FF is going to be one lucky lady!!! :lol-2: :mrgreen2:

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
Hahah, I appreciate the help. I need to decide, but I am looking to purchase very soon.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahah, I appreciate the help. I need to decide, but I am looking to purchase very soon.
I'm with @msop04
Place a hold on both stones to determine which one is the one for your FF...
You don't want an unexpected, outside purchase to be your deciding factor. ;)2

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mech1UP, how do you feel about fluorescence? I really love the effect, but some ppl don't care for it. Does your FF have feelings on it?

ETA: I'm almost inclined to go with the BN stone for the following reasons:
- costs less than the AGS and same size
- color is better (although both will be white)
- SBF is cool and will make the stone look even whiter in certain lighting

AFTER YOU PUT BOTH STONES ON HOLD, ask if BN can confirm no milkiness/haziness from the SBF, then have B2C confirm that the H color is a "true H".

Last edited:

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
I'm open to fluorescence. As far as I know, they price them slightly lower if it has a strong fluorescence? I've been also now playing with the cut advisory which I was not before. I feel like I am learning so much already lol.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should also take each vendor's upgrade/trade-in policy into consideration. You may not think she'll ever want to upgrade, but you could be wrong... ;-)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to make sure we don't confuse the two...
IMG_7662.PNG
IMG_7663.PNG
IMG_7664.PNG
B2C is less expensive than BN by a very small margin.
What you will want to confirm:
Fluorescence effect (if any) on the G colored diamond.
Is the H color a "true" H.
Return/Refund/Upgrade Policies.

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
@msop04 , @Matthews1127 : Here it is, and I love it. The strong blue shows when outside in sunlight, but looks amazing. Appears pure white when under clouds. Wasn't sure how i'd feel to it being blue-ish in the sun, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. :)) Was confirmed that it is not milky/hazy/oily. It sparkles for sure!
20170830_135735.jpg 20170830_135839.jpg 20170830_135801.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
that tiny table!!!!:love::love::love: Great choice, i don't envy you having to choose between 2 beautiful stones. lol!

WHat setting are you going with?

Mech1UP

Rough_Rock
I know she loves the halo design, so i've been looking around that area. She is also allergic to nickel, so I am inclined to choose platinum. Thought about palladium, however it may be more difficult to work with from my research. I am still thinking about it, but I like this Gabriel setting. It would of course be more for platinum, but peace of mind for her. Found a local jeweler who could get it done in Platinum for $1650+TX. That would make the grand total right at the top of my budget. Thoughts?
https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER7815W44JJ

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results