shape
carat
color
clarity

New Here: Plz help me decide on 10th Anniversary present!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbinabug

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I''ve been lurking here for awhile and have learned so much. Now I''m hoping you can help me with a decision I''ve been struggling with. (People that know me would laugh, I usually have NO PROBLEM making a decision.) Anyhow, DH and I are coming up on our 10th Anniversary and it''s time for me to "put in my request." When we got engaged, he gave me a 1.01 Radiant (VVS1,H with dimensions of 5.39 x 5.18 x 4.18 - sorry don''t have any other numbers on hand since appraisal in in the safe deposit box) in a simple 14K YG solitaire mounting. After awhile of being in love with my diamond, reality set in and I discovered although it has great sparkle, it is too deep and looks much smaller than it actually is. To capitalize on the depth of the stone, I later had it set in a Gelin & Abaci 14K WG tension setting (TR-054), which I really like the weight and look of. Here is what it looks like, except my stone is square and is pretty much flush with the setting: http://meyersjewelers.com/jewelry/designers/selections/product.cfm?product=3406&category=1&designer=19

This is my problem: I love the look of a larger stone, but am too sentimental to give up the one DH picked out for me. I have seen responses to these posts saying to wear it on the right hand, have it made into a pendant, etc, but I really want to keep it as part of what I wear on my left ring finger. So I''ve narrowed the anniversary gift choices down to 3:

1. Three stone ring using current center stone as new center stone and add 2 - .50 eye clean radiants in similar color and length to width ratio as center stone. My thought is that this would make the ring appear more substantial.

2. Three stone ring using current center stone as side stone with a new eye clean center stone of approximately 1.25 - 1.50 carat, similar color and length to width ratio, then finding a matching side stone to my current radiant. My question here is, do I have to match the depth of the existing radiant for the additional side stone, or are color and length to width ratio enough?

3. Just stop being greedy and be happy with what I have. That being said, I have to get something so I''d be looking at at a prong set princess eternity band (Signed Pieces/Facets) of about 2 carats TW to wear with my current setting.

Sorry for the long post, but I''m really having a tough time with this. I should add, DH and I (and our 2 sons, ages 7 & 4) are going to Maui for a week for our anniversary AND we are looking a buying a new house this spring so I feel really guilty about wanting to spend a lot of $$$ on me, but at the same time, I don''t want to be counting down to the next "big anniversary" to get what I want either. Can you help me??? What would you do???

33.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your 10th!

Only you can determine your budget. Do what you want to including waiting if the time may not be right. 11, 12,13,14,15 etc are all special anniversaries!
9.gif

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
I totally understand your predicament-I am in the process of redesigning my 1.2 ct Radiant Engagement Ring, pre-wedding, and everyone is like "Why are you getting it reset? Don''t you like it". I LOVE the stone but got the plain band on purpose to then reset it once we had the $$$.

Despite just buying a house last summer, planning a destination wedding, and paying off a loan, I just don''t think that we will ever have "the money" to reset it, so we might as well do it now while we have extra cash-flow for the wedding. Thank goodness my fiance understands!

That being said, I LOVE your three-stone ring idea but think using your 1 carat as a sidestone might be much (I can''t believe I said that!
6.gif
) I would use your center stone and get sidestones of Radiants, or Trapezoids, etc., possibly with a Halo or Pave on the band if you want to increase its "bling factor" or its visual size. I bet other people on this forum could give you a few good examples if you ask-I am not that computer literate...Sorry
8.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I love the second idea! But like Diachi said, I think 1 ct. side stones would be a bit much for me, especially if you have small pictures. My mom''s best friend recently got engaged with a 1.8 ct center stone and 1 ct side stones and I can''t believe I am saying this, but its just too much.

(I''m working on getting pics of her ring so I can share them.
2.gif
)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
First of all you don''t have to feel pressure to upgrade on your 10th aniversary if the time is not financially right. I have upgraded on my 15th, 19th, and 28th anniversaries. However I would put in bug in your husband''s ear if you decide to wait so he understands you do want an upgrade before the 20th! If you do upgrade now I like the idea of using your stone as the center stone in a three stone ring. I got a three stone ring with round diamonds last year and it is amazing how much more bling you get with those sidestones!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If Kbinabug is going to get an anniversary present it would have been her 11th this year.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results