shape
carat
color
clarity

new here, and needing dress advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I have been a long time lurker and I need some advice. I have always been fairly non traditional, and quite creative (I''m an artist) and I have never wanted a very traditional dress. So the dress I have designed in my head is a combination of a few dresses. I love the idea, but I''m not sure if it''s too much? Will everyone see it and think "what the heck was she thinking?" Whenever I look at wedding photos, I always think that it''s such a shame that often the detail (beading, lace etc) on the dress seems to get washed out and is not as visible. So here is what I was thinking. Any thoughts and comments are welcome and would be appreciated!!

I want this exact train (color and everything). It looks amazing from the back:

rodarte-romantic.jpg

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
With this bodice (but just the top, I don''t want a mermaid style gown, but a flowy one)

102506b13.jpg

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Do you want the bottom part of the dress that sheer? Personally, I would be very uncomfortable being able to ''see'' that much of the bride. I think if you made the train opaque or lengthened the bodice (maybe bring the blue ruffle things all the way aound to form a short skirt) that people eyes would be on the stunning dress instead of what they can see under the dress
3.gif

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
Maybe this skirt... (actually this dress but not as "mermaid" and with the bodice and bit of ruffle detail as shown in the gowns above)

0126602850085.jpg

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 10:18:38 AM
Author: Sparkly Blonde
Do you want the bottom part of the dress that sheer? Personally, I would be very uncomfortable being able to ''see'' that much of the bride. I think if you made the train opaque or lengthened the bodice (maybe bring the blue ruffle things all the way aound to form a short skirt) that people eyes would be on the stunning dress instead of what they can see under the dress
3.gif
23.gif
Oh hell no!!!! I just want the ruffle effect on the back going around the side a little bit. It remids me of waves. The skirt CANNOT be sheer. That would be awkward...

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think a dress with all your dream components would look great. I have a feeling you might have to get it specially made though.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I think the dress you described will be fabulous|! I particularly love the ruffled train.. so graceful :)
I''m also a fan of non-traditional wedding dresses :)

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Dress 1: Fun for a fashion show- inappropriate for a wedding (at least that sheer)- the bride''s underwear is for the groom to see

Dress 2: Very Lady GaGa
1.gif
It''s interesting

Dress 3: Gorgeous- I''d go for something more like that (personally)

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 7:36:12 PM
Author: oddoneout
I think a dress with all your dream components would look great. I have a feeling you might have to get it specially made though.
I agree, I will definitely not find a combination of all those elements in one dress unless it is custom made. Anyone know what to look for in a great seamstress?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 7:08:54 AM
Author: calamityJJJ

I agree, I will definitely not find a combination of all those elements in one dress unless it is custom made. Anyone know what to look for in a great seamstress?

I would look for a seamstress who not only makes their own garments from scratch but is also very experienced in working with delicate bridal fabrics. Since your gown will most likely involve a good amount of organza, tulle, and lace that last thing is pretty important. When I looked for a seamstress to alter my silk organza gown with Alencon lace applique I made sure that she had tons of bridal specific experience. My dress came back looking perfect. No tears or mistakes that I could find.

labbit

Rough_Rock
I am a huge fan of non-traditional wedding dresses! You should get the dress that you want, regardless of what other people might think.

A bell went off in my head when I was looking at your inspiration pictures. Have you ever heard of Wai-Ching, the Seattle designer? They make beautiful, alternative hand-dyed wedding dresses. No two dresses are alike. You can check them out on http://wai-ching.com/.

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 10:12:38 AM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 4/12/2010 7:08:54 AM
Author: calamityJJJ

I would look for a seamstress who not only makes their own garments from scratch but is also very experienced in working with delicate bridal fabrics. Since your gown will most likely involve a good amount of organza, tulle, and lace that last thing is pretty important. When I looked for a seamstress to alter my silk organza gown with Alencon lace applique I made sure that she had tons of bridal specific experience. My dress came back looking perfect. No tears or mistakes that I could find.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind. Very good advice!

calamityJJJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 4:49:06 PM
Author: labbit
I am a huge fan of non-traditional wedding dresses! You should get the dress that you want, regardless of what other people might think.

A bell went off in my head when I was looking at your inspiration pictures. Have you ever heard of Wai-Ching, the Seattle designer? They make beautiful, alternative hand-dyed wedding dresses. No two dresses are alike. You can check them out on http://wai-ching.com/.
Thanks so much. I had a look, and it does seem that they would be able to provide all the details I want...

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I would check etsy to find a seamstress.There are many people there who make not only there own garments,but wedding dresses as well.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I somehow clicked over onto the blog by The Wedding Chicks (can''t link it because that is against PS rules... just google to find it) and they have a post up featuring this amazing gown designer who is about to graduate from Parson''s. Some of her gowns in the shoot reminded me of what you''re looking for.

The designer''s name is Tara LaTour Lindemeier and her email address is listed at the bottom of the post featuring her gowns. Not sure what your budget is but I think she could be jsut the sort of designer you''re looking for to create your gown!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results