shape
carat
color
clarity

New guy - short on time!

m92371

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, pleasure to join your community here.

Obviously, I'm new. I need a helping hand with a decision - I have two stones, 2.99ct and 3.01ct - almost identical in size. That is not the issue.

I need to know which one will appear noticeably more pink in person and also have more 'brilliance'. I must make a decision within the next 24 hours - please help me choose!!! :D

OPTION 1 - 2.99ct:
IGI: LG11096910
https://igi.org/verify.php?r=LG11096910

PIC 1: https://tinyurl.com/yywhur3n
PIC 2: https://tinyurl.com/y4mctl76
VIDEO (professional): https://streamable.com/pihpz
VIDEO (iphone): https://streamable.com/uzs81

My personal observation: I cant figure out if this is just a poor real world photo, or if this stone really doesn't have a pink color at all/or any sparkle!

-------------

OPTION 2 - 3.01ct:

IGI: LG10736909
https://igi.org/verify.php?r=LG10736909

VIDEO: https://v360.in/diamondview.aspx?cid=uniq&d=E64-2
VIDEO 2 - This stone in sunlight: https://streamable.com/2o0s7
(I do not have real-world pictures available)
My personal observation: It looks pink in this 10x video, but I've seen a fancy orange-pink (not listed as 'light') in person, and that had a faint pink color. So, I'm worried about this.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - literally! I have no idea which to choose. I want the most eye-pink color with sparkle, and I have very limited time to make a decision! Please help!

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Is the video the same stone as you've identified as Pic #2?

m92371

Rough_Rock
Is the video the same stone as you've identified as Pic #2?

No, sorry. I will edit my original post.

Pics 1 and 2 are apparently the same stone.

I only have a 10x video of stone 2.

EDIT: I have just updated my original post to make it clearer + included a two video links, 1 for each stone

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm even more confused now as to which stone is which. I will just give you my impressions based on what I'm seeing. The photo you have called Pic 1 looks dark and dull to me. The one called Pic 2 appears to me to be a different stone and I like the color and it looks like it has life to it. The video, to me, appeared to be the stone from Pic #2! And I personally thought it was very beautiful... an appealing shade of pink as well as movement/life to the stone. So I don't know what is what because I am confused as to what you are referring to, but at least you have one person's impressions based on seeing the images provided.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm even more confused now as to which stone is which. I will just give you my impressions based on what I'm seeing. The photo you have called Pic 1 looks dark and dull to me. The one called Pic 2 appears to me to be a different stone and I like the color and it looks like it has life to it. The video, to me, appeared to be the stone from Pic #2! And I personally thought it was very beautiful... an appealing shade of pink as well as movement/life to the stone. So I don't know what is what because I am confused as to what you are referring to, but at least you have one person's impressions based on seeing the images provided.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Pics 1 and 2 are the same stone. One photo is taken on an iphone and the other under professional lighting conditions. This is the 2.99ct stone.

The 3.01ct stone has no available pictures. Just a 10x magnification video + a video of it in direct sunlight, held by jewelers tweezers.

:)

Last edited:

m92371

Rough_Rock
I should probably add, I do not have much experience with colored stones and really have no idea how either of these two choices will appear in person.

I'm leaning toward the 2.99ct vivid pink stone, however all the images I have received (uploaded above) seem totally different from the professional studio ones to the real-world ones, where it looks dull/flat.

Having said that, the fancy light orange pink - having seen a fancy orange pink previously in person - I'm worried wont appear pink at all in everyday life! I say this because, the fancy orange pink I once saw, didn't. This is rated as 'light' - which is getting me worried. I hope that makes sense.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your quick reply.

Pics 1 and 2 are the same stone. One photo is taken on an iphone and the other under professional lighting conditions. This is the 2.99ct stone.

The 3.01ct stone has no available pictures. Just a 10x magnification video + a video of it in direct sunlight, held by jewelers tweezers.

:)

Do you have a GIA report for both stones for further evaluation?

m92371

Rough_Rock
Do you have a GIA report for both stones for further evaluation?
I have included IGI reports for both, above in the original post :)

I note that the 2.99ct says fancy vivid pink however in the real world photos, it appears dull. Not sure if this is just poor lighting.

The iphone recorded video of 2.99ct also appears a little dark? Again, unsure if this is really how it will look in real world.

3.01ct as mentioned, I only have two videos - no photos

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock

I note that the 2.99ct says fancy vivid pink however in the real world photos, it appears dull. Not sure if this is just poor lighting.

The iphone recorded video of 2.99ct also appears a little dark? Again, unsure if this is really how it will look in real world.

Personally I wouldn't buy a stone of this size graded by IGI that's just me....

m92371

Rough_Rock
Personally I wouldn't buy a stone of this size graded by IGI that's just me....

Why is that?

Do you think either the 2.99ct or 3.01ct looks better? Or any reasons why one would appear better in person over the other?

I have no more time unfortunately - my partner likes both stones (as they appear in their professional videos).

I need to make a decision asap as we are flying out. Need it delivered.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
They're lab diamonds. Prob needs to move on over to MMD thread.

m92371

Rough_Rock
I am surprised to hear this because FOP is a rather strong color, among diamonds. These two stones are also obviously pink.

Maybe I am just not experienced enough and expected more!?

However, out of these two stones, the vivid pink, I would expect, to be really vivid pink, not dark or dull in iphone photos. The iphone video of it looks like it reflects light ok, but still dark/dull? Or am I missing something?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Why is that?

Because you might be paying more for the stone than what it is actually worth due to the lax grading compared to GIA.

If the diamond speaks to you and you are happy with the price go for it !

m92371

Rough_Rock
Because you might be paying more for the stone than what it is actually worth due to the lax grading compared to GIA.

If the diamond speaks to you and you are happy with the price go for it !

I didnt realize that! Thank you for letting me know.

I like both stones, but I because buying sight-unseen (based on reports and photos) I want to make the best decision. I want the most eye-pink and the one with the most brilliance/sparkle.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
They're lab diamonds. Prob needs to move on over to MMD thread.

Didn't realize they are lab grown diamonds thanks for pointing this out, and yes will get better feedback if it's moved to the proper thread.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
However, out of these two stones, the vivid pink, I would expect, to be really vivid pink, not dark or dull in iphone photos. The iphone video of it looks like it reflects light ok, but still dark/dull? Or am I missing something?

I have not kept up with lab grown diamonds, however, some appear to have some texture, so you might not be seeing things - the FVP could be 'muddy'. I am not at all familiar with IGI grading fancy colours, and the standard for synthetics could be different than for naturals (I do not know!)

The colours appear over the top strong compared to the range of colour I expect from natural pinks.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I didnt realize that! Thank you for letting me know.

I like both stones, but I because buying sight-unseen (based on reports and photos) I want to make the best decision. I want the most eye-pink and the one with the most brilliance/sparkle.

GIA only grades natural diamonds sorry for the incorrect info...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Also, both diamonds have medium and strong fluorescence (pink and orange). This may also play into different appearances (?)

m92371

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.

I'm still leaning toward the 2.99ct - I did receive this new picture of it just now, however.

It is making me even more confused! Is it just me, or does this not really look 'vivid pink' or bright?

https://tinyurl.com/y5p737h5

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Will fluorescence affect brilliance and sparkle?

I received this just now of the 2.99ct 'fancy vivid pink' stone https://tinyurl.com/y5p737h5

Possibly, or possibly make the diamond look different outside vs inside. The pictures are sent from outside. That may affect color. I know you want to get this done now, but I would want to do a little more homework.

m92371

Rough_Rock
Possibly, or possibly make the diamond look different outside vs inside. The pictures are sent from outside. That may affect color. I know you want to get this done now, but I would want to do a little more homework.

Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately, we have booked our trip and arranged a proposal - all paid already. Can't back out now, wish I found this forum sooner

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
eeek :)
well, I am running the diamonds through an analysis tool...
Diamond 1 came out a 1b

diamond 1.png

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately, we have booked our trip and arranged a proposal - all paid already. Can't back out now, wish I found this forum sooner

When is it? I would do whatever you can to have that ring made prior to departure, even if you have it delivered on your trip. Many horror stories out there of rings being delayed in production and I wouldn’t want to risk not having a ring.

m92371

Rough_Rock
When is it? I would do whatever you can to have that ring made prior to departure, even if you have it delivered on your trip. Many horror stories out there of rings being delayed in production and I wouldn’t want to risk not having a ring.

The stone will be delivered within 7 days from the date of purchase. Trip is 20th Sept. My Jeweler will put it in a ring and meet my deadline as long as I order the stone within 24 hours :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Diamond 2, a step down in cut to a 2A, according to the AGA Cut Class tool.
diamond 2.png

m92371

Rough_Rock
eeek :)
well, I am running the diamonds through an analysis tool...
Diamond 1 came out a 1b

diamond 1.png

I'm not sure I know what that means!

Is 1b good? Is stone one (2.99ct) better than stone two (3.01ct)?

The report shows clarity is better at VVS2 and color is seemingly better (vivid fancy pink).

The only thing I cant get my head around are the real world photos which look a bit dark and not as brilliant/sparkling as I imagined

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure I know what that means!

Is 1b good? Is stone one (2.99ct) better than stone two (3.01ct)?

The report shows clarity is better at VVS2 and color is seemingly better (vivid fancy pink).

The only thing I cant get my head around are the real world photos which look a bit dark and not as brilliant/sparkling as I imagined

The tool does the "math" and helps screen for the diamond that will have the best performance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results