shape
carat
color
clarity

New foster kittens!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
We usually start a run of foster kittens by taking in a pregnant mother cat and midwifing her through labor. This time we got the kittens on their own, born and in not-so-great shape. :nono: The mother had been hanging around a printing press in an industrial area for some time, one of the workers there was kind enough to feed her. He discovered she had kittens a few weeks ago, but it took a while for him to be able to get close enough to scoop them up.

They were obviously petrified and most unhappy when I got them two nights ago. They had been picked up by a stranger, taken away from their mother (who will be trapped, sterilized, and returned as she has become somewhat of a company cat to the printing press, and is too feral to be adopted), put in a box, driven to a house, left in the box for 4 hours, picked up by us, driven home, and deposited in a strange room with funny smells and dogs just outside of the door. :errrr:

Thankfully they are not biting/scratching/spitting sort of kitties. They're scared, but they just back away and run. Now that it's been two days, and I've been hand feeding them, three of the seven are happy to get on my lap and have a crawl around. The runt sleeps on my lap and will cry for me when I put him down. Another one I managed to solicit a purr from. :appl: The rest are still a bit skittish, the black one the most - he will not stay still for pats or touching or rubs or scratches at all. He just backs away and runs as fast as he can. If he's not at least tolerating contact in the next 2-3 days, I may have to separate him from the others for a few hours every day, so I can spend some one-on-one time with him.

These kittens were in pretty bad shape. They have slight eye infections, some worse than others. Their coats feel like straw. The runt was exhausted, weak, and skin and bones - I could feel every rib and vertebrae, and his hip bones were jutting out. I don't think he would have survived more than another day or two on the streets. ;(

But thankfully that is not to be thought of now...he's safe and very well fed in my laundry, and already shows his appreciation so very clearly. When he's curled up on my lap (he's only the size of the palm of my hand, and is perhaps 4 weeks old), he just looks up at me with those crusty, scabby eyes and radiates pure love. It makes my heart swell. :love:

Here they are, 7 little monsters.

kittens.jpg

I'd love to hear ideas for names. They must be somewhat unique, as our rescue database fills up very quickly with Shadows and Tigers and the like - it's impossible to keep them straight after they've been adopted. I also like to keep them linked in some way - either they all start with the same letter, or they follow a theme. We've had desserts (Pavlova, Trifle, Brulee, etc), Y babies (Yeti, Yoda, etc), Australian mines (Argyle, Telfer, etc), and a few other common beginning letters. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginger, you are so wonderful to do all you do for the precious animals!! They are so beautiful! :love: :love: :love:
As for names how about reindeer names-tis the season after all. :))
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder (or Donner), and Blitzen...to name a few.

Good luck with them!!! So happy they have you!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gawd--they are ADORABLE!!!

I will have a think on some names...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh baby kittahs! They're so sweet-I'm glad you've taken them in to get a better start on life. When I lived at home, on our "cat farm" we did much the same thing..only the kitties never left, they all stayed outside in shelters we made. It started when my brother and I were about 8 and we got my grandparents cats when they moved from the farm to town. Tiger, and her kittens, Booties and Socks. The quality of our names increased as we got older and realized we were all crazy cat people. (I kid you not, I bet over the years we had 300 cats)

Spices? Clove, Cinnamon, Paprika etc?

Or..since they were born by a printing press, something to do with that? I'm not sure what..Ink(y)..Smudge, since ink smudges? Is it a printing press for books? Bib, Lio, Phile? Brittanica and Webster? Papyrus?

There is a science and deep thought that goes into naming, you know..My mom and I were talking about all the cats thru the years the other day on the way back from getting Clementine. My dad always hated the names we came up with--he is more like my Gramma, naming black cats Blackie and grey cats Grey. I had a cat named Bejing (she was beige) that had kittens I named Nefertiti and Archemedes-dad about had a stroke. Mom said "There is a *process* and your dad just never got that" hahahaha we're weird.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginger - Cheers to you! You're such a sweetie! They are sooooooooooo cute! I love the seasonal names suggested by Missy. Another idea, for this, or a future batch are spices! Ginger (how appropriate!), Cinnamon, Clover (ok, not a spice, but close), Nutmeg, Sugar (err, ok, maybe baking terms, not just spices) and uhh, Spice!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat - HOW FUNNY! Posted at exactly the same time. Great minds and all!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bwahahahahaha LV we are awesome!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginger:

I love how the black one is sitting as guard for the rest of them - it sure looks like he's in charge in that photo.

I was going for stone names like onyx, agate, granite, but couldn't think of a white stone in my in-the-morning-without-coffee-state. :oops:

You are such a dear for what you do and I love you descriptions of crusty-eyed unconditional love :love: Good on you!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1353682012|3313302 said:
Ginger:

I love how the black one is sitting as guard for the rest of them - it sure looks like he's in charge in that photo.

I was going for stone names like onyx, agate, granite, but couldn't think of a white stone in my in-the-morning-without-coffee-state. :oops:

You are such a dear for what you do and I love you descriptions of crusty-eyed unconditional love :love: Good on you!

Minou - the little black one always has that stink-eye look on his face, lol. He's gonna be a tough nut to crack, methinks.

Good work on the stone names - maybe we can broaden the scope to have an Opal or a Pearl. I'm fairly certain two of the white kittens are male, only one is female. One tabby is female (they're hard to tell apart at this point), and I have no idea what the black one is. I think she's probably a girl, actually. Male kittens are generally much sweeter than that one. :sick:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for fostering these babies!!!! They are adorable!

I've always wanted to name a gaggle of animals after cheeses, but I have a bit of a cheese obsession, so . . . :cheeky:
Brie, Havarti (nn Tita), Gouda, Pecorino (nn Rino), Camembert (nn Cam), Feta, Stilton, Munster :), Gorgonzola (nn Gorgie), Roquefort . . .

justginger

Ideal_Rock
And as for the white ones - I can't quite tell if they're actually white, and will always be white, or if they're actually going to change into a lilac point type of color. Either their faces are stained with filth, or at least two of them have points on their faces developing already.

Our very first litter ever had a pure white miniature polar bear born (the mother was calico). As he grew up he got darker bits and ended up looking like a purebred Birman. I listed him for adoption and received over 40 calls about him in the first 4 hours, such a gorgeous kitty.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes! I vote for stinky cheese names - that would be awesome!

And yes, if that photo is any indication, it does look like you'll maybe have to get him away from the others and have it be just him and you (or other people) for him to accept humans into his life in a friendly way. Little tough guy. Those are the ones I admire the most; the ones who think they're so darned tough even though they're just little fuzzballs and all of 3 lbs. :))

lulu

Ideal_Rock
They're all beautiful, but the black boy is gorgeous. On behalf of animal lovers everywhere,thanks for taking care of them.

D

Deactivated member 42515

You are so sweet taking in those kittens! We need more people like you in this world!

The black one is adorable! I love the stink eye he has going on all the time! And the runt sounds like has stolen your heart!

Now for names.... Hmmm I've always thought it was cute when dogs and cats had serious names. How about names from British royalty? Like William and Edward, Henry, Charles, Elizabeth, Mary, Victoria...

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am no good with names, but gosh they are ADORABLE! :love: :love: It's such a lovely thing that you are doing for the kitties 8) We fostered a bunch of kittens a few years ago, and watching them grow up, their antics and their growing affection and trust for humans is a lovely thing to behold.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
You could do types of font-- there are tons listed under styles in MS word for example. Arial, Calisto, Centaur, Lucida, Meriam, Tahoma, etc etc......

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamond cuts:
radiant
marquise
cushion
princess
Oval
Asscher
trillion

Hey - its PS - what the heck! :lol:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
They are so cute!!!

You could name them for your favorite authors or travel destinations or restaurants.

Our dog is named Atticus from "To Kill A Mockingbird". Would love a little Scout or Boo Radley someday!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thank you so very much for fostering kittens!
:appl: these are adorable.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh they are just too stinkin cute! I love the idea of naming them after authors or even famous publishing houses (Simon, Schuster, Penguin, etc???)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, they are precious, and so lucky to be with you.

Working off Enerchi's idea, how about gemstone names:
Onyx
Citrine
Topaz
Diamond
Spinel
Opal
Ruby
Pearl

I tried to stick with stones that come in the color of cat :wink2: But, sapphire, emerald and amethyst would work, too.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all so adorable!!! :love: It is so great of you to do this justginger, I'm sure it's not easy and requires a lot of time and energy. Such an admirable thing to do.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The babies are getting a bit better every day. They still run from me when I'm standing (except for the runt, who crawls up on my foot! :love: ), but when I sit on the floor most of them will come play on me like a jungle gym. I've got criss-crosses of kitten claw marks all over my legs already. :lol:

The black one remains as stink-eyed as ever. :angryfire: <----- That's him. :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"That's him" + angry fire, very funny! You seem to be enjoying it all. I'm totally loving it, but can't we get a kitten cam? Then we can watch the boss's stink eyed look, the other fuzz buckets and the little guy, who's probably trying to nurse your foot :lol:

At least post more pics and stories. I know there will be a break through soon and Mr. Stink Eye will curl up and fall asleep on you, and then wake up and pretend he never did it, rinse and repeat. I have no doubt you'll win him over.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
They're adorable! So kind of you to foster them :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Minou - you're psychic. We have a big storm on here and I got home from work, and popped straight in the laundry to check on the little guys. Mr. Attitude was on the cat tree perch by himself and I moved in to butter him up. I tried a new trick (I have a few) - I folded his ear in on itself and massaged. Magic. He was pushing back into it, and when I patted the rest of him he was pushing his butt up against my hand. And...he started purring. :appl: I am obviously overtired and emotional (I was honestly getting a bit worried about him, it's difficult to rehome 'special' (read: flighty) cats) because I promptly burst into tears. :oops: Such a relief. And of course after I left and came back in, he was unhappy with me all over again. That doesn't matter though, the breakthrough has happened and it's only a matter of time before he lets his guard down all the time. :bigsmile:

I took some photos so you can see them a bit more. The single white kitty on my lap is the runt (they look similar, but the one pictured with the black kitten is different, much bigger). This is how he looks at me all the time, he's already my little shadow. DH keeps giving me looks. He knows me - already thinking, "Really...what's ONE MORE resident cat in this nuthouse?" :devil:

p1010926.jpg

p1010936.jpg

Photographic evidence of the black kitty making progress - he jumped in my lap with the others to play on the human jungle gym!

p1010931.jpg

p1010937.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
It is very nice of you to be a foster Mom to these kittens, man are they adorable.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
justginger-I'm melting reading this thread! I love kitties soooo much but haven't had one for years due to DS's asthma. DS & my mom have 4 cats between them, all rescues, so love visiting them. Happy to see black kitty coming around! Have you decided on the name theme yet? I love the reindeer idea, I wanted to use that theme to name my dogs over the years and one of my girls was Vixen.
Also think the font idea is very cool since it speaks to their roots. Best of luck finding them all great homes! You are giving them a wonderful start in life :D

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I haven't decided on the name theme quite yet, but one I'm kicking around is horse-racing-related. The runt has three colored blobs on his head, and I am thinking of calling him Trifecta. :)) The others would have to follow - Derby, Crown, etc.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Those pictures are so precious!

You make me want to move to Australia, foster kitties, wear a massive rock and travel the world! You're doing things right!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results