shape
carat
color
clarity

New England Summer Lake Vacation Ideas

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're planning our first family summer vacation. We're thinking of staying at a lake, maybe renting a house, for a week in August, in New England or NY. Lower New England would be great as we aren't keen on driving too far with a baby and maybe our dogs too!

Any PS-ers have a favorite lake where they've vacationed in the past? Bonus points for super-veggie friendly, slightly hippie-ish locations. I think there's a town in northern New Hampshire that fits the bill, but I forget at the moment.

Thanks!!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd check here
http://www.vrbo.com/

Each listing should have reviews from people in the past. Some renters even have "pins" on the map for food/entertainment/etc and all of them should be able to answer your questions. There was bad weather around that area a bit ago so you may need to take that into consideration while looking. I'm going to be using this site for a vacation rental this winter and the reviews and pictures/listings are really easy to use and navigate. Have fun!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
We rent a house on Lake Champlain in Vermont every year. We love it! We literally RELAX while we're there but there are things to do! Lots of maple sugar places, breweries, Cabot cheese factory, Ben and Jerry's factory and tour, and restaurants. We use this website to book homes that we rent... http://www.homeaway.com/

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up on the VT/NH border. There are TONS of lakes to visit. Most of the ones I'm familiar with are in central VT/NH. Check out Lake Sunapee (and Little Sunapee), Lake Fairlee, Lake Morey, and Lake Winnepasaukee.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We usually go up to Lake Memphremagog in northern VT in the summer, but it sounds like that's a bit too north for you. We're actually looking for alternative (closer) lakes for this summer as well.

The Lakes Region in NH is good in terms of things to do in the area--we have a friend in the area who has a place on Lake Squam and I love that lake. The problem is that renting a place for a week in the Lakes Region is expensive! I feel like I may as well rent a place on the Cape. In any case, the main lakes in the Lakes Region of NH are Lake Winnipesaukee, Squam Lake, Lake Winnisquam, Lake Wentworth and I think Lake Ossippee. There is a small lake in the area that I found called Lake Webster, too.

I've also heard good things about Sebago Lake in Maine. I was just looking up some places there yesterday and it's also expensive. I started looking for lakes in upstate NY (in the Adirondack region), but for us--coming from Boston--it makes more sense to just stick with Lake Champlain or Lake Memphremagog, so I haven't done much hunting there.

I'm going to check out some of the lakes HH suggested. Good luck, fellow New England lakehouse hunter!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Vintagelover. I wasn't aware of the weather issues last year. I've been looking around on VRBO and the site Lizzyann mentioned.

Hi Lizzyann - Looks like we're on the same wavelength lately. :wavey: A Ben and Jerry's tour sounds very good right now! Lake Champlain looks awesome. It seems lots of places are booked up already. I might try to book a place for next year. Might be easier to drive with a 1.5 year old? I think Burlington was the town I was thinking of (in terms of veggie/hippie vibe.) Thanks for the homeaway link. I haven't used that site before. Enjoy your vacation!

HH - What a beautiful place to grow up! Sunapee looks promising. Thanks.

NEL - Yes, the houses are surprisingly expensive! Even some of the little "cottages" are pricey. I haven't looked up "your" lakes yet, but will check them out. Thanks for your response, and good luck with your search too!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like some great suggestions - I love New England!

On a sidenote, we are going to MV for a few days (not as tranquil) - any suggestions on stops between NYC and MV...for a rest and a meal maybe?

Let us know what you decide LV!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Janinegirly, You must be driving through CT on 95 then? Mystic might be a good stopping point: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g33845-Mystic_Connecticut.html There's a historic seaport and wonderful aquarium in Mystic, but it doesn't sound like you'll have time to hang around.

I'd avoid any restaurants in the downtown area, as you have to park, then walk, and there can be a lot of traffic in the summer, so that might be a little frustrating if you're wanting to hop off and on the highway.

There's also a somewhat must see lobster place (i think) in the area, where you sit outside and have freshly caught lobster. I'm not a fish eater though, so I have no idea how appealing that may or may not be on a roadtrip! Haha.

ETA: Here's the lobster place: http://www.abbotts-lobster.com/

There's also a GREAT (imo) diner in Madison, which is probably a good 30-40 mins prior to Mystic. They have a lot of vegetarian food (tempeh reuben is yum), which is why it's one of my favorite places in that area, but also greek food and typical diner fare. http://www.shorelinediner.com/ Easy on/off 95, which is why I mention it.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1307641526|2941773 said:
Janinegirly, You must be driving through CT on 95 then? Mystic might be a good stopping point: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g33845-Mystic_Connecticut.html There's a historic seaport and wonderful aquarium in Mystic, but it doesn't sound like you'll have time to hang around.

I'd avoid any restaurants in the downtown area, as you have to park, then walk, and there can be a lot of traffic in the summer, so that might be a little frustrating if you're wanting to hop off and on the highway.

There's also a somewhat must see lobster place (i think) in the area, where you sit outside and have freshly caught lobster. I'm not a fish eater though, so I have no idea how appealing that may or may not be on a roadtrip! Haha.

ETA: Here's the lobster place: http://www.abbotts-lobster.com/

There's also a GREAT (imo) diner in Madison, which is probably a good 30-40 mins prior to Mystic. They have a lot of vegetarian food (tempeh reuben is yum), which is why it's one of my favorite places in that area, but also greek food and typical diner fare. http://www.shorelinediner.com/ Easy on/off 95, which is why I mention it.

Ditto, for Abbott's. Sit outside and enjoy your food. It is tricky to get there but so worth it. I love Mystic, both the aquarium and seaport. There is also a place (always busy) outside seating only if you want to get something quick to eat called Sea Swirl http://www.seaswirlofmystic.com/menu.html

soocool

Ideal_Rock
LV, have you considered the Finger Lakes in NY (near Elmira and Corning)? There are lots of hotels and bed and breakfast inns around the 3 lakes (Seneca, Cayuga, and Keuka). Also, many quaint little towns around the lake and spectacular views.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an excellent idea, soocool. Not sure why that hadn't occured to me! I have a friend in Ithaca who would want to see the baby, I'm sure. I have to admit though, going away for a week is starting to worry me. We barely have a routine now, I don't know how we'd do on vacation. And, where to wash the cloth diapers? :confused: That'd be another reason for a house. Eeesh. Maybe we should just spend a few days in Mystic, then we can go to that Sea Swirl you linked (veggie burgers, real onion rings and real milk shakes, mmmm!) Can you tell I'm very motivated by food? Haha. We actually haven't been to a restaurant with baby yet! That makes me nervous too!!!!!!! I'm sure we could handle an outdoor restaurant for lunch, though.

Oh, and, when I first saw your post, I thought I'd check out lake vacations in PA (does everyone else associate PS-ers with their states?), and found a place near Susquehanna that doesn't look too far of a drive. I may have to save it for another year though because my anxiety level is rising just thinking about vacation. :twirl:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1307647751|2941866 said:
That's an excellent idea, soocool. Not sure why that hadn't occured to me! I have a friend in Ithaca who would want to see the baby, I'm sure. I have to admit though, going away for a week is starting to worry me. We barely have a routine now, I don't know how we'd do on vacation. And, where to wash the cloth diapers? :confused: That'd be another reason for a house. Eeesh. Maybe we should just spend a few days in Mystic, then we can go to that Sea Swirl you linked (veggie burgers, real onion rings and real milk shakes, mmmm!) Can you tell I'm very motivated by food? Haha. We actually haven't been to a restaurant with baby yet! That makes me nervous too!!!!!!! I'm sure we could handle an outdoor restaurant for lunch, though.

Oh, and, when I first saw your post, I thought I'd check out lake vacations in PA (does everyone else associate PS-ers with their states?), and found a place near Susquehanna that doesn't look too far of a drive. I may have to save it for another year though because my anxiety level is rising just thinking about vacation. :twirl:

Believe it or not, I know there is a laundromat in Mystic, not far from the aquarium on Coogan Blvd. and I know there are a ton of them in Elmira. Also, bed and breakfast suites many time have washer, dryer, microwave, refrigerator.We took DD everywhere with us as soon as she was 6 mos old and she even had her own suitcase at age 3 that she would pack and pull along. If you start them early they are easy to travel with later on.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LV and Socool!! We love lobster so this sounds great!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi LV! :wavey: Yes, we are on the same wavelength again sister! The finger lakes are a great idea too. I've only been there for wine tasting so I can't speak to whether or not it is as family friendly as some other options. Burlington, VT is a short drive from where I usually stay on Lake Champlain (North Hero area). Burlington kind of reminds me of Northampton, MA. I live very close to Northampton so I go there often. It is more earthy crunchy with small shops and restaurants. Burlington is a college town so it has that feel to it as well. Hope that helps! And don't be too afraid to travel with a little one. It is always going to be an adjustment to travel with kids. My son is two now and we started with a weekend trip to Cape Cod when he was about 6 months old. It is nice to have a change of location and I highly recommend renting a house versus a hotel room. I just like having access to a stove, refrigerator, and a private backyard. I also like that he can go down for a nap while we watch a movie. That is hard to do in a hotel room and he is napping in his play pen in the same room! Good Luck and keep us posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results