shape
carat
color
clarity

New Engagement Ring

Woman582

Rough_Rock
My husband and I have been together since 2007 and have recently been married.

When I chose my engagement ring we weren't really looking and I was just getting an idea of what I liked without being too pushy on the subject. At this stage we had been together for 5 years and were just ‘talking’ about getting engaged.

When we were looking at rings on this particular day I tried on a half carat diamond engagement ring and instantly fell in love. In price was a little over $2,000.

We holidayed later that year and he proposed with that same ring I had my eye on.

This year I went into the same store and was buying a pair of earrings and the lady mentioned to me that I could ‘upgrade’ my engagement ring by trading in my current one and then I could pay the extra. I entertained the idea and tried on a 1 carat ring and fell in love even more.

Don’t get me wrong…I love my engagement ring I have now however seeing this ring with a stone that is double the size has me thinking would it be ok if I did trade it in for this new ring.

How do I go about asking him for a new ring without hurting his feelings?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Touchy subject!

Some men aren't too sentimental about the ring and it isn't a problem. Others feel very strongly about the engagement ring. If you look over in the Hangout section, you'll find many discussions over just this issue! (ranging from frustration to hurt feelings to severe resentment)

Get a feel for his ideas on the subject before you bring it up. If he feels strongly, you need to decide how much an upgraded ring matters to you. You may find that he wants you to keep the original but is all in favor of getting you an anniversary band or a stacker or something like that. Take a look around (Show Me the Bling! is a good place to start here on PS) and see what you are really interested in. Is it a bigger engagement ring? Maybe a five stone anniversary ring? Eternity band? Colored stone stackers (look in the Colored Stones section here on PS for great inspirations)? Diamond stackers?

Then go from there!

Oh -- And go try on different RHR (right hand rings), stackers with your current e-ring, eternity bands, etc so you can get a good idea of what you like on your own hand.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Good advice, TP!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results