shape
carat
color
clarity

New earrings....new project.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Hi Psers,

It was only a matter of time before the wheels started turning again. I am working on a new project and would love your input and advice.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a pair of diamond flower/cluster earrings, which are incredibly sparkly and gorgeous. The center stones are about .30 each and I haven''t a clue on the size of the "petals", but they are great cuts and very clean. I have since stopped wearing my 3 ctw rbc studs and am thinking about turning them into side stones for a new 3 stone ring.

My DH is trying to talk me out of another 3 stone, but I think I would get the most enjoyment out of a ring versus another piece of jewelry.

My initial thought was bigger side stones for my 3 carat center. Crazy idea since I have a size 4 ring finger.
I fired off an email to BB at ACS gems to get a price quote on a 2 to 3 ct. light pink tourmaline. Which I think would be very pretty.
I have also thought about purchasing another 1.5 carat rbc and bezeling them into a true 3 stone ring. Very modern and clean.

I guess I am quite undecided.

I would love to hear your opinions...I''m excited to start working on this project.

Roppongi

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I think all your ideas sound great, but are you sure you won''t wear your studs ever again? Your new earrings sound beautiful, but I think studs are always good to have.
I don''t know what you have in your jewelry collection, so if you have other studs, I would go for the 3 stone ring. But your post says "another 3-stone" so I''m not sure if you already have one.
9.gif

I say go with something you don''t have already. Do you have pics of your new earrings? I''d love to see them.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d keep the studs. Have a feeling you''ll put them back in rotation soon enough ... or be searching for a new (bigger?) pair before long. If you''re dying to change up ... you make them into dangles to hang below the flower cluster earrings - that would certainly be unique.

Seems weird to me to have 1.5 ct DIAMOND sidestones to a pink TOURMALINE. .... Sapphire? Maybe? Not a colored gem lover so maybe I''m mistaken. **shrug**

Lauren Q

Rough_Rock
Pink Tourmaline sounds pretty since you mentioned you already had a 3 stone. Keeping with pink, another option is a pink sapphire...higher on the Mohs scale in terms of hardness/toughness.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I understand how you feel. I am a jewellery recycler from long ago! If you have a good bench, the earrings can be changed into a ring and back again into earrings should you change your mind.

I love the idea of a three stone ring with a colored gemstone. A really fine ruby would be my choice--or a lovely hot pink sapphire!

cheers--Sharon

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're anything like me, ie. constantly setting and resetting your diamonds, he he!!
1.gif
, I'd only reset the studs into a three-stone ring if:

1) your jewellery can do a good job without scratching or damaging your diamonds (I *think* there's a risk of that everytime your stones are reset);

2) the resetting wouldn't cost you too much; and

3) your new centre stone would not a) cost a great deal and b) could be reset into either a solitaire/pendant/not used at all again later.

I'm saying all this because you may very well want to wear the studs again, as an alternative to your new clustered flower earrings (we're waiting for pics of these by the way!!
2.gif
1.gif
). I like Deco's suggestion of having them reset into dangles. I too suspect that you might at one point, upgrade those studs into bigger ones. I have clustered flower earrings too and altho' I loved them initially (they're Lazare and super-blingy), I no longer wear them, only the BGD studs.

Btw, as an alternative to pink tourmaline, would you consider rubilite (sp?). I think it's sooooo pretty and would look amazing with diamond side stones.

I would not buy another 1.5ct stone and have that reset into another 3-stone diamond ring with your existing studs. Your current 3-stone ring is absolutely BREATHTAKING. Another diamond 3-stone would just be completely dwarfed by your existing ring.

Just my 0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results