shape
carat
color
clarity

new credit card scam!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is pretty slick. I copied and pasted it because it can happen to all of us.

Visa / MasterCard FRAUD Here is the SNOPES article: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

Just a heads up for everyone regarding the latest in Visa fraud. Royal Bank received this communication about the newest scam. This is happening in southern Alberta right now and moving.

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want..

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

This information is worth reading By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

The scam works like this:

Person calling says - 'This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460, Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona ?' When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?' You say 'yes'.

The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works - The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last 3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card Do you have any other questions?'

After you say no, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do', and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back. Within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we were glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card. We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number.. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation..

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit; however, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening. I dealt with a similar situation this morning, with the caller telling me that $3,097 had been charged to my account for plane tickets to Spain , and so on through the above routine..

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another good reason to have caller ID and only answer the phone when you recognize the number and name that comes up.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the alert, Crasru! I would've fallen for it. I'm going to send this to my buddies.

--- Laurie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads-up

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with the Royal and I live in Southern Alberta. I haven't had a call yet, but any time I get a call from any institution I'm a customer of I always tell them I'm busy and I'll call back, then I call my main office or branch. This goes for my bank, my phone company, anyone I have business accounts with. It's the easiest way to prevent any such fraud.
A good friend is a corporate and consumer fraud investigator and he says that phone call fraud is the most prolific yet easiest fraud to protect yourself against - just hang up.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the alert. Sent it to DH.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for passing this on! Yet another thing to watch out for.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the information!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
thank you for sharing~

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
That is pretty slick! How do they have your name, address, telephone number, credit card number and issuing bank information though?!?! Scary.

Thanks for the heads up!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! They can't scam me because I don't answer any phones, but I passed this on to the rest of my family. They actually do answer phones, the sillies. ;))

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for posting this!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It's scary the extremes and creativity these people have!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You know, I'll never understand how people can be so good at being bad.

:nono:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny|1314284576|2999201 said:
You know, I'll never understand how people can be so good at being bad.

:nono:

Yeah, these people need to spend more time making a buck the honest way instead of doing this garbage.

Thanks for the heads up, crasru!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
great post crasru, thanks for the heads up! i passed it along to friends and family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results