shape
carat
color
clarity

New car

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
So I'm buying a new car this week. I'm pretty happy with it overall. It's a 05 Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan. Fully loaded (Leather, heated seats, chrome accents, XM ready, CD, power everything, spoiler, BRAND new tires, in wheel stereo controls) 47K. It gets almost 30 MPG too. It's a lovely little car, perfect for me (has more than I originally thought I could get for the $) but...

...it doesn't give me those warm, fuzzy feelings. I'm not overly excited or happy about it. Is that normal? I was SO excited about my Bug I thought I might have a heartattack. This one... not so much. It's highly practical, but not very exciting.
20.gif

Do you guys think I should still buy it? I drove a Rav 4 today and was giggling because I liked it so much, but the breaks were bad so it was immediately ruled out. I'm worried I'm making the wrong decision by buying a car I'm not obsessed with.

What would you do?
33.gif

ETA: Sorry! I posted this in the wrong forum, I e-mailed to have it moved.
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I can relate only too well to that feeling! Why couldn''t the brakes on the Rav be repaired or replaced? Is there a huge difference in price between the two?

I once read in a financial planning book that when you turn 65, you should buy your last new car and be prepared to drive it until you don''t drive anymore
20.gif
. Several makes were suggested: all sedans and all boring.
7.gif
So hubby turned 65 and we considered our options........and ended up buying a new Chrysler Sebring convertible.
36.gif
I doubt that this will be our last car, but neither of us could persuade ourselves that we were ready for one of those dull sedans.
38.gif

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
nebe,

I''d keep looking. A car is a big purchase and I think it should give you a thrill. I have never gotten a new car and not been thrilled. I even remember what song was playing when I pulled out of the lot on each one. Donlt pull the trigger yet. The right one is out there waiting for you!

Nancy

dolphingirl22

Shiny_Rock
did i read this right? An 05 chevy cobalt for 47K?????? or does it have 47K miles?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 10:13:22 PM
Author: dolphingirl22
did i read this right? An 05 chevy cobalt for 47K?????? or does it have 47K miles?

47 k miles, I suspect.

dolphingirl22

Shiny_Rock
ok...i got it...almost had a heart attack...I was screaming for this poor girl not to buy it....hehe

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
47,000 MILES. It's a little over $10,000. I'm really stressing about it. I'm thinking I shouldn't buy it. My dad really likes it but I'm really, really uncomfortable with it. It doesn't thrill me AT ALL. I'm so unsure. The woman I've been working with has picked me up on two different days, driven me to five different dealers; she's been so nice and helpful (she's a new car dealer...) I'm going to be heartbroken for her if I don't find anything with her.

I really don't know what to do.
40.gif

The Rav 4 also had some bad engine noises going on too, that's why I didn't bother.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
nebe,

I know you will feel bad to not buy from this woman, but you are the one that has to drive the car. Buy something else and send the woman some flowers and a note. You can always refer another buyer to her. Listen to your inner voice. It''s telling you no.

N.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 10:48:56 PM
Author: nebe
47,000 MILES. It''s a little over $10,000. I''m really stressing about it. I''m thinking I shouldn''t buy it. My dad really likes it but I''m really, really uncomfortable with it. It doesn''t thrill me AT ALL. I''m so unsure. The woman I''ve been working with has picked me up on two different days, driven me to five different dealers; she''s been so nice and helpful (she''s a new car dealer...) I''m going to be heartbroken for her if I don''t find anything with her.

I really don''t know what to do.
40.gif

The Rav 4 also had some bad engine noises going on too, that''s why I didn''t bother.
Nebe, I''d wait to find the car that''s right for you. It''s not fun to own a car that you''re not really into (at least, that''s how it is for me). I''m sure you feel torn cause you''ve got your dad''s approval and this women''s been so kind, but hold out. Like fansynancy said, definately let her know how much you appreciate how helpful she''s been (she must be a great sales person).

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should get the car that gives you the smiles. There''s nothing worse than buyers remorse especially on a big purchase such as this. How about test driving a Honda Civic? I got an 2004 with 30K miles for a little over 12,000 after my car accident and I love it to death. It''s also good in the snow (now I sound like a commercial).

Good luck with looking keep us updated!

sera

Ideal_Rock
If you're in the position to wait and get something you really like, wait.

For a time my car was getting restored and had to borrow my grandma's Buick... SOOOOO not me! I was grateful to have something to drive and it was reliable. At the time, I didn't have a choice, so I had to drive what I had to drive. So, I totally understand being not the least thrilled with a car. Driving it I was just thinking, "UGH! This car is so not me! I hate these seats. It's too wide. It doesn't have the turning radius mine does...." On the positive, it got me to where I needed to go safely, got good gas mileage, was reliable, I didn't have to rent a car... so I did appreciate having what I needed, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted. If you can wait for what you want, wait... if not, then find the best you can for what you need and keep in mind it's not forever.
1.gif

ETA: I just looked at my Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2008.... Chevy Cobalt '05 is a "Vehicle to Avoid" based on their 2006 survey... these vehicles earned "below-average Used Car Verdicts, meaning they proved worse or much worse than average for the model years listed."

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I second the suggestion to look at the civic - that''s a great looking car in the same price range and hondas are so reliable!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2007 10:48:56 PM
47,000 MILES. It''s a little over $10,000. I''m really stressing about it. I''m thinking I shouldn''t buy it. My dad really likes it but I''m really, really uncomfortable with it. It doesn''t thrill me AT ALL. I''m so unsure. The woman I''ve been working with has picked me up on two different days, driven me to five different dealers; she''s been so nice and helpful (she''s a new car dealer...) I''m going to be heartbroken for her if I don''t find anything with her.

I really don''t know what to do.
40.gif

The Rav 4 also had some bad engine noises going on too, that''s why I didn''t bother.
It sounds to me like you answered your own question here...

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2007 10:05:09 PM
Author: isaku5
I once read in a financial planning book that when you turn 65, you should buy your last new car and be prepared to drive it until you don't drive anymore
20.gif
. Several makes were suggested: all sedans and all boring.
7.gif
So hubby turned 65 and we considered our options........and ended up buying a new Chrysler Sebring convertible.
36.gif
I doubt that this will be our last car, but neither of us could persuade ourselves that we were ready for one of those dull sedans.
38.gif

LOL! Last summer my parents [both age 81] bought a Mercedes SL500 with 7000 miles on it and proceeded to drive up to Canada to visit friends and then down to their place in Florida. They also have an antique SL that they got in Europe and have had for years, a big Audi sedan and a little red VW Bug.

Financial planners can be such imbecilles.

And, Nebe, I would suggest that you wait and get a car that excites you. Just my $.02.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Do what your gut says, but I'll tell you the thing that I figured out the day I had to give up on the Mini Cooper I wanted forever and bought another Civic instead (2007 fully loaded, naturally, but still much more economical):

At the end of the day, it's just a car. Gets you to and from work and grocery shopping. The novelty of even your ultimate dream car will eventually wear off and it will become an expensive, gas-dependent tin can on tires - just like all the others. I say if it works well, has a lot of life left in it, isn't ugly to your eye and you can drive it comfortably, go for it.

Save the butterfly feelings for things like diamond rings and new homes.

Good luck! I look forward to meeting you at the PS GTG tomorrow!
9.gif

ETA: and if your gut says no to the Cobalt, go for a Civic. I swear by them.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t jump into anything just yet. If you are second guessing before you purchase, don''t purchase! I have had some buyer''s remorse over vehicles in the past, and it doesn''t make your driving experience enjoyable at all! I finally got the van of my dreams, after buying a pimped out van, with all the bells and whistles, heated leather seats and what not. I discovered that far too many things can go wrong when you have all these little buttons and do-dads. I now own a 2002 Toyota Sienna Le and my favorite feature, by far, is the power seat, as I am such a short a$$. If I feel the need, I can always take my beloved''s Toyota Yaris RS and burn some rubber. My whole long winded point is that, I love to drive my van. It is comfortable, yet funky in a van driving Mom kind of way. I think it should always make you smile before you even get into it. Do you have children? easy accessiblity is something to consider as well. We owned a Corolla before the baby came along, and with the now 8 year old back there, and an infant, it was super crammed and uncomfortable for everyone.

Test drive as many different vehicles as you can, and try not to rush into anything.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Well I had tried to post but got an error message and lost everything so I''ll try again in "long story short mode"....

I personally wouldn''t buy a car that I wasn''t thrilled about unless I absolutely had to.

I bought a 2003 Honda Accord on May 31st and still get all giddy when I see it in the driveway or walk out to drive it. I can''t believe it''s MINE!

Also if you really like the RAV4 are there any others around that you could look at? And have you tried other smaller SUVs? I know a couple people that have Honda CRVs and love them and my mom has had two Ford Escapes and she absolutely loves it... I like it too and wanted one for myself but I''m more of a mid-size car person.

Good Luck! Let us know what you end up getting and show us pics!
9.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
i love my 05 civic! i would steer clear of cobalts, especially if you don''t love it now. altimas are really nice too, and with a few years on em are in the same price range as that cobalt. or any nissan really. you can''t go wrong with a japanese car. they''re cheap to maintain and nice! good luck!

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to pass on the car. It''s nice, but it''s $4000 more than I wanted to spend, and if I''m going to finance, it''s got to be something I adore. Even though my Bug was such a pain in the ass and had so many problems, I loved it from day 1 and today I even miss it. SO!... I made a decision! YAY for Nessa.
37.gif

Thank you all for replying! You''re all so sweet. I love this site
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 1:17:40 PM
I''m going to pass on the car. It''s nice, but it''s $4000 more than I wanted to spend, and if I''m going to finance, it''s got to be something I adore. Even though my Bug was such a pain in the ass and had so many problems, I loved it from day 1 and today I even miss it. SO!... I made a decision! YAY for Nessa.
37.gif

Thank you all for replying! You''re all so sweet. I love this site
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Good for you!!! I like the fact that our convertible makes my heart sing every time I look at it!! I''m definitely not one of those people who wants a car that will get me from A to B. If I''m going from A to B I want to savour every moment
36.gif

Keep looking, Nessa, and you''ll find the perfect car for you!!
35.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 11:03:59 AM
Author: tberube
Do what your gut says, but I''ll tell you the thing that I figured out the day I had to give up on the Mini Cooper I wanted forever and bought another Civic instead (2007 fully loaded, naturally, but still much more economical):

At the end of the day, it''s just a car. Gets you to and from work and grocery shopping. The novelty of even your ultimate dream car will eventually wear off and it will become an expensive, gas-dependent tin can on tires - just like all the others. I say if it works well, has a lot of life left in it, isn''t ugly to your eye and you can drive it comfortably, go for it.

Save the butterfly feelings for things like diamond rings and new homes.

Good luck! I look forward to meeting you at the PS GTG tomorrow!
9.gif

ETA: and if your gut says no to the Cobalt, go for a Civic. I swear by them.
DITTO therube, DITTO!

I traded in my ''05 Equinox LT (fully loaded, made my heart sing, yadda yadda yadda) for an ''07 Honda Civic last November. The Equinox was the first new car I ever purchased, and I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. The thing was, I quickly realized that it was just a car. AND it gobbled up a lot of gas which made me feel very irresponsible.

Was I excited when they took my Equinox away and left me with my little Civic? No. I was actually a bit sad. But then I got into my Civic, drove away, and honestly couldn''t really feel much of a difference after spending ten minutes in the car. AND now I average 32 mpg instead of 19!

It''s just a car. The important thing is that the Civic is a good car, reliable, and fuel efficient. I love it now, and I''m pretty sure I''ll be driving Civics for a long, long time.

Good luck finding your car!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nebe, have you thought about a Toyota Corolla? I bought mine new three years ago and I love it. Corollas and Civics are pretty comparable and they''re both great cars.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Nebe,
I have the Chevy Malibu Maxx and I love it. All the seats in the back fold down to where I can load big stuff, the gas mileage is good and since I have bought the car I haven’t had a problem with and thing breaking down on it. I also had a ton of fun helping the sells men choosing an engagement ring for his girl (he chose a Simon g with a diamond from white flash).
Forgive any spelling errors I have a tummy virus.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wish I had never let my Corolla go....I''m all about the Civic or Corolla, honestly. Good luck nebe! Research, research, research, then research some more...and test drive everything you can possibly test drive. IMO the Civics and Corollas are about the best deals out there as far as reliability, gas mileage, and safety, but you''re the one driving the car so you be the judge and do what is comfortable for you and your budget.
36.gif
35.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
I''m test driving a Malibu, two Sentras and something else tomorrow. I''ve already driven 12 cars in the past two weeks! I think if I can''t find anything else soon I may have to just buy a (against my better judgement) new Toyota Yaris. They''re soooo cute and under $13k new. Unless I can find a used.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results