shape
carat
color
clarity

New baby (of the feline variety)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Last week DH "surprised" the kids and I by bringing this little guy home. We''ve been throwing the idea of getting a cat for a while. I''ve wanted a Ragdoll since I was a kid. Knowing this DH started on the project of researching the breed and local breeders to find this guy. His temperment really suits our family as he is laid back and not afraid of some kid noise and A LOT of activity (you can see from the pics that there are always toys on the floor in the family room - even though they have their own bedrooms and a playroom...Sorry ranting now) Anyway, Leo, the red mitted Ragdoll, is 4 1/2 mos. old and very loving. I guess 6:30 a.m. is late enough for us to be sleeping because he wakes us up every morning by purring and crawling all over us. If DH and I won''t get up he goes into DD''s room to snuggle with her. He''s never more than a foot from anyone. His personality is more like a dog than any other cat I''ve ever had. Here are a few pics.

Sleeping

sleepy leo.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Big blue eyes

leo 1.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Last night he was watching Van Helsing in HD. We were cracking up!

leo van helsing.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
He was trying to get a better look at the doggie!

leorookiedec.JPG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sweet.
Isn''t it funny when pets actually watch TV?
Hahahaha

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
This is just after a few days of getting him. He and the dog get along very well.

sleeping together.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
He''s been a little naughty the last few days. He likes to gnaw hands!

naughty leo.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Last one. He even likes my 4 year old DD (and Lilly the doll) to hold him!

leo and E.JPG

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, he''s precious! I don''t know much about Ragdoll cats. What do you mean that his personality is a lot like a dog''s? Thanks!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2006 10:57:24 PM
Author: Lynn B
Oh, he''s precious! I don''t know much about Ragdoll cats. What do you mean that his personality is a lot like a dog''s? Thanks!
Thanks Lynn! We love him!

He''s like a dog in many ways. For one, he''ll be big. 15 - 20 lbs. When he lays down it''s frequently in the center of the room...Not off to the side or behind (or under) something like most cats that I''ve had experience with. He follows us around the house including into the bathroom which I really am NOT a fan of. When we get home he greets us and runs around excitedly. He''s learning to play catch. He chews on stuff. Has anyone ever had a cat that chews??? I know I haven''t. And he licks us like a dog would. He''s a funny kitty!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
He''s just gorgeous...love those big blue eyes!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
He''s such a love Miranda!!!! I know what you mean about him acting more like a dog. I had a cat that was just like that. Enjoy him, he''s got spunk, gotta love that!!! And those blue eyes!!
30.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG Miranda he''s ADORABLE!!! He sounds like a total sweetheart. Congratulations on your new addition! That was a very sweet thing for your DH to have done for you.

FYI, we have a kitten around the same age and he''s been biting too, the vet said it is probably because they are often teething at that age (4-6 months). Just a thought.

What does your kitty''s voice sound like? I''ve heard Ragdolls are supposed to have really nice soft voices.

Its so funny about the ragdoll - we have a little rescue kitten that we got in September who looks exactly like a sealpoint ragdoll (see pics below), including the blue eyes and the little tufts on the paws. Since he''s an orphan he''s probably not purebred - the person who pulled him from the shelter thought he was a snowshoe (siamese/DSH mix), but he''s too fluffly for that. The personality is so much like you describe, especially the walking on us and purring early in the morning. Anyway, here are the pics, I don''t mean to thread hijack, I just thought it was funny since DH and I had just figured out that our little guy fits the breed description for a ragdoll!

You can sort of see his pretty blue eyes and the tufted paws in this picture:
47b6cc28b3127cce8fcf35c5e8db00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

This one shows the markings better:
47b6cc28b3127cce8fcf35c869e600000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

And here he is "helping" my DH study:
47b6cc28b3127cce8fcf35c1e8df00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! He IS a total love!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2006 11:45:14 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
OMG Miranda he''s ADORABLE!!! He sounds like a total sweetheart. Congratulations on your new addition! That was a very sweet thing for your DH to have done for you.

FYI, we have a kitten around the same age and he''s been biting too, the vet said it is probably because they are often teething at that age (4-6 months). Just a thought.

What does your kitty''s voice sound like? I''ve heard Ragdolls are supposed to have really nice soft voices.

Its so funny about the ragdoll - we have a little rescue kitten that we got in September who looks exactly like a sealpoint ragdoll (see pics below), including the blue eyes and the little tufts on the paws. Since he''s an orphan he''s probably not purebred - the person who pulled him from the shelter thought he was a snowshoe (siamese/DSH mix), but he''s too fluffly for that. The personality is so much like you describe, especially the walking on us and purring early in the morning. Anyway, here are the pics, I don''t mean to thread hijack, I just thought it was funny since DH and I had just figured out that our little guy fits the breed description for a ragdoll!

You can sort of see his pretty blue eyes and the tufted paws in this picture:
47b6cc28b3127cce8fcf35c5e8db00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

This one shows the markings better:
47b6cc28b3127cce8fcf35c869e600000016108AZNGLlyzYuB

And here he is ''helping'' my DH study:
47b6cc28b3127cce8fcf35c1e8df00000016108AZNGLlyzYuB
Thanks for the biting info! He just gnaws on me and he even chews on the kids'' toys!

Your kitty sure looks like a ragdoll! His color and markings are beautiful! You are so fortunate to have found one at a shelter. There was a cat at a local shelter that was a himilayan and ragdoll mix. I got there just as someone else was adopting her. All of the pet shelters in my general area have had a number of sick pets lately so we decided to go with a breeder. I could not imagine the children getting attached to a pet and then it becoming very ill or worse. I know it happens, but, we thought our chances were a little better. I really would have preferred to adopt a cat though as so many need a home. Enjoy your baby and thanks for posting the pics!

Leo''s voice is very soft. I think he will be this huge cat with a tiny soft meow. Kinda sissylike!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
So cute! Both cats. I''m dying to get a cats or two. I''ll have to look into Ragdoll cats - LOL what a cute name. I had heard of Maine Coon cats but never these.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG. What beautiful kitties!!! It's so funny, e/t I think all cats are heaven, when you get a loving cat, it's like OUT OF THIS WORLD....!!! My Scotty was a real "dog" ...but with the benefits of a cat!

I may have one less cat in about 5 minutes b/c Vinny has the night crazies right now. I want to strangle him.

BTW, LOVE the built-ins!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2006 12:38:53 AM
Author: moremoremore
OMG. What beautiful kitties!!! It''s so funny, e/t I think all cats are heaven, when you get a loving cat, it''s like OUT OF THIS WORLD....!!! My Scotty was a real ''dog'' ...but with the benefits of a cat!

I may have one less cat in about 5 minutes b/c Vinny has the night crazies right now. I want to strangle him.

BTW, LOVE the built-ins!
Don''t strangle Vinny! Leo has had the crazies a lot lately. He was very calm and subdued for the first few days and then he was possessed! He was just on my lap gnawing on my legs through jeans! DH says it would be logical to knock him off, but, I just love him and his naughtyness so much!

Thanks...I love the built-in, too. The house came with an iritating "media niche" which is code for "pay builder more money to fill empty hole in family room". We had it done post build, so it was cheaper, but, it still irks me.

I know what you mean about heavenly cats. I''ve always loved cats. DH is makes fun of me by quoting Dr. Evil''s "you complete me" scenes with Mini Me. He says that''s how I am with cats.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It looks fab!

And I''m laughing at you complete me...LOL..I''m the same way. Vinny FINALLY stopped doing laps so he''ll live to see another day...Your new baby looks like such a mush with beautiful coloring...Congrats again!

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2006 11:06:28 PM
He''s like a dog in many ways. For one, he''ll be big. 15 - 20 lbs. When he lays down it''s frequently in the center of the room...Not off to the side or behind (or under) something like most cats that I''ve had experience with. He follows us around the house including into the bathroom which I really am NOT a fan of. When we get home he greets us and runs around excitedly. He''s learning to play catch. He chews on stuff. Has anyone ever had a cat that chews??? I know I haven''t. And he licks us like a dog would. He''s a funny kitty!

My cat is exactly the same! She lays in the middle of the living room floor, even when people are over and she follows us around everywhere! She always has to be in the same room that my boyfriend and I are in. She does like to chew, but mostly on my socks or plastic. She gives us kisses all the time and she likes to play fetch with certain toys. I am happy to hear that my cat isn''t the only one with these tendencies! My cat is not a ragdoll, at least I don''t think she is, she is just a run of the mill short haired cat. Leo sounds like a sweetheart and he is such a cutie! Enjoy him!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
He''s beautiful!! What beautiful fur and eyes he has, what a cutie. I''m surprised he gets along with the dog so well, my parent''s cat and dog get along terribly. They actually physically box each other with their paws.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
He is gorgeous (as is your DD)!! What a sweet thing for your husband to do.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful addition to your family! It was so sweet of your hubby to bring him home, and it looks like he's fitting right in. I really love the pic where he's trying to get a better look at the dog!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Awe he''s so cute! I miss having pets
7.gif
. FI and are are pretty sure that we shouldn''t get one until after the wedding, though, since we''re planning it out of town and have to be away a lot of weekends right now. I can''t wait to have a kitty again, though
1.gif

portia

Brilliant_Rock
What an adorable kitten! Beautiful blue eyes!! I''ve heard ragdolls have great personalities. That''s great that it only took a few days for your kitten and dog to adjust to each other. We just bought a kitten (she''s 3 mos.) and we''re not having such luck in getting the other cats to accept her. And don''t worry about the biting... we''re having the same problem. Our other female did the same thing when she was 3 months old and she didn''t turn into a biter.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Oh Miranda, he's gorgeous!!!

I have a ragdoll too!! His name is Bear, and like your baby - he's SO much like a puppy. He also licks ;-)

He's 3 years old, and still acts like a kitten. I don't think the loose their 'kittiness' for a long time.

AmberGretchen - My raggy, no soft voice there.... He squeaks.

Enjoy your new love!! It's wonderful that he's so great with your beautiful daughter!

*Ignore the bad haircut on Bear... I tried to give him a nice trim, and it came out quite messy.
20.gif

bear.jpg

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Miranda, your kitty is totally adorable. We have Siamese and they are very dog-like I think. They like to be wherever we are. My DH calls them "in your face kind of cats" which sounds like what Leo is. One of our cats named Bosco (a Balinese) likes to lie in strange places like in the middle of the tiled kitchen floor. I''ve never had a cat that liked to lie on hard (cold) surfaces like he does. The rest like nice warm, soft furniture. Re biting, best to stop that now if you can I think, even if it is only teething. We have a cat that we dubbed "the nose nipper" and fortunately he has pretty much stopped that. He used to bite our hands too and that got a little old.

Our Balinese does chew on things. Mostly plastic bags so we have to be very careful to not leave any around. Another of our cats chews on socks. (so we can''t leave any lying around or they get ruined.) Phantom would chew on twisties if he had access to them. My cats all have issues with weird chewing-lol.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
He''s absolutely gorgeous!! Congrats!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Oh, he''s gorgeous!

Careful with the chewing... if you have wires anywhere make sure they aren''t accessible. One of my friends has a cat that chews and it has chewed through 4 cell phone chargers!!! She gives her zip ties now and that keeps her happy. If he''s young, he could just be teething, but some cats chew their whole lives.

My cats are more like dogs too... they follow me everywhere and have "wake up time" rituals too... it''s cute, but yeah, sometimes it is annoying. As in, I''ve been using the bathroom for years without you... I really don''t need your company! ha. One of mine recognizes my horn when I park my car and is in the window waiting for me as I walk up to the house. It''s so sweet! Cats can be so sweet!

Oh, and I love the built-ins too! we just got our plasma tv on the wall but nowhere to put all the boxes yet... I''m working on some plans for destruction!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Adorable!!! I love kitties.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results