shape
carat
color
clarity

New Apartment Colors- or Not?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
A youngster I know is getting her first apartment and will be getting the basics right away and the rest a bit at a time. The question she has is if it is better to get the basics- dishes, accessories, towels, shower curtain, bedding etc.- in neutrals like white and clear OR pick a color scheme right away even though she is not sure what she wants (or where she may be living a bit later on and what it will match next time) OR just enjoy getting whatever colors and patterns call to her and not worry about it too much.

It's been so long since I had such issues that I'm stumped too. But I think (possibly) that it's not a good idea to pick a color scheme you might not be sure about. And that white/clear maybe has a classier or calmer look or whatever you'd call it and is infinitely adjustable. BUT maybe not as much fun or interesting as going colorful and carefree.

What do you think?

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The good things about soft furnishing is that they are not too expensive to replace as the colour trend and style changes through time, so pick what takes her fancy and afford now, and she can replace them with nicer things as her earning power increases.

My own preference for crockery has always been white and porcelain, easy to mix and match, and they show off the food better. Again, they are not too expensive to replace at a later date.

I would advise to spend more on the bigger items such as the sofa and bed, and get better quality right from the start.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pick white and clear but that's because they can get dressed up later on when there's more money around.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I like white. Goes with everything. When we first moved away only I had a job lined up so we bought cheap everything. Our dishes are from IKEA. Less than $1/ plate (they’re knock off corelle looking dishes) and have served us well! Only one broke.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im allergic to whites, greys, creams and beige in any sort of home decor

Some say to pick the paint colour last to match your soft furnishings

as for dishes etc again violent allergic reaction to white

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
White towels look dingy so fast imo.
I love dark ones, but according to my mother they're less absorbent. I wonder if that's still true nowadays.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I live in neutrals. I find the soft transitional look very calming...so my answer is heavily influenced by my preferences. But with neutrals, you can accessorize and paint your way into a new look so much easier than adjusting a print into a new color scheme as time goes on.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
For dishes, I’m a fan of either white or Fiestaware in multiple colors. For the record, our current dishes are Fiestaware in rainbow colors. Easy to replace with a random color if something breaks.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Dishes, towels, and bedding in white.

beatricecrummles

Rough_Rock
Go for neutral colors more specifically white or light brown or light gray. These colors can easily be matched with accessories and furniture. It can blend in beautifully. Then if she finally decide then she can do mix and match to come up with her personal choice.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
White towels look dingy so fast imo.
I love dark ones, but according to my mother they're less absorbent. I wonder if that's still true nowadays.

I bleach my white towels (soak them) & my linen. They always look crisp.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly the first apartments I had most everything was hand-me-downs or dollar store level price. So things like shower curtains, dish towels, just get what strikes their fancy. When I was that age last thing I was thinking about was coordination of decor! Unless eclectic is a decor choice. One thing is true when I did "settle down" I got rid of all but a few favorite dishes etc and bought a set of corelle. Decade + later still look great. If they don't have a strong preference or for the things she doesn't feel strongly about then sure get neutrals or classic white. Maybe rather than thinking of colors, if there is a style she is drawn to (eclectic, cottage, minimalist, modern, coastal, traditional) get items that blend with that look.

Last edited:

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
Honestly the first apartments I had most everything was hand-me-downs or dollar store level price. So things like shower curtains, dish towels, just get what strikes their fancy. When I was that age last thing I was thinking about was coordination of decor! Unless eclectic is a decor choice. One thing is true when I did "settle down" I got rid of all but a few favorite dishes etc and bought a set of corelle. Decade + later still look great. If they don't have a strong preference or for the things she doesn't feel strongly about then sure get neutrals or classic white. Maybe rather than thinking of colors, if there is a style she is drawn to (eclectic, cottage, minimalist, modern, coastal, traditional) get items that blend with that look.

Im a fan and a lover of cottage designs :D I feel that it is very warm and nostalgic.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite color scheme is blue and white. More white with a dash of blue. I hate anything beige or cream.

Give me blue and white any day, any way, and I am a happy camper in a happy and peaceful beautiful space. I find blue and white to be calming influences and colors that bring me joy.

luxury-kitchen-with-white-shaker-cabinets-blue-island-with-white-marble-counters-and-globe-pen...jpg

whitelivingroom.jpg

blue-bedroom-57928fa05f9b58173bc2bb2b.jpg

These rooms are not necessarily my style but just sharing as examples of blue and white. I prefer much less furniture and rugs in my rooms. I had trouble finding just what I wanted to share so using these purely for color combos and not as examples of what I find to be relaxing rooms. These are too cluttered for me. Though I love that kitchen!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
First apartment, I think the best things to splurge on are:

- Quality down comforters, pillows and white sheets (monogrammed)
- White towels (monogrammed)
- Nice knives, pots and pans, maybe OXO kitchen tools
- Rugs (hand knotted wool, vintage orientals if that’s your style)
- Art that speaks to you

Basically, I’d think about splurging on items that can fit in a small car since early years are often so full of moves. I would get all linens professionally monogrammed. If monograms aren’t your thing, do white thread on the white linens. I picked a goldy-taupe color that looked amazing. You’ll have so many roommates, boyfriends, guests. It’s amazing how those ultra luxe towels can wander off if not monogrammed!

If this is a city the person is planning on staying in, some basic good quality furniture. A small armchair and ottoman.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I need color, always have. Not bright, but a variety of pleasing tones. I didn't really care about being too designed. Honestly, still don't. The only thing I bought in the beginning that was somewhat incongruously expensive was bed/bedding. A great mattress and I need featherbeds, I usually layer two. If I don't expend effort climbing out- it's not squishy enough. Just help her get the higher quality basics for furniture, the rest should be fun.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump. Now I hear that cool greys are out and warm creams With dark brown mid century furniture is back and houseplants! Have not seen decor in magazines with houseplants! IMHO white never goes out Of fashion.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if I was starting out again I would get white, gray, or cream everything. I have white dishes in different textures that I mix with different sets of patterned plates. My walls and couches are neutral but I add pops of color..As she decides what colors she likes..she can just add to what she has already instead of replacing everything. She can mix all the above neutrals together with whatever colors she purchases later..

filigreenyc

Rough_Rock
Having lived in many small apartments over the years, I +1 neutrals. Don't be afraid of darker neutrals like dark wood, leather, and black painted furniture, which can add interest without a commitment to a statement color! All cream/white/beige can be soothing and make a small space feel larger, but it's also hard to keep clean (especially if there are roomates/kids/pets).

I personally chose all neutrals for years, and kept the pops of color to easily replaced things like artwork, throw pillows, blankets, etc. I experimented in my last apartment with a mod orange-grey-white scheme, but now I am back to neutral colors in a white-painted apartment. The pieces that have stayed with me through the moves are neutral wood tones. Like @GoldenTouch I bleach all my white linen and tea towels to keep them fresh!

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I'd say go with white and/or neutrals for the big stuff and accessorize with color. We have Fiesta Ware dishes and Le Creuset pots and pans in a rainbow of colors, and they do liven up our kitchen (white cabinets and grayish-taupe countertops). However, last summer, I bought a set of very simple, super-basic all-white Corelle dishes, and I adore them. My sister refers to them as "college dishes," but they're light, easy to wash, and hard to break. (And, speaking of breaks, sometimes my eyes need a break from the rainbow riot, as much as I love our earlier choices!)

Last edited:

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
My favorite color scheme is blue and white. More white with a dash of blue. I hate anything beige or cream.

Give me blue and white any day, any way, and I am a happy camper in a happy and peaceful beautiful space. I find blue and white to be calming influences and colors that bring me joy.

luxury-kitchen-with-white-shaker-cabinets-blue-island-with-white-marble-counters-and-globe-pen...jpg

whitelivingroom.jpg

blue-bedroom-57928fa05f9b58173bc2bb2b.jpg

These rooms are not necessarily my style but just sharing as examples of blue and white. I prefer much less furniture and rugs in my rooms. I had trouble finding just what I wanted to share so using these purely for color combos and not as examples of what I find to be relaxing rooms. These are too cluttered for me. Though I love that kitchen!

@missy these are beautiful. I love the colors - it is so light and relaxing. And I like minimalist designs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results