shape
carat
color
clarity

Nesting Question :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I would post this in FHH, but I want to pose the question to the BWW/LIW crowd specifically. How much seating are you planning on having in your living room or do you have in your living room? Our current apartment is furnished, so we have to buy the living room furniture for the next one and I am trying to decide if we need a sofa and a chair right away..or if we can get our sofa and entertainment center and wait on the matching armchair.
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a couch and a love seat and that''s it. We have a few ottomans that match which we use for extra seating if we have too many guests. We bought the entire set together, so this question didn''t come up. I would get as much as you can afford and/or have room for right now.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We both had a couch and an armchair in our previous apts, so we had the problem of too much furniture when we moved in together...our (very small) living room now houses a couch and two armchairs, which is how we had our first house, too. Our living room is a little cozy, but works great when we have another couple over (so three people don''t have to squish together on the couch).

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
We currently have two love seats and an armchair with matching ottoman which is great for right now, but eventually we want to trade the two love seats for a nice big sectional to stretch out on!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a sofa and a one-and-a-half chair (which is AWESOME) so those two pieces seat five people. And then, instead of a table we bought a big ottoman-table piece, I don''t know how to describe it, but a bunch of people can sit on that, too. And then we have another ottoman in the room, and a chair in my reading nook that we can swing around and bring into the space, too.

SO, that''s about seating for ten. But I LOVE entertaining, and we''re frequently cozying up with friends and family in our house.

If you can''t afford all the furniture at once, you could do what I do--put a big wicker basket with five or six comfy throws in it in a corner of the room. People will sit anywhere if they can wrap a throw around their shoulders. And they''re less expensive than sofas!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for replying so quickly! That''s a great idea, Haven. I do have a papasan(sp) chair I bought yeeeaaars ago at Pier1..and I was thinking about getting a new cushion for it (a more neutral one..my current one is purple) and keeping it in the guest room unless we need it for the living room which would allow us to move it into the living room to provide extra seating until we got the chair. We also will have 2 bar/counter-height stools in the room since the kitchen is right there..I just think they''re not quite as comfy.

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
That''s a good question. FI has two love seats and an ottoman in his living room. He has a couple of foldup chairs stored away in an extra room that he pulls out from time to time with extra guests. There''s also a family room with a pull out couch and love seat. I don''t think he''d want to add any extra seating in either room, because they are pretty well filled. The good news is he has so many rooms for entertaining that it works out nicely. We don''t live together, but I like all of the furniture he has right now, so we won''t have to do much extra furnishing when we get married.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had seating for about 7-8 people comfortably in the living room

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I think having seating for 5-6 people is pretty good. We have a couch that seats 3, a rocking chair, and another chair. I do wish we had more comfortable seating and I am looking forward to having a chair and a half with an ottoman or a loveseat.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a BWW, but recently had to get furniture for my apt, which was unfurnished. We ended up getting a two piece l-shaped couch and it fits about 5-6 squished or unsquished ha, and a chair that matches. I LOVE the l shape because everyone is looking at each other and is centered around one area. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a couch, a big chaise (a cushy chair that's seat extends forward), a decently nice fold up chair (it is really a throw pillow holding apparatus), 2 ottomans, and then our dining room set is made up of 4 ottomans. So really, we have comfortable seating for...12.

I'd get the sofa and wait on the chair. I like papasan chairs too.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Like Elmorton, we both had full living room sets when we moved in together, so we had to figure out where to squeeze everything in. We ended up with two full size couches and a recliner. We only ever sit on one of the couches, but sometimes if I'm not home FI will use the recliner. The two couches take up a bit of room, but they're wonderful when we have company over, so ultimately I'm glad we have both.

If I were you, I'd lean towards a couch and a loveseat, or if your room is very small, a chair. I suppose you could wait on getting the chair ... I guess it depends how long you're going to wait and how often you have people over.

ETA: We have easy seating for probably 9 in our living room, but if you bring in dining room chairs it's 13 or so (even more if you bring chairs up from the basement! we have lots of chairs ... haha)

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
We have a couch, a loveseat and a Poang chair from Ikea = seating for 6. I guess it depends on how many people you usually have over!

This works fine for us normally, and we definitely don''t have room for anymore permanent furniture in that room. What we did was get 4 wooden folding chairs from Ikea (they''re only about $12 each). We use them in the living room when we have a larger group over, and then we move them to the dining room for additional seating around the table. When we''re not using them, they''re folded up in the dining room closet. This works great for us!

teapot

Shiny_Rock
We have a couch that seats 3-4 people (usually two couples or 3 people), a side chair that seats and two chairs and an ottoman that acts as seating when needed. If i were you, I would get the couch/sofa and the entertainment center. Unless you get a deal on a sofa+love seat combo. Seating can easily remedied with chairs from other rooms.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Just realized I never updated this or thanked everyone..we ended up getting our sofa, an accent chair and a matching ottoman. :) So I think it''ll be a good amount of seating!
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! Post pics when you have everything set up!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 8:33:20 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
YAY! Post pics when you have everything set up!

Will do!! Unfortunately that won''t be until June though.
7.gif
It''s going to be sitting at the furniture store until then..we''re paying for "storage" for the next 2 months because it came in seriously faster than they said it would. We weren''t expecting it until late April/early May. Yeah it came in w/in like two weeks.
6.gif
6.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We''ve gone through several versions since we moved in together. Unless you are the type that has people over A LOT (and I do mean A LOT - we have people over probably at least once a week, and it still doesn''t change this), I''d say be sure you have REALLY comfortable and supportive seating for you and your FI/DH, and then fit everything else around that. Right now we have a really pretty couch that neither DH nor I can sit on comfortably, and its a huge pain in the you-know-what.

I think you can get away with having minimal seating in the living room unless you have a ton of space or you entertain a whole lot - it will give you more living space and make it feel more roomy. We drag over our dining room chairs when necessary, and we also have folding chairs as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results