shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous break down over a design!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think my subject says it all. My boyfriend and I are probably a little while away from getting engaged, I''m hopeful for late this year but I wouldn''t be shocked if it wasn''t for a year. I don''t really want to have a part in knowing when the engagement will happen because I will lose my mind. I''ll start getting paranoid that every little move he makes means he is about to ask and then when he doesn''t I will either flip out on him or just be miserable. Sounds sweet,I know.
17.gif

I''m not sure if anyone has seen my threads in rockytalky but what I''m trying to do (and he seems very open to hearing) is to basically figure out EXACTLY what I want, hand over to him who I want him to use for vendors and walk away with a happy mind and heart knowing I gave him exactly what I want. He and I have similar taste so design isn''t a huge issue. The issue is...CHOICES!!!! Too many choices. I had pretty well settled on a design I was sure I was going to love only to later hear engraving and milgrain done on platinum/palladium will smear and disfigure over time. Super! Since my design had a lot of milgrain and engraving and I was going to use palladium as I am allergic to white gold. Yay!

Yeah that''s sarcasm you hear. I really want to put this to rest this week. My boyfriend is out of town on a hike and I want to hand over my desires when he gets back and be done questioning and thinking. I think I have another design that I may love more in mind now. I posted it on rockytalky, I have no clue how to link one post to another to show you guys what I''m talking about. I guess more than even showing the design I''m just wondering if anybody else has gone through this?

You seem like a great supportive community. I hope I will be a welcome addition.

35.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi stepcut!

I don't know much about the durability of palladium, but if you're concerned about possible damage, what about bringing the engraving/milgrain 3/4 of the way around the band, leaving the bottom fourth plain? This way, you won't have to worry about damaging the part of the ring that makes the most contact with hard surfaces.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I may consider that. I know that a lot of people on here upgrade thought and my bf and I are both pretty sentimental so whatever he proposes with will be what I have for life. I''m worried about having a delicate setting if over the years (as i''ve read) you won''t be able to make out what the engraving on it was.
15.gif

I think I''m maybe leaning more towrds having a bezel or double bezel set asscher with channel set sapphire and diamond baguettes in the band. That way...no milgrain, no engraving and I get the sapphire/diamond look i''m after.

I''m not sure what about this is feeling so frustrating. I guess just thinking ok, this is perfect, just to find out no...it''s not.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
stepcut - i too had a mini freak out about the design we picked. while i love pave, i didn''t even think about what the sides would be like when i get a wedding band to match. I''ve heard the horror stories. but what made me overcome it was realizes the joy i saw on e''s face, when he watched me put on that ring.
We''ll cross that hurdle when the time comes.
If there is something you love, go for it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 2:30:12 AM
Author: stepcutgirl

I think I''m maybe leaning more towrds having a bezel or double bezel set asscher with channel set sapphire and diamond baguettes in the band. That way...no milgrain, no engraving and I get the sapphire/diamond look i''m after.

I''m not sure what about this is feeling so frustrating. I guess just thinking ok, this is perfect, just to find out no...it''s not.

When you say bezel or double bezel, do you mean with milgrain around the diamond, like in the photo of the asscher ring you posted? If so, I''m having a hard time picturing that on a band without milgrain. It may work, but one is ''sleek'' while the other has more of an antique feel. Is the idea of not continuing the milgraining/engraving all the way around the band something that bothers you?

I know how you feel- you want to get it right the first time! There''s nothing wrong with that. If you''re in no hurry, this is the perfect time to really think about both options and decide which feels the most right.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for responding. Ebree- Yes, the idea of one being antique and one being modern bothers me. I''d be willing to just get a regular bezel to compliment the channel set sapphire and diamond baguettes but I really love the antique look. Maybe I should entertain getting an ew set ec instead of an asscher.

Thanks jcarly for putting it into perspective for me. I realize in the grand sceme this is no biggie.
19.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
stepcut- you''ll figure out what works best for you! remember, one hurdle at a time. and while you listen to the advice of those regarding styles, its up to you to make the best choice for you!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I know it is difficult to wait...but you do have time. You are probably like me - obssess ove the project until it is DONE. Then you can move on. But, you might just take some time to let it simmer a bit.

When my BF and I first started looking, I had something completely different in mind. As time went on, I started to realize that what I thought was beautiful, probably wasn''t very practical for me. I love pave, but I''m probably a little too hard on my jewelry to warrant it.

Anyway, my point is just that it is easy to be overwhelmed when you first start and that you just want to make a decision and be done with it already...but try and relax and enjoy a little, especially since you have time. And, since what you want is custom, you may become more involved in the process later on anyway.

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:24:06 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love
I know it is difficult to wait...but you do have time. You are probably like me - obssess ove the project until it is DONE. Then you can move on. But, you might just take some time to let it simmer a bit.

When my BF and I first started looking, I had something completely different in mind. As time went on, I started to realize that what I thought was beautiful, probably wasn''t very practical for me. I love pave, but I''m probably a little too hard on my jewelry to warrant it.

Anyway, my point is just that it is easy to be overwhelmed when you first start and that you just want to make a decision and be done with it already...but try and relax and enjoy a little, especially since you have time. And, since what you want is custom, you may become more involved in the process later on anyway.

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

This is exactly what I was going to say. Also, you''ve said your BF has good taste. Maybe he doesn''t need exact specifics, but just the fact that you like antique looks, step cuts, and diamonds and sapphires? If you''re not sure exactly what you want, maybe letting him pick how to combine all those elements would be a possibility? I''m sure you will end up loving your ring... it''ll be a symbol of your love for years to come!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results