shape
carat
color
clarity

Neighbor''s cat pooping on our dirt patch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I said dirt patch. We just moved into this apartment less than a month ago, and we don''t know if it''s our space to plant or not? The neighbor next to us (our doors face each other) has a cat she lets out to go to the bathroom. When she sees us, she closes the door really fast until we leave, then lets him out. He constantly poops on the rectangle of dirt next to our stairway AND our patio- the smell is horrible, and now that I''m pregnant, the smell is EXTRA horrible from the urine alone, not even counting the poop. She picked it up for a week or two, but in the last few days she has given up completely, and the poop is just piling up as is the horrid wet spot and stench. As we''re new here, I''m not quite sure what to do, the management company said to work things out between ourselves unless it gets ugly. We''re rarely home at the same time, yet each day more and more crap piles up and it''s really disgusting.

What should I do? Any repellants you can think of?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to talk to her. That''s really gross-especially in a shared space.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 9:26:36 PM
Author: neatfreak
You need to talk to her. That''s really gross-especially in a shared space.
Yup,. Speak up...

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
No real repellants I can think of. Just speak to the owner.

The title of this thread made me LOL.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Sad, our first really nice place and it has a stealth-pooper! It truly is disgusting, and I guess I''ll talk to her about it- it really makes me angry. Thanks for the comments everyone.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I think I would leave a litter box, scooper and a bag of litter in front of her door.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 9:53:17 PM
Author: LAJennifer
I think I would leave a litter box, scooper and a bag of litter in front of her door.
Like this idea, but only of your chat with her doesn''t go so well??

Hera

Ideal_Rock
You could try placing cayenne pepper, vinegar or ammonia in the patch.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 10:04:20 PM
Author: heraanderson

Please don''t do this - I think that especially the ammonia could be toxic to cats.

Definitely talk to the neighbor though - you are totally within your rights, and she shouldn''t be letting the cat out anyway - its not safe for the cats, and its completely inconsiderate and unsanitary
14.gif

beach

Brilliant_Rock
I would take pictures for proof. I would also speak with the neighbor. If they are not around, you can leave a letter stating how bad the smell is in the area. Maybe put a no pooping/peeing sign up
3.gif
You are pregnant and really should not be around that mess. The management should send a general letter out stating the common area policies.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 10:13:45 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

Please don''t do this - I think that especially the ammonia could be toxic to cats.

Definitely talk to the neighbor though - you are totally within your rights, and she shouldn''t be letting the cat out anyway - its not safe for the cats, and its completely inconsiderate and unsanitary
14.gif
I heard it wasn''t harmful if diluted. Still, research fully before you try any products. Wouldn''t want to harm a kitty.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a neighbor''s dog did that a couple of times on my front lawn. i scoop up the poop and put it on their front door step.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 11:41:44 PM

14.gif
I heard it wasn''t harmful if diluted. Still, research fully before you try any products. Wouldn''t want to harm a kitty.
Okay, I did some research and I would not use those methods. On some websites it says it''s fine and some it does not. Talk to the neighbor instead
1.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Apparently laying down chicken wire flat over the dirt patch will stop the cat going onto it - they don''t like walking on it, I have not tried but it makes sense to me cats like to dig away their poop and pee that would not allow them to do so.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 12:12:01 AM
Author: lucyandroger
You should definitely talk to your neighbor because being around cat feces when you''re pregnant can be dangerous. Here are a couple links that talk about the risk of toxoplasmosis from cat feces:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/illness/180.html

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/pets.html

How can she possibly argue with a pregnant woman when it comes to health and safety!!!
She can use the argument with the neighbor and hope she doesn''t know better but toxoplasma is only dangerous is Amber is handling the feces or dirt around the feces. I just don''t want Amber to worry she is hurting her baby by walking past cat poop
14.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please don't do this - I think that especially the ammonia could be toxic to cats.

Definitely talk to the neighbor though - you are totally within your rights, and she shouldn't be letting the cat out anyway - its not safe for the cats, and its completely inconsiderate and unsanitary
14.gif
Ditto and cayenne pepper can be harmful. Also with ammonia besides the safety issue is more likely to attract cats to use the area as a lavatory due to ammonia being present in urine.

Amber there are various sprays you can try which are safe for the cat which could deter them from using the area as a loo. If this neighbour isn't providing this cat with a litter box, is there anywhere else she could encourage him to use to do his necessities apart from this patch?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What is wrong with some people!?!? Sheesh. I would definitely go and talk to her about it. Take pictures as evidence. If that doesn''t work, perhaps the chicken wire would be a good option.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Oh, so not neighborly!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I concur with those who suggest trying to talk to her in person. I know how not-fun that prospect sounds (I hate confrontation!), but it is best to try that before any other methods. Then, if you have to try others - like the chicken wire or going back to management - you can say that you had attempted to be reasonable with her.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''d confront your neighbor and advise that her cat is peeing and pooping on the dirt by your patio, and it is toxic for you to handle... and you''d like her to please stop allowing her feline to use the area as a litter box. If it does not stop after that conversation, I''d lay down chicken wire.

My cat yolanda used to be a VERY HAPPY outdoor cat (out during the day, and she''d come back to sleep inside at night). Our neighbor of 10+ years (before this incident) called animal control on my cat as a nuissance cat (yolanda hunted birds in her bird bath). We received a note/fine on our front door to pick our cat up. Yolanda picked up an infection while at the POUND, that was filled with FERILE cats, this was like death ally. We paid a $75 fine (I think) and then subsequent vet bills to get her better.

Even though Yolanda was FAR HAPPIER outside than in... we confined her indoors as to not have the situation happen again... it could get very expensive to constantly pick her up from animal control. The sad thing was, Yo had 4 houses on her route.. the 4 houses would take her inside, play with her - and apparantly feed her. She was like very happy, and the part time parents, were very sad to see her go.

I am not advocating calling animal control, because as a loving owner of a pet, it SUCKS... but I wanted to share my story from the side of the owner, and let you know, had my neighbor asked me to make my cat stop hunting the birds, I would have laughed... how could I do that? Yo had a litter box in our house that she used. I cannot say if she "went outside too" but if someone asked me to stop her from doing her business, I''d also be like how would I do that? The extreme, of calling animal control, was the only way I''d keep a much happier outdoor cat indoors, because I was afraid my cat would get sick again, OR WORSE.

Sorry I rambled.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Looking on the bright side -- free fertilizer??
9.gif

Festy

Shiny_Rock
Hiya Amber!
35.gif

As a fellow cat owner, I''ll ditto most of what tlh said. I was once in a similar position where my outdoor kitty was (unbeknownst to me) pooping in my neighbor''s vegetable garden! I know, horrible. Unfortunately, the way she told me about it was through a not-so-friendly note and we had never spoken before. Not advisable. While your neighbor probably can''t *stop* her cat from doing it unless she keeps it indoors (which she should, but that''s another argument) she should absofrickinlutely be cleaning up after it. Religiously. If talking to her doesn''t work, go for the chicken wire.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My next door neighbour has two cats and one of them uses my front garden as a toilet. It drives me mad because thats where James plays. He can''t play out the back because thats where our dog Blossom goes. Even though we clean up after Blossom we don''t let James play there just in case.

Our neighbours are unapproachable so we can''t do anything. We are hoping to move soon so the problem will stop. If you feel that you can approach the cat owner that would be the best way to deal with this. If not I hope the other suggestions here work. Whatever you do stay away from the poop!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I would be so embarrassed if she were me. It is impossible to ''control'' your cat while outside; but she can pooper-scooper. She must know of the problem because she did scoop at one time. This suggests to me that she is probably a reasonable woman (on some level). You are new and she does not know what you are like so she probably limits/avoids contact with you in case you are not her cup of tea.

As you are preggo you do need to address the issue but I would tread softly. Be reasonable and you might get a reasonable reply. I would bring over a batch of muffins or cat treats or some small gift and let her know who you are where you live. Say you meant to come over before now but you have been super busy. Say that you had meant to mention something small to her and hoped she could help you out; that you have seen her beautiful kitty about and noticed it used the dirt patch. That you love/like cats but as you are preggo you have to be really careful and are concerned about toxoplasmosis. Say you really appreciated when she took the time to pick up the poop and would be very grateful if she was able to do that so that you can feel safe in your pregnancy. Say you are very sorry if this puts her out but you cannot see any other solution.

See what she says. You will have given it your best shot and if she is reasonable she will pick it up.

Failing that you need to look into preventative measures.

Hope this helps.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again for all the kind replies! I hope to speak to her soon, because the pile is just growing higher and higher. I don''t know when I''ll be able to speak to her because as of the last two weeks, my voice has been utterly gone.
7.gif

I totally understand the kitty owners who have indoor/outdoor cats, but something leads me to believe she KNOWS the kitty is pooping there, and MAY have only outdoor potty only. One instance, DH and I were leaving our apartment for the day, early in the morning. When we were walking out, her door was opening, kitty in hand, since we look into each other''s apartments, she saw us, and quickly closed the door. When I arrived home later that day, the poop pile had risen.
29.gif
Another time I saw went outside to take out the dog, and saw the cat running from our dirt patch, to jump into her patio, where I assume she keeps the door cracked open.

Now, I have no interest in starting something with the neighbors. We''re new here and respect the building, other than the phantom pooer, we love our new place, it''s just depressing to have the very first thing you see when you leave and return to your brand new place is a big pile of stinky poo and pee. Also, we have our small dog, and I''d hate for him to get into that mess as well.

Thank you for all the great replies!
35.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
A cat was doing that in one of our planters by the front door. I never did know whose cat it was. It was very gross. I just sprayed the area with windex everyday (somehow the plant lived anyway) and eventually that cat must have found somewhere else to go cause it stopped.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Talking to the neighbor is a good idea and how about covering the area with some stoness? I know that works for house plants. Some large stones from a pet supply store. Cats like to poop in sand and dirt but won''t like the feel of the rocks. Maybe you could even put down some patches of grass .

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
AmberWaves, I''m furious you have this problem. I would think the apartment management would have a vested interest in maintaining the common grounds. You can get toxoplasmosis from cats (fecal to mouth contact - sorry for the grossness); and my father, one of the leading parasitologists in the US, recommended that my husband scoop our cat litter box while I was pregnant, just to be safe. It would be a pain, but I would report any and every incident in writing to the rental office, cc your neighbor, and keep copies for yourself. Does the apartment complex have their own maintenance staff? I would refuse to clean up the mess, and insist the management send someone who will. A few rounds of that might prompt them to actually deal with the problem. I would comb your rental contract and/or city ordinance laws too. I''m so sorry for you, and hope this gets cleared up soon - literally!

LOL, my dad just called, and I asked him if you can get the parasite even if the cat''s vaccinated, and he said it''s not possible to completely protect yourself even with vaccines. So be careful, and don''t touch the poop!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results