shape
carat
color
clarity

Neighbor’s dogs poop in my yard problem

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
If you live in an HOA with rules such as the kind of driveway you can have, I'd be surprised if they don't have strict rules about keeping ones pets in your own yard. Are there any ways to enforce via them?

I agree that the issue is their being in your yard, beyond the pooping. Even the most lovable dog could react badly around the sudden movements of a child, and I would not want someone else's dogs unpredictably in the same place where my kids were playing. I think playing this angle could be to your benefit - it would be terrible if the dog had to be put down because it was in your yard around your kids and bit one of them. (To be clear, I can imagine with some dogs not being too worried about this, at least if I were supervising the play/interaction, but this could be something to express concern about - who is liable and what are the consequences of their dog biting one of your kids - that might resonate more with them than the supposed little inconvenience of some poop.)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely think 1 more firm discussion is in order. And make it clear that it's already become a longstanding issue. Cuz your neighbor seems to be under the impression that it's not that bad or isn't a problem yet?

And I feel you on the HOA piece. That's why for our forever home, we were adamant to get a place that has no HOAs! Hopefully they'll let you put up a low fence since it won't block other's views and landscapers (if they have em) can still work as usual around the property.

OK a few more ideas.

1. Motion activated sprinkler system...that will deter the owner and the dog.

2. Ultrasonic dog repellant. IDK if this works but here's a link. It doesn't harm the animals.

It is absolutely a health threat to you and your kids and not OK. Their dogs should never be on your lawn period without your permission.

Legally your neighbors are in the wrong and if this were me and talking to them did nothing I would just get a video of the dog on your property and then as I wrote in my prior post get a trespass against the neighbors.

If thinking this kind of lack of dog etiquit would not be tolerated in Brooklyn

I need fences
I must be territorial

i need to know that everyone knows this is mine, dogs and neighbourhod kids included

I grew up with a 3ft front fence but now i want a 6ft one !!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you live in an HOA with rules such as the kind of driveway you can have, I'd be surprised if they don't have strict rules about keeping ones pets in your own yard. Are there any ways to enforce via them?

I agree that the issue is their being in your yard, beyond the pooping. Even the most lovable dog could react badly around the sudden movements of a child, and I would not want someone else's dogs unpredictably in the same place where my kids were playing. I think playing this angle could be to your benefit - it would be terrible if the dog had to be put down because it was in your yard around your kids and bit one of them. (To be clear, I can imagine with some dogs not being too worried about this, at least if I were supervising the play/interaction, but this could be something to express concern about - who is liable and what are the consequences of their dog biting one of your kids - that might resonate more with them than the supposed little inconvenience of some poop.)

The most common dog bite in NZ is the loveable family Lab
how would they feel if it has to be destroyed because its mained a child or worse ?

How can the owners have it under control if they can't even see it because they arn't watching/ don't give a dam
Its so irresponsible

Im going to be hot on this topic till @munchee 's neighbour takes some responsibility

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the ideas!! I’ll look up the ultrasonic repellent!!!

And send the bill to your neighbour!

You know here a farmer is legally entitled to shoot any dog found wandering on his property

I pointed this out to the dog ranger when he came to take our statement when the kitten was attached and killed - Gary told him he wanted to get his hunting rifle out and shoot those dogs (highly illegal in a built up area)
The ranger said ".... we'll im not a policeman ...."

Dogs are more often than not destroyed if they bite someone here- im assuming its the same in other countries

I only hope those dogs who were cat killers were destroyed because the little kitten deserved justice and what if she had been a human child ?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most common dog bite in NZ is the loveable family Lab
You Kiwis are crazy.
:naughty:

Why would y'allz bite labradors?

Here in America the most common dog bitten is the hot dog ...

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.10.59 PM.png

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the support ladies and gentlemen!!!!! Thank you for letting me vent out too.... I didn’t expect I got so many support and good advices here!!!!!
Thank you for the concern too!
Fortunately, their dogs are small dogs, like small poodle and other type, so far I’m not worry about the bite. And actually, thankfully they’re not out that much. So we have a little encounter with the dogs.
I’ve asked my DH to install 2 cctvs in the backyard today. My plan is to install cctv first and get an evidence that the dogs actually trespassing because there’s no way I can watch my backyard all the time. If I catches them going in my yard, I’ll tell her firmly that I don’t welcome her dogs in my yard, at all without mentioning any poop problem, just no dogs in my lawn period. If my cctv still catch the dogs in my lawn then I’ll report to authorities. Its still very muddy due to the snow melting these days so the dog is still inside I think.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yea I think we need to install cctv facing backyard... we also use arlo for our front door. I try to handle this cheaply without any cost but it looks like I can’t.

I tried to not be a petty neighbor fussing over things, I think its just how we brought up, to avoid any kind of problem, but this been years and we can’t take this anymore...

I don’t think its mandatory. I don’t know there’s council animal dept exist. So their dogs would just roam around their own yard and my yard. Never go to the street and other neighbors yard because their house is next to wooded areas and mine. So the dogs only go to my yard and their own yard. When they let their dogs go out its not under their watch. Just let the dogs in their yard, which ended to my yard too :x2 all the time:x2

Oh i can sympathize...I had this problem too, for a looonng time. My neighbors dogs would come into our yard. The people were completely unaware, so we just lived with it to keep the peace. (They are very nice neighbors, otherwise). I dealt with it for years until the dogs died of old age. The worst of it was they would go right at the bottom of my deck stairs, so i had to always watch out for it, and we had to do a sweep of the yard everytime my daughter wanted to play. Ugh!! :(
I hope you find a solution to this most annoying problem.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd install an electric wire on the property line that shocks the dog when it trespasses.
Again ... this is WAY less rude than the sh!te they are doing to your family.

When the dog is shocked, THEY are the ones responsible for it, not you.

Why in the F do people allow others to F them over, then think that makes them "nice", proper, and polite people? :doh::doh::doh::doh:
I say stand up for yourself, or you simply deserve the dogsh!t you're getting - and live with it and just hush up.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd install an electric wire on the property line that shocks the dog when it trespasses.
Again ... this is WAY less rude than the sh!te they are doing to your family.

When the dog is shocked, THEY are the ones responsible for it, not you.

Why in the F do people allow others to F them over, then think that makes them "nice", proper, and polite people? :doh::doh::doh::doh:
I say stand up for yourself, or you simply deserve the dogsh!t you're getting - and live with it and just hush up.

It really isn't that much harder to instill a livestock (wire) fence than a electric wire on your property. Why would you install an electric fence that would shock the small dogs (who are not to blame), as well as potentially shock the children and any wildlife that encounters it?

Or were you just joking?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really isn't that much harder to instill a livestock (wire) fence than a electric wire on your property. Why would you install an electric fence that would shock the small dogs (who are not to blame), as well as potentially shock the children and any wildlife that encounters it?

Or were you just joking?

Okay, as you wrote ... instill (actually install) a livestock (wire) fence than a electric wire on your property.

Do that.

I wasn't joking.

The joke is that the OP tolerates a neighbor's dog sh!tting on their property.
This would quickly stop if my neighbor did that to me ... and yes, it's the human neighbor doing it - not their dog.
Adults are responsible for what their dogs and kids do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results