shape
carat
color
clarity

Neighbor’s dogs poop in my yard problem

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have one person in our neighborhood who lets their dog loose to run around and poop where it wants. We put up a short wire garden fence to stop it. The dog is not very large so it worked fine without the expense or permits needed for a big fence.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully I can talk to her peacefully and get things sorted out without involving authorities. Turned out last year I only sent her 2 messages. And other times I just keep silence. 1 time because I was out with my kids and found the poop. We ended up going back inside. The other time our conversation goes like this:
F26438D9-17DC-4476-B52E-82381A0639AF.jpeg

Reading it now, why do I feel she’s doing us a favor by cleaning her dog poop in our yard?????? When I read this message last year it doesn’t sounds right but I don’t know whats wrong, now I know. And this year she got 2 dogs :cry2::cry2:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
We have one person in our neighborhood who lets their dog loose to run around and poop where it wants. We put up a short wire garden fence to stop it. The dog is not very large so it worked fine without the expense or permits needed for a big fence.

I don’t think our HOA allowing wire garden fence, they even gave us warning because we didn’t put black asphalt in our driveway :roll: so the driveway needs to appear nicely coated with black asphalt, it can’t be grey....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully I can talk to her peacefully and get things sorted out without involving authorities. Turned out last year I only sent her 2 messages. And other times I just keep silence. 1 time because I was out with my kids and found the poop. We ended up going back inside. The other time our conversation goes like this:
View attachment 817650

Reading it now, why do I feel she’s doing us a favor by cleaning her dog poop in our yard?????? When I read this message last year it doesn’t sounds right but I don’t know whats wrong, now I know. And this year she got 2 dogs :cry2::cry2:

Its still disgusting and unacceptable
My big cat Tibby would go next door for a poop (i would rush over there completly mortified and clean it up - he didn't bury his)
But we got him into the habit of coming inside to use the dirt box when he needed to go - a pain for us (because our little cat goes under the house) but i did not want to upset this neighbour who has a very neat and tidy yard

Your neighbour, once she was awear its a problem, has chosen to do nothing about it

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fence. Make sure the ugly side faces them. Fences do help in resale value too. A Motion and light detector camera too to catch Fido in the act..then call ASAP. Unfortunately the dog is trained to go in your yard so they will have to retrain it. There are anti dog sprays with natural pheromones that you can put out but make sure they are safe for your kids.If she wants you to call her to remove the pooh then do...a lot of times until the poop is removed. Make her come within 5 minutes. If she is a no show, call again, again and again. Even if it is not there call her and make her hunt for it. Lol.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t think our HOA allowing wire garden fence, they even gave us warning because we didn’t put black asphalt in our driveway :roll: so the driveway needs to appear nicely coated with black asphalt, it can’t be grey....

Are they not covidents (not sure if ive spent that right) about dog control ? Especially if they are so fussy about driveways (we have concrete and no covidents here thank goodness)
I know of modern developments that forbit a ginny pig or rabbit hutch and you can't have a sign written vertical on the driveway

have you checked your small print

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simplest and cheapest fencing- a wire livestock fence. It will keep the dog out and you can put it up in hours. Fencing is the only real way to keep the dog out of your yard. Now if your neighbors choose to fling the poop over the fence then it really isn't that much help at all.

I had neighbors back in the day that flung their collie's poop over the fence. Turds as big a a grown man would make- in a yard that children played in. I just flung the poop back over and if some extra (my dogs) poop got tossed in the fray- sorry not sorry. They stopped flinging the poop and eventually we became good friends. But, like I always say- You teach people how to treat you. Don't fling no Sh*t don't get no Sh*t.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmmm.
You don’t have any fences?
It’s not good if strange dogs can come into your yard if the kids are outside playing. What happens if they get bit?
tell the neighbours that they need to keep their dogs contained to their yard because you have a rat problem and will be setting traps in your yard. If their dog comes over and steps on one, it will crush their paw which would be awful.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I believe they only said no dog unleashed in the community areas but my yard is my private property so I think they’ll say its between me and her.

@Lisa Loves Shiny oh wooowwwww the real dog poop war... its amazing you guys can be friends after all of that :lol:

@Bron357 no other dogs other than their dogs have come to our yard. My kids usually play in the back yard which are not accessible except from the houses in our row, the only one that have dogs and doesn’t have fence is only them. So in this 7yrs I’ve been living here, we never got any dog visit other than their dogs. I’m very thrifty about home improvement, my house has extremely minimal furniture, almost none decoration, my sofa’s faux leather are all peeled to the point I can’t sit on it anymore so its more of a huge piece of junk:lol: but I can’t justify spending another couple thousands of dollars buying another sofa :lol: So for us putting up a fence which cost couple thousands of dollars is really really really a big no:lol-2:
I think I can tell her that....
Let’s say, I told her that, then I set up real rat trap and her dogs came in and got injured, can they sue me?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to give the neighbor some benefit of the doubt here and guess that she doesn’t realize what a big problem it is (you’ve been cleaning it up and not texting her every time, so she might not really think about it). I’d just say firmly and in person, “now that my kids are older and it’s spring we’ve been spending more time outdoors and having your dogs come through our yard has become a big problem. I can no longer have them coming into our yard, please supervise them any time they’re off leash to ensure they stay on your property.”

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I believe they only said no dog unleashed in the community areas but my yard is my private property so I think they’ll say its between me and her.

@Lisa Loves Shiny oh wooowwwww the real dog poop war... its amazing you guys can be friends after all of that :lol:

@Bron357 no other dogs other than their dogs have come to our yard. My kids usually play in the back yard which are not accessible except from the houses in our row, the only one that have dogs and doesn’t have fence is only them. So in this 7yrs I’ve been living here, we never got any dog visit other than their dogs. I’m very thrifty about home improvement, my house has extremely minimal furniture, almost none decoration, my sofa’s faux leather are all peeled to the point I can’t sit on it anymore so its more of a huge piece of junk:lol: but I can’t justify spending another couple thousands of dollars buying another sofa :lol: So for us putting up a fence which cost couple thousands of dollars is really really really a big no:lol-2:
I think I can tell her that....
Let’s say, I told her that, then I set up real rat trap and her dogs came in and got injured, can they sue me?

I would honestly ring the city council or even citizens advice
You have my sympathies with this situation
Next door tp us is a rental property next door managed by a property manager, we cannot track down the owner
as soon as im working again im going to buy some fence rails and a pack of 2.1m palings and we are going to build a 2nd fence on our side using the existing fence posts.
The bylaw says 1.8m but i reacon who's going to see it to complain and if it gets to council we'll just run a string line and saw some off and we'll still be at least a foot in night better off
i can't stand these neighbours any longer, im sick if the stuff they constantly throw over the fence and their children are out of control and break our trees
I may even plant a holly hedge on our side, a year ago one of them climbed over and stole some things out of the shed and tagged the back of the garage
-
Good luck with everything
i honestly hope you can stop the poop situation

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Just say, "This has become too much. I don't want your dogs in my yard. Make it stop."

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m going to give the neighbor some benefit of the doubt here and guess that she doesn’t realize what a big problem it is (you’ve been cleaning it up and not texting her every time, so she might not really think about it). I’d just say firmly and in person, “now that my kids are older and it’s spring we’ve been spending more time outdoors and having your dogs come through our yard has become a big problem. I can no longer have them coming into our yard, please supervise them any time they’re off leash to ensure they stay on your property.”

I just cant get my head around how in anyway its acceptable for her dog to be on @munchee 's property

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simplest and cheapest fencing- a wire livestock fence. It will keep the dog out and you can put it up in hours. Fencing is the only real way to keep the dog out of your yard. Now if your neighbors choose to fling the poop over the fence then it really isn't that much help at all.

I had neighbors back in the day that flung their collie's poop over the fence. Turds as big a a grown man would make- in a yard that children played in. I just flung the poop back over and if some extra (my dogs) poop got tossed in the fray- sorry not sorry. They stopped flinging the poop and eventually we became good friends. But, like I always say- You teach people how to treat you. Don't fling no Sh*t don't get no Sh*t.

I AM shocked.

Flinging one's dog's poo over to one's neighbour????

I admit I do flinging my neighbour's dog back into their yard.

OP: I totally commiserate. I don't know what some people are thinking!!

Our neighbours just replied: "but I can't just go into your yard..."
To which I said: "to clean up poo, anytime"

Theirs is a great Dane and it's about knee high for my 20 month old, so I just chased him off very loudly and they have gotten much better about it.

There's a bit between our yards where we can't put up a fence, but the PS community gave me great advice, as always!!

I bought a removable electric fence that runs on a car battery. Very effective.

Also: those air operated horns.

Also from a PSer.
Worked very well.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock

I told her that in person, now my kids are getting bigger and they play in the yard more, I don’t want them to step on poop :cry2:

Just say, "This has become too much. I don't want your dogs in my yard. Make it stop."
This sounds good, I’ll tell her that.

oh, I didn’t know that garden fence is not a real fence, my bad :lol: I might not need to ask permission from HOA for that:D
I think I’ll install that on my back yard so she only need to take care of the front yard poop.

I remember she told me her house has those invincible fence. If I’m not wrong, but the dog still poop in my yard, I don’t know if I got it wrong or they might turn it off or something whenever they go on a walk with the dog (everyday) then they don’t immediately turn it on after they got home so the dog roam free and poop in my yard.

anyway, putting up a chicken fence might work as they’re small dogs

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had the exact same problem as muncee for years after we bought our house. Same shifting of responsibility by the owners (we were told to call them when we saw a poop. Unfortunately we often discovered the poop by stepping in it.) First it was just one large dog. Then they added a small dog and it, too came onto our property all the time.

To keep the dogs out we would have had to fence our entire yard, and we didn't want that.

The problem only ended after their smaller dog was killed when it ran into the street (from our driveway) and was hit by a car. The distressed driver knocked at our door, thinking it was our dog. Soon after that, the neighbors set up an electronic fence, and years later, a wooden fence. The dogs the family owns now are kept on a leash when they are outside their own yard.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had the exact same problem as muncee for years after we bought our house. Same shifting of responsibility by the owners (we were told to call them when we saw a poop. Unfortunately we often discovered the poop by stepping in it.) First it was just one large dog. Then they added a small dog and it, too came onto our property all the time.

To keep the dogs out we would have had to fence our entire yard, and we didn't want that.

The problem only ended after their smaller dog was killed when it ran into the street (from our driveway) and was hit by a car. The distressed driver knocked at our door, thinking it was our dog. Soon after that, the neighbors set up an electronic fence, and years later, a wooden fence. The dogs the family owns now are kept on a leash when they are outside their own yard.

That makes me so sad :(
Irresponsible owners who don’t deserve animals as part of their family. Poor dog paid the ultimate price. :(

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I told her that in person, now my kids are getting bigger and they play in the yard more, I don’t want them to step on poop :cry2:

oh, I didn’t know that garden fence is not a real fence, my bad :lol: I might not need to ask permission from HOA for that:D
I think I’ll install that on my back yard so she only need to take care of the front yard poop.

I remember she told me her house has those invincible fence. If I’m not wrong, but the dog still poop in my yard, I don’t know if I got it wrong or they might turn it off or something whenever they go on a walk with the dog (everyday) then they don’t immediately turn it on after they got home so the dog roam free and poop in my yard.

I think making it about the poop is the wrong way to handle it. Then they can just say they’ll clean the poop and it makes it your job to notify them. The real issue is that the dogs shouldn’t be running through your property at all.

I definitely think 1 more firm discussion is in order. And make it clear that it's already become a longstanding issue. Cuz your neighbor seems to be under the impression that it's not that bad or isn't a problem yet?

And I feel you on the HOA piece. That's why for our forever home, we were adamant to get a place that has no HOAs! Hopefully they'll let you put up a low fence since it won't block other's views and landscapers (if they have em) can still work as usual around the property.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would verify that you can file a complaint with animal control or the city. Then I would warn her one last time, letting her know that you will file a complaint if you find dog poop in your yard again.

You can also complain about her dogs being allowed to free roam in the neighborhood. The animal control officer doesn’t have to see it with his own eyes. This is habitual. Her dogs can get hurt this way or worse, one of the neighborhood children can get bit because these dogs aren’t being watched.

This is an irresponsible pet owner. No need to play nice. They aren’t playing nice with you. They are taking advantage of your kindness.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
You can also complain about her dogs being allowed to free roam in the neighborhood. The animal control officer doesn’t have to see it with his own eyes. This is habitual. Her dogs can get hurt this way or worse, one of the neighborhood children can get bit because these dogs aren’t being watched.

Thats the thing, this dog only goes to my yard, so no one else in the neighborhood has any problem with that, it became mine only, it’ll be easier if someone else also got this problem for them, but its my solo fight.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I think making it about the poop is the wrong way to handle it. Then they can just say they’ll clean the poop and it makes it your job to notify them. The real issue is that the dogs shouldn’t be running through your property at all.

You’re right... I told her about poop because I don’t want to be stingy because most of the kids in this neighborhood also trespassing neighbors properties in this neighborhood to play with each others. I thought telling them that their dogs can’t trespass is me being a stingy neighbor. But this year I’ll tell her that her dog is not welcome in my yard. And I’ll tell my DH to install cctv to the backyard first before spring comes. So I have prove that their dogs really go to my yard.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats the thing, this dog only goes to my yard, so no one else in the neighborhood has any problem with that, it became mine only, it’ll be easier if someone else also got this problem for them, but its my solo fight.

OK a few more ideas.

1. Motion activated sprinkler system...that will deter the owner and the dog.

2. Ultrasonic dog repellant. IDK if this works but here's a link. It doesn't harm the animals.

It is absolutely a health threat to you and your kids and not OK. Their dogs should never be on your lawn period without your permission.

Legally your neighbors are in the wrong and if this were me and talking to them did nothing I would just get a video of the dog on your property and then as I wrote in my prior post get a trespass against the neighbors.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re right... I told her about poop because I don’t want to be stingy because most of the kids in this neighborhood also trespassing neighbors properties in this neighborhood to play with each others. I thought telling them that their dogs can’t trespass is me being a stingy neighbor. But this year I’ll tell her that her dog is not welcome in my yard. And I’ll tell my DH to install cctv to the backyard first before spring comes. So I have prove that their dogs really go to my yard.

Yeah that is what some people are counting on...for us to be the "nice guys". And get taken advantage of. I am sorry you are going through this and it is unpleasant to have to deal with neighbors who are so inconsiderate and rude. You have been nice. Now you can be firm and tell them no more. Your kids come first.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
OK a few more ideas.

1. Motion activated sprinkler system...that will deter the owner and the dog.

2. Ultrasonic dog repellant. IDK if this works but here's a link. It doesn't harm the animals.

It is absolutely a health threat to you and your kids and not OK. Their dogs should never be on your lawn period without your permission.

Legally your neighbors are in the wrong and if this were me and talking to them did nothing I would just get a video of the dog on your property and then as I wrote in my prior post get a trespass against the neighbors.

Thank you for the ideas!! I’ll look up the ultrasonic repellent!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd keep returning the poop to the neighbor's yard till it stops.

Seriously!

It is LESS rude than what they are doing to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results