shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiating with Venues/Hotels

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies! This is my first thread where I am actually engaged and I am very excited about moving forward with my planning.

Here's my situation: I'm going to be getting married at the Four Seasons Bora Bora and also staying there for 6 nights. They wouldn't budge at all on negotiating the room rate, so I was wondering what kind of wedding fees you can usually negotiate for a destination wedding.

We're only going to need a bouquet, officiant, photographer, hair and makeup and then a wedding dinner. So for anyone who got these items through their resort, did you notice any kind of flexibility in pricing? The wedding coordinator at the FS sent me a price list and it seemed fairly concrete (and really expensive), but I feel like most people negotiate on these things. I just want some kind of deal since I'm spending so much with them, but it seems like they just expect you to pay it and be happy.

And if anyone has any experience negotiating room rates with a Four Seasons, please give me some tips. Apparently I stink at it.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i'm not sure if you want to hear this, but i didn't have any luck bargaining with the four seasons in the UK. i ended up going with another venue. that's not to say they wont budge for you. if they wont give you any discounts, can you negotiate for extras: late check out times, breakfasts included, free spa treatments etc?

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Well that's not very good news rosetta! I have been trying to get free breakfast included since they offered it all this year (they got rid of it for next year), but I haven't had any luck with that either.

All of the "negotiations" have to take place via email, so if you were in my position what would you say to them? This is a general question, so I hope others who know how to get what they want will chime in.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I negotiated a lower suite rate for my hotel. I just told them (via email) that the price of their suite was the one sticking point that kept me from using their hotel, that this other competitor hotel offered better rate X, and if they could help me out I would sign a contract immediately, but otherwise would not be able to use them.

It was a risky strategy -- I had to be willing to walk away if they couldn't give me what I wanted, which would have made me sad -- but it paid off. Are you set on using the Four Seasons, or will you walk if they can't provide any discounts? It's important for you to know that before you start negotiating.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Sillyberry - The only other hotel I was considering was the St. Regis, and they are $250 more per night. They also did not have as good wedding options as the Four Seasons, so I'm pretty much stuck with them. I'm sure the FS knows all this, that's why I'm looking for discounts on the wedding. For the few things I'm looking to get, it's going to cost a few thousand dollars so I imagine there must be some wiggle room there. I just don't know how to get discounts I guess...

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would have negotiated all this before I booked my room there. I did a DW and have not heard of people negotiating with resorts although I did not get married at one. I would personally ask for freebie's with what you get like others have mentioned or something like you if you get some package, they will throw in the cake "for free." You can definitely try to negotiate but I wouldn't be surprised if the results aren't anything more than a few little extras.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't booked my room there yet since I know that would put me in a weaker position. Maybe I need to bluff with them about the St. Regis? I'm losing hope. :(sad

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I would email them, say you are really hoping to use them for your wedding, but are wondering if they have any packages or other specials for individuals hosting weddings as well as staying there. Ask if they can provide spa credits, a free cake, a bouquet, or anything else. Be very nice and enthusiastic-sounding.

They might say no, and then you'll have to decide if you want to do it full-price, but they might say yes.

You don't need to say you're deciding between them and the St. Regis...you can be deciding between Bora Bora and another destination.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the support and ideas snkarma and sillyberry! You got me thinking a little outside the box and after a little searching, I think I know how to get a better deal. My FI emailed them to see what they might be able to do, but I also found online that several TAs have access to better rates/packages than booking directly. I'm just going to see what everyone comes back at and hopefully I'll have a better deal!

This has been annoying me all weekend, so kudos to you ladies who plan more traditional weddings. I don't think I could handle all the decisions and negotiating. :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results