shape
carat
color
clarity

negotiating wedding dresses

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
So my first post as an actual bride-to-be (as opposed to an imposter hanging around BWW!). SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!

Okay, I got that out of my system.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating wedding dresses? I have been into a great bridal shop in Texas and would really like to purchase my dress from them. However, doing so will run significantly higher than ordering from Pearl's Place.

I don't mind paying extra for great in-person service, but not 1/3 more. Has anyone had luck negotiating prices? Any advice?

Thanks muchly!!!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Good question! I don't think it would hurt to get the Pearl's Place cost in writing and then take it back to the salon and see whether they would match it. They can only say no, or maybe lower the price to a differential that you're happy with?

I am in a similar position but decided that the service was worth the extra cost and reduced risk of buying something sight unseen. The difference is probably not 1/3 of the cost though...

Let us know what you decide :wavey:

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Just something to think about-

Although it isn't guaranteed, the price listed on a dress in the bridal salon is not always the actual price you will pay for it. Generally I think most places give themselves a bit of room to move down on the price if it will help them make the sale. When I was shopping for my dress, I told my consultant I really didn't want to pay more than $1000 for the gown. Luckily, she listened to me and didn't bring in anything over budget for me to try on. The dress I chose was listed at $875, but when I said yes to it the consultant told me, "I am allowed to give a discount of up to 20% and I'm giving you the full amount," so although the price tag said $875, I paid $699. I don't know how consistently this happens everywhere, so others please correct me if they haven't had this experience, but as this was at one of the biggest, most popular bridal store anywhere near my area, it doesn't seem too off base to assume that discounting like this is fairly common.

That being said, paying 1/3 extra is an awful lot, so if you don't get the feeling that they will bring the price down, it may be worth trying on dresses in store and trying to find the same dress online for less.

Good luck!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, CONGRATS, SILLYBERRY!! Welcome to BWW!

As far as your question goes... I can't help you there. I went to popular bridal salon in my area... and my mom knew the owner... AND I strongly expressed my dislike at certain extra fees they tacked on (ex: I paid for THEM to have my dress shipped from the manufacturer to their store? Stupid) but I didn't get a discount. Now, my mom payed for my dress... I'm sure if I had to pay for it, I would have pressed the idea of a discount a lil more ;-) . But I doubt it would have done any good.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks y'all (and thanks for the welcome Jaylex!).

I'm going to call the consultant in the morning. I had asked her to pull a few dresses for me from their other store and I was supposed to return on Thursday to try them on, but I feel guilty doing that once I realized I might not purchase from them purely for cost reasons. It just seems kind of wrong to take advantage of their resources (which cost them money) but then buy online from places without the same overhead costs.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, Sillyberry! Glad you no longer feel like an "impostor!"

Anyway, I think Jazzoboe gave good advice. First of all, I would keep looking for your rdress, wherever that might be. Once you find the dress that you want, get a written quote from Pearl's Place (I got my dress from them, but they're actually a local store for me). Then go to the bridal salon of your choice and see what they can do with the price. Worse comes to worst, they won't budge on price. But it's quite possible they'll lower the price, if not match it.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Something you might want to think about is your alterations costs. Do you already have a seamstress in mind? Or were you going to be depending on the services of a salon for that? Will your dress be difficult to alter (ie: rouching, lace, beading, or needs a major adjustment like changing a neckline, etc) or simple (it fits like a glove but you need a hem and a bustle)? And what kind of costs are to be incurred at the salon vs. a private seamstress for these things. Also, do you know your size for sure or have access to the CORRECT sizing chart to be able to order the dress from Pearl's Place? I was contemplating ordering a Casablanca from Pearl's Place but could not find a sizing chart online that I was confident in, as none of them quite matched up, especially in the larger sizes (16/18) that I would be ordering.

Also, while you might not be able to get them to drop the price of the dress, you may be able to get them to "throw in" a veil, alterations, garter, jewelry, undergarments, etc, that might help you make up some of that gap.

Can't wait to see the dress, by the way!!! :wink2:

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
A lot of lines have an MSRP and the dress can't be sold under that. For the store to keep their contract they must not undersell it. Now, some stores mark up the cost initially so that they can discount to the lowest price. Others include other discounts to make up for the fact that they can't discount... For example at the store I work at now in the month of Sept. if you order we'll pay your tax (8.25%) on bridal gowns. Year round we offer 15% off bridesmaids and 10% off invitations after you order.

If they can't or won't back off the price see if they can throw the veil in for free, give you an in-store credit, etc.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input! vc, if I pick this particular dress I believe I'll just need a hem and a bustle (organza skirt). The bodice part fit like a dream. I've been in contact with a seamstress that gets *great* reviews from the other boards.

This particular salon and consultant are tracking down a few other dresses from Watters (from their other store and the company directly) that I would like to try on. I feel like having them put in that work really obligates a purchase. OUPear, working in a salon, how do you feel if you're really helpful to a customer and then they don't end up buying from you? Irritating but cost of doing business? Or do you want to put a picture of them on the wall and then throw darts at it?

I really believe in supporting good salespeople and local businesses. I can just think of other ways I would like to spend that extra money!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I negotiated my price. I called every store I had been to (and some I hadn't) and asked for a quote on the dress I wanted (a Casablanca). Then I called back the store I had been to where I had gotten the best service, said I had a great experience there and wanted to give them my business, but I had been quoted a lower price elsewhere. Then I asked if they had any flexibility in the price. They negotiated with me and we came to a number I was very happy with.

Good luck!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
Thanks for the input! vc, if I pick this particular dress I believe I'll just need a hem and a bustle (organza skirt). The bodice part fit like a dream. I've been in contact with a seamstress that gets *great* reviews from the other boards.

This particular salon and consultant are tracking down a few other dresses from Watters (from their other store and the company directly) that I would like to try on. I feel like having them put in that work really obligates a purchase. OUPear, working in a salon, how do you feel if you're really helpful to a customer and then they don't end up buying from you? Irritating but cost of doing business? Or do you want to put a picture of them on the wall and then throw darts at it?

I really believe in supporting good salespeople and local businesses. I can just think of other ways I would like to spend that extra money!

Hey SB...you're in the DC Area, right? Are you looking at shops in NoVa or up in MD, or downtown? And if you are, and you're contacting a seamstress with great reviews on other boards, we might be using the same seamstress!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
Hey SB...you're in the DC Area, right? Are you looking at shops in NoVa or up in MD, or downtown? And if you are, and you're contacting a seamstress with great reviews on other boards, we might be using the same seamstress!
I'm actually in Dallas right now. We're moving back to DC sometime so I can start work in Fall 2011!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
vc10um said:
I'm actually in Dallas right now. We're moving back to DC sometime so I can start work in Fall 2011!

Gotcha! I just remember you chiming in on a bunch of DC stuff! 8) You'll have to let everyone know when you're moving up here...we'll have another DC GTG!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:

Cost of doing business. Although, I'll say that for the most part the salons in the area all stay on target for the price. Very few go below the price and usually those stores are SO lacking in customer service that they end up doing us a huge favor! I've had plenty of girls tell me they found a dress elsewhere, but want to come back to me to purchase it!

That being said, we do also lose customers either to better deals or sometimes they find "the dress" elsewhere. Why throw darts at them if they will possibly come back for bridesmaids, accessories, etc?

For me, good customer service counts for a lot. When it comes to something so important I'd want to be sure that wherever I got it I was confident in their services. Things every so often do go wrong. I'd want to rest assured that wherever I went was going to take care of me, regardless.

SBolte gave great advice.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Actually yes...I had a quote from Pearl's Place to order the dress, so I went to a local bridal shop to try it on to make sure of the size. The shop actually had their sample in my size, and when I told them the quote from Pearl's Place, they said if I took the sample I could have it for the same price. The sample was in great condition, so I took it so that I wouldn't have to deal with shipping and worrying about arrival from Pearl's Place!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results