shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiate on Etsy and RubyLane?

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I haven’t bought much from Etsy or RubyLane, I mostly take calculated, low cost risks on eBay where I generally negotiate with the seller. I’m curious if people here negotiate on Etsy and RubyLane or is it price as marked pretty much? What if it’s jeweler (like DanielM, HoW, etc.) on Etsy and they provide an estimate — do you negotiate? Thanks all — just curious and I certainly don’t want to be insulting without even knowing it!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Rubylane, some items are actually listed with a "make offer" option ... if I want to buy something and the listing has a "make offer" option, I always make an offer (except once, when the price was fair and I didn't want to take a chance someone else would buy it while I was waiting to hear back from vendor).

There are several vendors on Rubylane I've bought from more than once; even if there is no "make offer" option, I may contact one of those vendors with an offer, which is usually between 10-20% off the listed price.

I don't make offers on Etsy. But I will search to see if the Etsy store may have another storefront -- maybe on eBay or Instagram or Rubylane --- as often the same item may be offered at different prices depending on site -- and several times an item has been on sale on one site but listed at the regular price on their other sites.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to sell on Etsy and people would make offers, most of the time I accepted them as long as they weren’t totally unreasonable. Personally I didn’t mind but I know some Etsy sellers get offended by buyers trying to make offers. I say, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, Etsy sellers are on IG too and will offer a discount if you buy off Etsy, such as via PayPal invoice. I’ve done this with sellers who are well established.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, Etsy sellers are on IG too and will offer a discount if you buy off Etsy, such as via PayPal invoice. I’ve done this with sellers who are well established.

Yup, this.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Many Etsy and Ruby Lane sellers have websites or IG storefronts as others have said. Same with eBay sellers so I always try to go to the source since I know they will usually sell it to you for a lower price as they are already avoiding those costly fees. If you get an estimate from a jeweler for a custom piece to me that's a different animal and it would be a bit weird to negotiate.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I have had luck asking outright if they have site to avoid RL/etsy fees. Many are happy to direct you to their site or off a discount code. With sales tax and shipping that can add 10% on top of asking so I take that tact, can I buy direct so you get the etsy commission and I at least save tax (I am still paying tax but if I get at least 10% discount then it at least feels tax free).

I wouldn't ask someone like Dan M as he is making items custom, he knows his costs and tries to keep things reasonable. I would assume the same is for other artisan vendor. You can always ask if there is a way to bring cost down, say less gold or single cuts etc. But someone who has a shop selling pre made items it doesn't hurt to ask.

Any vendor who sells across multiple platforms probably has a little wiggle room.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! This is super helpful!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you negotiate?

Almost always. It is not like Costco. But it's also not a yard sale. Some venues are marked up more than others.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I find it much easier on ebay than ruby or etsy, but when in doubt always ask, even if there isn't a button to make an offer. It couldnt hurt. Because I never know how long the piece has been sitting there unless it's been in my watch list a long time. Any discount is a good discount :) good luck!

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
meant so comment on this awhile back. yes. make offers. worst they can do is say no.

The reality is since I started buying antique lockets I've noticed that most of the antique stuff on ruby lane or etsy started on ebay. sellers buy it there then list it on their site for 100% markup. (note this is not any type of snide towards them, this is just me stating a fact of what I have seen happen tons of times now. I've witnessed items go for X on ebay and a few weeks later its on my IG feed for 2x the price).

I've had antique sellers give me decent deals on etsy. Ruby lane as well. I dont think I've ever paid full price on RL... but thats b/c full price has a lot of markup

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the seller has an IG, make sure you ask about the discount on IG. Etsy is monitoring messages now and the seller can have their account suspended if they agree to discounts if something is sold off etsy.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
If the seller has an IG, make sure you ask about the discount on IG. Etsy is monitoring messages now and the seller can have their account suspended if they agree to discounts if something is sold off etsy.

Eek. I knew eBay was draconian; didn't know Etsy was going that way too. Good to know.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Such a bummer that they are all going this way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results