shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your advice on RB diamond - 1.36 or 1.54?

globalguy03

Rough_Rock
Hi, I've been doing a crash course on diamond education on PS over the past few weeks and have really learned alot. I'm close to pulling a trigger on a diamond but would like everyone's advice on which one would be the better buy.

Diamond #1:

1.36 ct/F/VS2/ GIA Triple EX

Dimensions: 7.06 x 7.09 x 4.39
Depth % = 62
Table % = 58
Crown Angle = 35
Pavillion Angle = 41
HCA = 2.5

I have personally seen this diamond at a local B&M store and it's pretty sweet. Granted, this was near the beginning of my diamond journey so I didn't have a lot of experience viewing diamonds.

Diamond #2:

1.54 ct/G/SI1/ AGS000

Dimensions: 7.40 x 7.41 x 4.58
Depth % = 61.7
Table % = 56
Crown Angle = 34.8
Pav Angle = 40.8
HCA = 1.4

This diamond is from GOG so I have not seen this personally. However, on paper, it looks like a superior diamond. Both diamonds are pretty much the same price ($16,000 - $18,000).

So my question is which one would you choose? The first one has better colour and clarity stats, but is smaller and arguably not cut as well. Whereas the 2nd one is larger, arguably cut better, but has lower colour/clarity and I have not seen it in person.

Attached is some pictures of the 2nd 1.54 ct diamond. I don't have any pictures of the 1st.

My budget is <$18,000 so if you can recommend other diamonds, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Aset 1.54.jpg

Diamxray 1.54.jpg

micro 1.54.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
globalguy03|1317153159|3027124 said:
Hi, I've been doing a crash course on diamond education on PS over the past few weeks and have really learned alot. I'm close to pulling a trigger on a diamond but would like everyone's advice on which one would be the better buy.

Diamond #1:

1.36 ct/F/VS2/ GIA Triple EX

Dimensions: 7.06 x 7.09 x 4.39
Depth % = 62
Table % = 58
Crown Angle = 35
Pavillion Angle = 41
HCA = 2.5

I have personally seen this diamond at a local B&M store and it's pretty sweet. Granted, this was near the beginning of my diamond journey so I didn't have a lot of experience viewing diamonds.

Diamond #2:

1.54 ct/G/SI1/ AGS000

Depth % = 61.7
Table % = 56
Crown Angle = 34.8
Pav Angle = 40.8
HCA = 1.4

This diamond is from GOG so I have not seen this personally. However, on paper, it looks like a superior diamond. Both diamonds are pretty much the same price ($16,000 - $18,000).

So my question is which one would you choose? The first one has better colour and clarity stats, but is smallerclearly, visibly, and memorably so even once set - that is a significant size difference, however much that matters to you and arguably not cut as well Nothing at all from the information you have provided to indicate one is better cut than the other, definitely nothing to tell you about the nuances of #1 and which one your eyes would prefer in-person. Whereas the 2nd one is larger, arguably cut better, but has lower colour/clarity clarity - if it's eyeclean to your specifications, whatever they are, it's eyeclean. If you need the 'mind-clean' of a VS2 then that's a different matter. Same with colour - if you see the difference you see it, if you don't you don't, unless you need the mindclean of the higher colour.. and I have not seen it in person.

Attached is some pictures of the 2nd 1.54 ct diamond. I don't have any pictures of the 1st.

My budget is <$18,000 so if you can recommend other diamonds, that would be appreciated as well.

I would strongly recommend having the GOG shipped out to you, taking it into the store where you saw the first stone and comparing the two side by side in a variety of lighting types (in the spotlights, direct sunlight by a window, diffuse office lights, in the dimness under a desk... find out which one YOUR eyes prefer. 16+k isn't chump change - the surety of making an educated decision is worth the shipping cost IMO.

Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1317154353|3027143 said:
I would strongly recommend having the GOG shipped out to you, taking it into the store where you saw the first stone and comparing the two side by side in a variety of lighting types (in the spotlights, direct sunlight by a window, diffuse office lights, in the dimness under a desk... find out which one YOUR eyes prefer. 16+k isn't chump change - the surety of making an educated decision is worth the shipping cost IMO.

Yup.

globalguy03

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Yssie and Dreamer. I think i'm going to follow it and pull the trigger.

What are your impressions of the 1.54 ct one though? Any potential issues I'm not seeing?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8066/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks fantastic to me, and I vastly prefer the numbers on the GOG stone. I agree that you need to bring that in and view it yourself and decide if you can handle the plot. It doesn't seem like it would be eye-visible, but without seeing it in person you won't know.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
globalguy03|1317162585|3027307 said:
Thanks for the advice Yssie and Dreamer. I think i'm going to follow it and pull the trigger.

What are your impressions of the 1.54 ct one though? Any potential issues I'm not seeing?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8066/

Looks like a nice one.

The difference here is that we *know* the GOG is a nice stone with a certain "look", because of all the information GOG provides and because the AGS report is a bit more precise than GIA.
We simply don't know enough about the first stone to compare it to the GOG blindly from the internet, other than to say that they will have different nuances. That's the reason that real-world comparison is so important - we can't tell you anything about which stone you'll like better - or if you'll even notice any differences

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer the GOG stone because of the cut, and another factor is that there is a noticeable difference in the size of the two stones. So for close to the same price, I can't imagine not choosing the GOG stone assuming it is eye clean.

globalguy03

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input =) One thing I forgot to mention is the fact the the GOG diamond has medium fluorescence. I have yet to see a real diamond with fluorescence so not sure how that impacts the performance of a diamond (I will make sure to try and go see some fluorescent diamonds this weekend). But from your experience, how would medium fluorescence affect the performance of the 1.54 ct diamond?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOG. Besides my not being a fan of WF, I don't like the inclusions where they are right in the arrows like that.

globalguy03

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for their input. I've been in contact with GOG and they assure me the stone is very eye clean and that the med blue fluoro is not noticeable and has no effect on the performance of the diamond.

I'm 99% sure this is "the one", but before I pull the trigger, there's one more thing that i noticed that i need some advice on. There seems to be a very small feather on the very bottom edge of the diamond (pavilion view) if you look on the AGS report that i've attached. I've read that feathers along the edge could result in some durability issues (eg. chipping). Should I be concerned with that?

Attachments

• 1.54 GOG.pdf
    672.4 KB · Views: 33

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a reputably graded SI1 of this size without overly thin girdle or shallow crown/pav, where the feather(s) is not even the first inclusion listed (GIA/AGS list in order of most-least 'severe' under a 10x loupe, first inclusion(s) is grade-making inclusion)... absolutely nothing to worry about re. durability issues b/c of the feathers.

If it's clean to your specifications whatever they are nothing else to worry about either.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love the G SI1 combo.. :love: this is a beautiful stone if you have any concern talk to Jon.

globalguy03

Rough_Rock
Oh uh, I was pretty sure I was going to buy the 1.54 ct on Monday, but came across a diamond today that has made me second guess my choice. The last minute contender is a 1.7ct H SI Expert selection from WF. Here are the specs for the 2 final contenders. Should I sacrifice a little on the cut quality (GOG signature H&A over WF Expert) and colour (G vs. H) for the 0.2 ct increase in size?? The price is $300 more for the 1.7ct. Here are the specs of the 2 final contenders. I was pretty sure on the 1.54 but now I'm thinking the 1.7 might be a better buy?

1.54 ct G SI1 Signature H&A from GOG

Depth % = 61.7
Table % = 56
Crown Angle = 34.8
Pav Angle = 40.8
HCA = 1.4

1.7 ct H SI1 Expert Selection from WF

Dimensions: 7.64x7.67x4.74
Depth % = 61.9
Table % = 56.3
Crown Angle = 34.9
Pav angle = 40.9
HCA = 1.9
Link: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2561977.htm

Which one would you buy??????

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those two I'd buy the WF. But size is high in my list of priorities, and I don't mind sacrificing colour or the H&A very high optical symmetry and moniker to achieve it.

You aren't me. and both look like pretty stones from the info we have. Does either vendor have the setting you want? What are your priorities - H&A proven and branded, G vs. H, a bit more size? Both are reputable vendors and both brands have generous upgrade/return/buyback policies, so those aren't concerns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results