shape
carat
color
clarity

Need tips for travel packages

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
If you are considering France, what about flying into Paris and out of the Cote D'Azure-like Nice? DH and I did that trip in 2019 and loved it. The train is very easy to use. They can even take the train to Monaco. I also love Ireland, but I don't know as much about the public transport there. We drove around everywhere.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I still vote for London, Paris, Amsterdam. Open jaw ticket and three nights in each place if Covid allows. They are all different so it gives them a taste of each place. Hopefully this won't be their only trip to Europe and they will be able to go back and explore more.
Unfortunately, Heathrow Airport is the only international destination with nonstop service available out of & back to the New Orleans airport.

But assuming nonstop flights aren't a priority, my thought is that even if plane fare to Paris and/or Amsterdam is the same price as train tickets, train travel is more advantageous. The train stations are all located in the heart of the cities, which reduces the hassle, time, and expense of traveling between the airport and where you want to end up inside the respective cities (& then getting back to the airport).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I now see that the Eurostar train website has a detailed compilation of the COVID vaccination, testing, etc. requirements for each of the countries they serve -- most recently updated on Friday. Looks like the Netherlands will continue to be more strict than France even after March 23rd, when the Netherlands eases up some. I imagine, however, that your two could nonetheless gain entree:

But of course who knows what the situation will be 2 months from now. Staying in the UK, with a possible trip to Ireland, does seem like the easiest-safest, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, Heathrow Airport is the only international destination with nonstop service available out of & back to the New Orleans airport.

But assuming nonstop flights aren't a priority, my thought is that even if plane fare to Paris and/or Amsterdam is the same price as train tickets, train travel is more advantageous. The train stations are all located in the heart of the cities, which reduces the hassle, time, and expense of traveling between the airport and where you want to end up inside the respective cities (& then getting back to the airport).

I’m not sure you understand what I’m suggesting. I mean open jaw would be US to London flying home from Amsterdam. No flying between European cities. That would be by train. The open jaw eliminates having to get back to London for an overnight before flying home.
But I agree that with COVID staying in Uk makes sense. Plenty to see in 7-8 days just sticking to places like London, Bath, Cotswold s or Cambridge etc.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are considering France, what about flying into Paris and out of the Cote D'Azure-like Nice? DH and I did that trip in 2019 and loved it. The train is very easy to use. They can even take the train to Monaco. I also love Ireland, but I don't know as much about the public transport there. We drove around everywhere.
That works too. I’ve spent a week in Nice every summer for 15 or so years pre COVID. Paris to maybe Avignon to Nice. Day trip to Monaco or Eze or St Paul de Vence. Open jaw home from Nice via JFK is pretty easy.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a couple of hundred bucks cheaper, and give them a couple of additional days (which would be a huge plus imo), if they were to fly roundtrip out of MSY on either Sat. or Sun., May 20 or 21, and return from Heathrow on Tuesday, May 31 ($1001/person is what's currently showing on the British Airlines website) -- rather than doing the weeklong trip of Tuesday, May 24, returning on the 31st ($1,135/person or $2,270 for the 2 of them), which would give them a mere 5 full days "on the ground."

Is your daughter adverse to the idea of going to Amsterdam or Paris? The Eurostar train offers nonstop transportation from London to either of those cities. The nonstop trip between London and Amsterdam takes more time than to Paris, but it's still only 4 hours, so no longer than, say, train travel between London and Edinburgh. And that way, your son would also get his wish of visiting a continental European city.
https://www.eurostar.com/us-en

Since they first traveled abroad when they were your twins' age, I asked my son and my niece for their opinions on the 2nd city. My son voted for Paris; my niece voted for Amsterdam. Theoretically, your twins could do a train between Paris-Amsterdam, but honestly, I don't think they'll find it difficult to keep themselves busy and entertained with 3-4 days each in London and Amsterdam (or Paris), without shoehorning in a 3rd city. The decision may be influenced by the availability and costs of accommodations in Amsterdam vs. Paris.

Stonehenge is definitely a doable day trip from London. 90-minute train ride to Salisbury, and then a special Stonehenge tour bus (timetable for May is under the Winter schedule tab):

Think the twins will like exploring the TimeOut websites for other ideas of what to see-do ;))

In case you haven't already noticed, hotel lingo is different than what we're used to. A "double room" is a room with a bed for 2 people, so they'll need to book a "twin room" in order to get a room with 2 beds -- and that will be an additional charge above the rates you initially see when doing searches. I just did a quick search for London university dorm accommodations, but it looks as if their schools' summer recess (when some dorm or "hall" rooms are made available to the general public) doesn't begin until the 2nd week in June or so.

This is such a wonderful, fun graduation gift for them -- memories for a lifetime!

thank you. I missed this somehow yesterday. Sorry!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone. This is like herding cats, so I told them to get together and let me know when, where and how.

They can’t seem to make a decision.

My original idea was Alaska cruise out of seattle, but maybe a little old fogey for them.

my daughter wants to wait a few months to see about world developments, but my opinion is I’m not sure anything will be resolved in 6 months (sadly).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son thought it was too late to apply for finance internships (he graduates in May but has begun the MBA program concurrent with finishing his undergrad) and he just this morning received a viable internship offer for interview.

My daughter is also waiting to hear about an internship also thought her university. This is why May worked: so they could both say June 1 or so as a start date.

We will have to wait this out. I could always send them somewhere youthful and fun like Colorado.

but thanks for all of the information about the rail and europe! I’m sure we can use this at some point. I checked last night and their passports are good until 2028. Mine too. DH’s is expired.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure you understand what I’m suggesting. I mean open jaw would be US to London flying home from Amsterdam. No flying between European cities. That would be by train. The open jaw eliminates having to get back to London for an overnight before flying home. * * *
Yep, I know an open jaw ticket is one where your return flight does not leave from the same airport as where your inbound flight landed. But I didn't remember that earlier in the thread, you had suggested train travel. So when I saw "Well, I still vote for London, Paris, Amsterdam. Open jaw ticket and three nights in each place," I mistakenly thought you were proposing flights to all 3 cities - my apologies.

@whitewave - how about Puerto Rico? There's such a terrific variety of terrain (beaches, mountains, rain forest) & things to see and do there!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh I hope your kids still get to go somewhere! Ireland would be doable. Dublin seems like it would be fun for twenty somethings. If your kids want to venture out of Dublin, there is a train that can take from to Galway. It’s just a 2.5 hr train ride. Also, day trips are available to Northern Ireland. There’s a UNESCO site in Northern Ireland called the Giant’s Causeway (it was on my travel bucket list) and lots of beautiful sites (including GOT film locations). Ireland is feels insular and is easily manageable.

6598992A-29D6-4AED-9400-BA0BA5937694.jpeg 34402620-A784-457F-B15E-8FE9086DFA0D.jpeg

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I know an open jaw ticket is one where your return flight does not leave from the same airport as where your inbound flight landed. But I didn't remember that earlier in the thread, you had suggested train travel. So when I saw "Well, I still vote for London, Paris, Amsterdam. Open jaw ticket and three nights in each place," I mistakenly thought you were proposing flights to all 3 cities - my apologies.

@whitewave - how about Puerto Rico? There's such a terrific variety of terrain (beaches, mountains, rain forest) & things to see and do there!

for this beach mama, I can sadly say they aren’t beach people

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I hope your kids still get to go somewhere! Ireland would be doable. Dublin seems like it would be fun for twenty somethings. If your kids want to venture out of Dublin, there is a train that can take from to Galway. It’s just a 2.5 hr train ride. Also, day trips are available to Northern Ireland. There’s a UNESCO site in Northern Ireland called the Giant’s Causeway (it was on my travel bucket list) and lots of beautiful sites (including GOT film locations). Ireland is feels insular and is easily manageable.

6598992A-29D6-4AED-9400-BA0BA5937694.jpeg 34402620-A784-457F-B15E-8FE9086DFA0D.jpeg

my eldest and I would totally get into GOT scenery, but the twins never got into it.

we are going to wait 2 weeks or so and maybe pull this off last minute (also in consideration of world events)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son had an interview with a new firm for a summer internship, so we are still in wait and see mode….

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would London locals tell me which Hilton brand hotel is in a central location? Or what area of London? Mayfair is expensive. I’m looking at using points for their hotel, so doubletree or Hampton inn etc.

west end?
euston?
Waterloo?
Westminster?
angel kings cross?
hyde park?
etc

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a London local but I used Hilton points to stay at the Park Lane several years ago and it seemed well located.
I would think something in Westminster would also put them near several of the things they might want to see.
But of course, wait for the London folks. I was just a tourist so may have not chosen well.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a London local but I used Hilton points to stay at the Park Lane several years ago and it seemed well located.
I would think something in Westminster would also put them near several of the things they might want to see.
But of course, wait for the London folks. I was just a tourist so may have not chosen well.

Thanks. I’m back in hearding cats mode. They are back to thinking Ireland. I am ready to book this trip and they still can’t decide where they are going. It might be Scotland at this point lol

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I’m back in hearding cats mode. They are back to thinking Ireland. I am ready to book this trip and they still can’t decide where they are going. It might be Scotland at this point lol

Voting for Ireland! Lots to do there and I felt safe there, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results