shape
carat
color
clarity

Need support...my cat is very ill...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2007 7:32:41 PM
Author: risingsun
Now the vet is recommending that Woody be evaluated for radioactive iodine treatment for his thyroid disease. We were told that it cures the problem and doesn''t have any side effects. It''s not a surgical procedure. I looked at the patient information and discovered that the cat will emit low levels of radiation for 80 days, post procedure. You aren''t supposed to get within three feet of your cat and have to use gloves to empty the litter. We have two other furkids. We would have to keep Woody in isolation, to keep the rest of the kids safe. I thought we had some answers and hope. Now, I just feel angry. Surgery is not an option, due to his age. Medications could damage his liver. We still don''t know what''s causing his current illness. I''m very frustrated tonight.
Just thought I''d chime in as a human who just had surgery for hyperthyroidism...Radioactive iodine wasn''t an option for me since my thryoid was so big, but my mom had it, and this procedure is definitely the safest way to treat it. In humans the radioactivity isn''t as bad, I think she just had to not have contact for a weekend and continue washing her hands and taking precautions for a week. If you can find a way to make isolation work, I would suggest treating this. Hyperthyroidism messes with all kinds of things, such as weight, and especially heart rate, which could lead to cardiac arrest. I''m really pulling for you and your pal.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, Cind and Sabine. I feel more reassured by what you''ve told me.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My prayers for Woody''s quick recovery.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Aww...poor Woody and poor you. It sounds like a really tough situation. I''ll be praying/sending good thoughts for both of you.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about Woody. You''re in my thoughts and prayers.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your continued support and prayers. Woody was evaluated for radioactive iodine treatment, yesterday. We are awaiting renal function tests. If they come back within normal limits, he has to be on meds for three weeks to see if it shrinks his thyoid, then more tests. This is turning out to be quite a process. Of course, we don't have the test results from the presenting illness and don't know what that course of treatment will be. He's home with us now. He's getting a lot of love from us and the furkids. More than he cares to have
2.gif
When I took him to the vet on Tuesday, I did not expect to have him back home again. I'm grateful to have him with us. I'll let you know how things are going, when there is more news to report. The caring on this forum is remarkable and a wonderful thing.
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping you and Woody in my thoughts and prayers still.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 9:35:52 AM
Author: Lorelei
Keeping you and Woody in my thoughts and prayers still.
Ditto. And head bonks from me and the girls.
emcat.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you were able to take him home again. That is so important. I am really hoping and praying that the test results come back and that it can be solved with some medications so that he is well again soon. ((HUGS)) to you and Woody.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear you have your baby home with you now.

This is a really difficult disease to go through with your furbaby, I know, but there are a lot of treatments out there. When my Bootsie was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism we chose to put her on meds instead of trying the radioactive iodine treatment. It''s two years later and she is doing well, and you''re right, we do have to have her kidneys checked every few months, but the medicine is really working.

In retrospect, I wish we had done the radioactive iodine treatment right away. We were a bit overwhelmed with everything and chose to see how the medicines worked out instead, which is okay, but the radioactive iodine treatment is supposed to be permanent and very effective. (And at $60 a month for meds, we''ve already spent more than that treatment would have cost.)

Good luck with making the big decisions, and I hope your boy is doing well.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My cat (who is now 19) was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a year ago. He had gotten down to about 9 pounds from 15. We took him to get a radioactive iodine shot. It's basically a one shot deal that has a very high cure rate for hyperthyroidism. Our cat was given the injection and kept for one week because he was "radioactive." Well, long story short, he is cured of his hyperthyroidism and has since gained weight. The treatment was a bit expensive ($1600), this was in NYC, but we are so glad we did it. He is an older cat but was otherwise in perfect health. If you can afford it, and your cat is a good candidate, I highly recommend this treatment. Best of luck!

eta: should have read the whole thread before posting! i am glad you decided on the radioactive iodine treatment, it really is great! While my cat was gone, the hospital gave us a password and we could go online and see him in his cage.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I missed this earlier, RS, but I am glad your boy is better and there is a treatment that will help him!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear your boy is back at home with you and it sounds entirely possible you''ll have some more time together! That is good news, I was worried stepping back into this thread but am relieved to hear the latest.
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Woody is acting like himself, again. Of course, we still don't know what caused him to became so ill. The vets evaluating him for thyroid treatment called and need to do additional tests. The first set came back inconclusive. We are hoping to hear something on Monday explaining why he was so sick this week. Right now, we are enjoying having him home. We are trying to take this a day at at time. All of your support has kept me going this week, truly it has...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed for Woody
emcat.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thinking of you, and Woody, too. What a handsome boy he is!
30.gif

Please keep us posted.

(Gentle!) head bonks from Boo!
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Marian, I hope Woody will recover and be okay. I''m not a cat person per se but I love Maine Coon Cats...and yours is a handsome devil! You can tell he''s quite independant with that look on his face! Glad he seems better today.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results