shape
carat
color
clarity

Need suggestions on my proposal idea (in Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chatreez

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post. I want to say thank you for all the education and discussions from pricescope members. I started looking for an engagement ring about 1-2 months ago without knowing anything about diamond. Now I have some good idea about it (will get a nice 3/4ct stone - Ideal cut + F + eye clean SI - with vatche royal setting) and it''s time for proposal...

The story is, I actually took my gf to various places, both B&M and online, so that I know her ring size and what kind of setting that she likes. At first I planned to propose to her on a Valentine''s day when we will be in Chicago. She lives in Dallas right now and I live in Indianapolis. We will move together soon so I want to propose first. We see each other at least once a month and it''s her turn to go up here next month. We drive to Chicago very often and we will go there again this time. I know that she will be expecting a proposal in Chicago in this trip around Valentine''s day.

Anyway, I want this to be a (good) surprise for her so proposing in Chicago might not be the best idea. Proposing after this trip wouldn''t be a good idea too cause I don''t want her to lose her expectation. It''s a distance relationship, things are sensitive.

I''m thinking of going to Dallas without her knowing, may be a weekend before she comes here. I know her best friend very well so may be she can be the one who stage this up. May be my gf''s friend can call her to go out on Friday night but I will be there instead of her friend... that kind of thing...

The questions are 1) where to go 2) how can my gf meet me there
I know she doesn''t want to do things like this in public so may be anywhere with park-like environment are good. But if I have my gf''s friend to call her to go out on Friday night, where else should it be but a restaurant? I don''t want to propose in a restaurant but I don''t know where I should stage this up. Also, if she''s at the place where I''ll be waiting, what is a clever way to expose myself for a nice surprise? Should I come to her or should I just sitting on a bench and somehow make her walk into that area and notice me?

For locals in Dallas, she lives in North Dallas but I can do this anywhere if you have any suggestions. One possible place that might work is by the lake (with fountain) at the Shops at Legacy in Plano, away from those bars and restaurants.

I do photography as a serious hobby and take a lot of her portraits. May be we can work this into the plan as well.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you do photography, perhaps suggest a trip to the Arboreteum to take some photos there? It''s beautiful year-round and there are always people there doing family pictures, bridal portraits, etc.

J S Machine

Rough_Rock
As far as meeting her, I might go and be sitting somewhere in the place that she and her friend are supposed to meet. Then when she and her friend meet at the restaraunt, make her friend lead her to you or where you are (in the vacinity) so she will notice you and it will be a surprise. Be sure that you clear all of this before hand with the friend, and let her know that you want to surprise her and that you would like to eat alone with just you and your GF. I''m sure her friend will understand this. I wouldn''t say anything about the ring and proposal to the friend though, unless she already knows, because best friends have a little trouble keeping things like this a secret....

You also have to be dad gum sure you can trust the friend. That is a fine line that sometimes just has to be approached and tried with something less important, just to see if they can keep a secret. You will most likely never know for sure, but hopefully you can trust her.

Then just tell her you want to have dinner together, and maybe go out for some photographs. Just mention that you happened to bring your camera. I would suggest going to the place by the lake or somewhere with some lighting and nice things that look good as backgrounds in photography (you said maybe some sort of fountain). I would start snapping some pics of her, and then when she is least expecting it, say "Hey, let me take some pics of you with this on, and lets see how it looks"----

Of course she will probably go into shock
9.gif
, and thats when you would get down on one knee and do your thing.

Just a suggestion...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about taking her to the Gaylord hotel? I love that place- you should stay the night there with her after you propose!

I know you said Dallas, but I used to work at this restaurant in Fort Worth called The Italian Inn. It''s underground, and you can be seated in a booth with doors that shut. It''s claim to fame is that it''s "Home of the Singing Waiters." So your waiter or waitress will get up and sing when they aren''t serving you. I witnessed many proposals there. It''s voted the #1 most romantic restaurant in Fort Worth year after year. You can even write on the booth when you leave your names and date!

If you want to stick to Dallas, this restaurant has two private booths draped in red velvet curtains. You have to make reservations days in advance though.

elemenope

Rough_Rock
Hi Chatreez,

I definitely second the Arboretum idea. If you can trust the friend, tell her to say that there is an event that your gf would be interested in (a concert, an art performance, ... there are always those kind of things going on there, so it''ll be believable). There are plenty of alcoves and nooks to hide and take amazing pictures and, as long as it isn''t during an event, people will leave you completely alone (even if there is an event, you''ll be fine).

As far as eating, I would suggest York Street in Lakewood (a neighborhood near the arboretum). It''s a teenincy restaurant where you''ll find the best food in Dallas LINK. Tell the person on the phone what your plan is and you''ll be sure to have a wonderful experience.

Since this is a good drive away from the burbs, you might look into hotels downtownish. Of course, there''s the Mansion which is silly expensive and very luxurious. But there are also a bunch of younger, slightly less expensive places like hotel Zaza and the Palomar which are very nice. If those are too much of a waste, I would look on one of the hotel websites for a deal at any of the other nice hotels. There is almost always some great deal on at least one very nice hotel, you just have to be flexible about which hotel you want.

Otherwise, you could take her to lake louisville which is closer to Plano. It can be very beautiful depending on which spot you find. A picnic dinner under the stars looking out on the lake could be wonderful.

Hope some of that is useful. I lived in dallas (both the city and the burbs) for a long time.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results