shape
carat
color
clarity

Need suggestions on asking her parent for her hand in marriage

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suchairman

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Getting straight to the point. I have only a short time before I pop the question. But before I do it I want to ask both her mom & dad''s blessings. My future fiance comes from a very traditional family and I feel that its the right thing to do, but I just need a little help as to how to initiate it. By the way they are from Texas and I''m from LA. I''ll see them for Thanksgiving Day if it helps any... I really don''t want to do it over the phone it seems like a cop-out to me? Any suggestions?
confused.gif

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Do it in person if you can. I did it over the phone and it was fine, but I did have an opportunity to do it a month earlier in person and didn't pull the trigger. I do regret that a bit.

When I did it, I called them up out of the blue and asked both to get on the phone at the same time. Then I explained what I was planning on doing, and told them I wanted to tell them ahead of time. I specifically did not ask for permission, because I didn't believe that was the right thing to do. But that's a personal preference. Many people also feel that you only have to ask the Dad, but I asked both because I felt they would appreciate it more that way.

suchairman

Rough_Rock
Thanks Arlington, you are a big help! I was planning on talking to both parents together as well but, I just don't want her to be around when I do it because I don't want her to have any expectations whats so ever. Thanks again! you're a big help.
wavey.gif

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I was also concerned about my girlfriend finding out. So since I was calling them from another part of the country anyway, I waited until practically the last minute. I didn't (and still don't) think her mother could have kept the secret for longer than a day or two.

But of course you run the risk of not being able to get in touch with them if you cut it too close.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results