carat
color
clarity

Need some help with authentification

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo all :)

I helped my niece buy a ring via LT a while back. It was advertised as 14kt yellow, rose cut diamonds, and opal. She decided to buy a matching band and took it to local jewelers recently, where they told her the ring was plated and the diamonds were actually rose cut CZs. They arrived at the 'plated' decision because the ring had the initials P&S stamped on the inside.

Has anyone heard of this? P&S standing for plated? Here's a photo of the ring - does anyone see any immediate red flags? I've seen the ring in person, and I agree that the diamonds had no light return whatsoever. The opal does also look like a Welo, which seem much more current of late. Also, I can't see how it's being held in place; could it be...glued?

Mekelle's opal ring.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you happen to have picture from underside of ring looking up at the opal?
I can’t zoom in enough to see if there’s little tiny bits of gold holding in the opal or not.
It wouldn’t be unheard of, over the years, for a jeweler to put glue on a real opal, so I wouldn’t rule out genuine opal due to if indeed there is glue. They could have been just a lazy repair?
As for the local jeweler telling your niece it’s plated and cz, theres a chance they could be just as lazy. Wouldn’t be unheard of where I am.
Unfortunately you’ll either need to get with the LT seller and ask for more history/documentation maybe? I’m sure chances are slim on that though. Or find a jeweler who is willing to actually do a gold test and take a closer look at those rose cuts.
Don’t fret just yet. But understandable.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SO much ladies - you are very helpful! And @Paisley2628 - thank you for looking all that up! Has set my mind at rest considerably.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I had a very reputable jeweler in business for 80 years tell me single cut diamonds in a ring I had were cz's. Sometimes I think they are just not used to seeing the older cuts and immediately right them off as fake.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
A Kee gold tester will tell whether it's gold or gold plated. They're great to have.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all great advice - thank you so much, @Rfisher, @Paisley2628, @StephanieLynn and @ForteKitty!

I think it *is* authentic - just to be clear. The people telling my niece it was faux jewelry were gem traders, so how they'd know to recognize a Victorian setting is beyond me. And @StephanieLynn, as you said, single cuts would be well outside their realm of experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results