shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help please: Proposal ideas California

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

California

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I need some assisatnce for some proposal ideas and venue for the September timeframe in California.

Some ideas of what I am looking for:

- restaurant on the beach @ sunset
- some restaurants that have been of assistance to others
- possible places: Venice Beach, Malibu... open to suggestions

My girlfriend has no idea it is coming... and will be totally surprised.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Can you narrow down the county (e.g., San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, etc)? Are you looking into Southern California, Central CA, and/or Northern CA?

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Monteray is lovely around that time of year (well, most anytime), and since it's indian summer, you shouldn't freeze. The restaurants right on the water aren't my favorite, but there's a really nice old fashioned ice cream shop with a patio right on the water, which tends to be quiet and lovely.

California

Rough_Rock
I am looking for any place ~ within a 2 hr drive from LA.
Malibu and Venice I heard are nice

California

Rough_Rock
I am looking for any place ~ within a 2 hr drive from LA.
Malibu and Venice I heard are nice

Thanks for your help

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would stay away from Venice. It's a beautiful place, but very crowded. It's definitely a place to go and hang out at, but not exactly the most romantic of places (there are some, but it's more of a hangout area). In Malibu, on the other hand, there are lots and lots of nice places to go. My favorite place in Southern California though is Laguna Beach. It is SO beautiful! It can be kinda crowded during the summer, but it's still well worth it. There are some great little secluded places there, and it's a great beach community. Also, keep in mind that by considering up to a 2 hour drive you can make it all the way down to San Diego or to Coronado Island. I think one of your best bets is to do a search on the internet and see what you like best!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Agreed -- Venice of funky and for people watching, not romance. I love many of the places in Laguna Beach. You can choose from small to big and ritzy. Don't know much about Malibu other than there are some nice restaurants on the water. La Jolla is also a place you should look into. I like it better than San Diego.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
La Jolla is in San Diego county, which is what I was referring to (I live in Del Mar, CA but people from out of town call everything down this way San Diego). There are some AMAZING places in both Del Mar and La Jolla such as the Marine Room (restaurant on the beach), Mt. Soledad (a beautiful cross with a panoramic view of the county--http://www.soledadmemorial.com/), the Del Mar Plaza and Seagrove Park...the list goes on and on. If you do decide to head down to San Diego, let me know and I can steer you in the right direction. As for Malibu or Laguna, there are several nice restaurants and beautiful scenery. You honestly can't go wrong with the beach communities of SoCal!

Cali-

Here is a suggestion that you might not have thought of.......Palm Springs. It is approximately 2 hours from L.A. and if you wait until September or October the temp will be perfect. I just proposed to my girlfriend in Palm Springs on May 8th and she loved every minute of our getaway.

I live in Texas, so I flew out to surprise my girlfriend of 8 years, with a weekend vacation to Palm Springs. I booked two nights at the Ranchos Las Palmas Resort & Spa and it was perfect. Our patio opened up to the golf course and the rooms were spectacular.

We went out and had a blast Friday night, the usual dinner, drinks, and dancing. When we returned to the Resort, it was dark and I sggested that we should take a walk around the resort. A we walked around the resort I stopped, got down on one knee and proposed. She absolutely loved the ring and immediately said yes. My ring case had an interior light that came on when you opened the box so it worked out perfect.

Cali, if you are still in the market for rings, I would highly suggest dirtcheapdiamonds.com. That is where I ultimately ended up buying my fiance's ring and we (espescially my fiance) could not be any happier. They had, by far the cheapest prices that I found anywhere(I ended up getting a 2.08 E-SI2 GIA Certified round diamond). I was a little worried that I would never actually see the diamond before I bought, but they had a money back guarantee to put my mind at ease. After I had my ring appraised I was even happier, because that was when I could truly see the bagain that I got at DCD.

Good Luck on whatever you decide. Palm Springs is a beatiful, romantic, and relaxing place.

TJV

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Palm Springs is a good alternative. It's not the beach, but has beautiful resorts and lots to do! Just be careful on when you are going. The heat usually breaks sometime in late Sept, but some years not until mid-Oct. It's pretty hot and miserable up until it breaks, and then it is instantly gorgeous.

I can give you more recommendations for the area if you are interested. Rancho Las Palmas is a great start.

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Love them Cali-beaches! Very romantic!
appl.gif

Malibu...there are a few restaurants if you drive along the PCH. Charthouse or Gladstone's is right on the coast.

I've been to a restaurant in Santa Barbara that's right out in the ocean. Sorry that I forgot the name, but if you drive along 101 you may be able to see it.

I'd recommend Pismo beach where there are a few classy restaurants right on the beach with magnificent oceanviews (not crowded too!), but that's more than 2 hours away from L.A..

Laguna Niguel is also very beautiful and serene. Perhaps you might want to consider the Ritz Carlton at Dana Point?! It has a VERY romantic atmosphere (very expensive too!).
2.gif

Good luck!

(Can you tell I love beaches?
10.gif
)

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Santa Barbara's absolutely georgeous, I have to say. (as the main conference for my research area is held there every year, I get to visit fairly often
1.gif
)

I found that the beaches along the university (UCSB) were really lovely and mostly deserted, as opposed to the ones closer to town. I'm sure there are many lovely spots, but as I was staying on campus, this one really caught my eye. (I'd be more likely to avoid it Aug. 15-18, though, as there will be a large number of very geeky people all over.)

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
Why stay on the mainland? Try the Santa Catalinas. It's likely to be more private, less crowded, and filled with nice sceneries. Although I don't know what the weather is like in September but probably in the 60-70's, which is still a proposable weather. The boat ride there and back would add a romantic addition to the trip. Just hope that neither of you get sea sick easily. Then later that night, have dinner at a 3/4-star restuarant on the mainland... there are tons and tons of places to go.

squire

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I like Santa Monica. The Georgian, an old Art Deco Hotel on the waterfront, has a lovely happy hour on their front porch.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I went to school in Santa Barbara and it is just soooo lovely. I live in Los Angeles, and the best thing I remember about SB is how clean and fresh the air is. The nature there is sooooooo pretty.

I think I know which restaurant nemo was talking about. It's on the pier that's at the end of State Street. The food there really sucks, I would stay away. It's not very nice on the inside, just an average place to eat.

There are some very private and romantic little restaurants all along State Street that might be nice.

BUT! THE MOST ROMANTIC PLACE IN SB is at the top of the belltower of the townhall. SB's town hall and courthouse is a beautiful building done in the Spanish architectural tradition. The bell tower has the most amazing views of the whole city. You can see the ocean, the moutains, the mission, State St., and the whole city. Also, it's very small so it will be very private. I don't think you could fit more than ten people up there. Every time that I went there, it was either empty or there were only like one or two people there. It is just such a beautiful, dare I say BREATHTAKING, place.

Another very beautiful place is the reserve owned by the Douglas Family(as in Micheal and Catherine Zeta-Jones). It's a very nice nature reserve right along the cliffs to the ocean. There are quite a few people walking around with their dogs, but it is not hard to find a secluded place. If you get there around sunset, it's just so nice.

If you decide on SB, you can even make a whole weekend out of it. There are some really fabulous luxury hotels along the beach that you could stay at.

I would stay away from Venice for sure. Not very romantic, just a bunch of weirdos and wannabes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2004 1:26:47 AM sumi wrote:

I think I know which restaurant nemo was talking about. It's on the pier that's at the end of State Street. The food there really sucks, I would stay away. It's not very nice on the inside, just an average place to eat.
----------------

Talk about presumptuousness.
rolleyes.gif
I'm surprised somebody just knew exactly what I was talking about, I guess there are no other restaurant in SB out in the ocean.

California, if you'd like to know: I thought the seafood of the restaurant that I went to was great, and it had nice decor inside with a great ocean view.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
wow, there are a fair number of very active californians on this board. I wonder what that says about us, especially given the lovely summer weather outside my window.

(well, actually, I'm waiting for the stores to open so we can go try to make a final decision on an engagement ring, but that's not an excuse
1.gif
)

California

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's help!!!
It was greatly appreciated.... I ended up booking @ the Marriott Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa.

I will have to find a venue for the proposal.
I figure I will "pop the question" right after dinner.... enjoy some champagne... and head to a bar to celebrate... where the night will include allot of drinking, dancing... "ear to ear" smiles... all in the name of love.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2004 2:02:22 AM foundnemo wrote:

----------------

On 6/4/2004 1:26:47 AM sumi wrote:

----------------

Talk about presumptuousness.
rolleyes.gif
I'm surprised somebody just knew exactly what I was talking about, I guess there are no other restaurant in SB out in the ocean.

California, if you'd like to know: I thought the seafood of the restaurant that I went to was great, and it had nice decor inside with a great ocean view.

----------------

I didn't intend for my comment to sound presumptuous. I did say that I THINK I knew which restaurant you were talking about. The only restaurant that I know of right out on the water if the one at the end of the pier. Since I actually lived in Santa Barbara for several years, I THOUGHT I knew which one you were talking about. I did not say that I knew which restaurant you were referring to. IF we are talking about the same place, then the food quality has gone downhill. The ocean view is still spectacular.

Like I've said before, calm down. Trust me, I'm not attacking you.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/7/2004 6:11:59 PM California wrote:

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

It was greatly appreciated.... I ended up booking @ the Marriott Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa.

I will have to find a venue for the proposal.

I figure I will 'pop the question' right after dinner.... enjoy some champagne... and head to a bar to celebrate... where the night will include allot of drinking, dancing... 'ear to ear' smiles... all in the name of love.

----------------

That sounds really lovely. Don't forget to post pictures of the ring on her finger!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Good choice! Here is a good guide to restaurants, etc in the desert. Roys, Cuistot, Wally's, Johannes are all tops along with a few others. There are tons of great high end steak houses if you are into that, and The River, across from Las Palmasa has good casual dining. If it is still hot in the valley, take the tram up to the peak where there is a beautiful national forest with hiking trails etc behind it. The fine dining at the top of the tram is great food but funky atmosphere.

There are great golf courses and spas at all of the resorts. Enjoy, and ask questions of you need more info!

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Congrats in advance! I grew up in the Palm Springs area, just a few minutes away from Rancho Las Palmas. If you're looking for romance on your proposal night, stay out of the Palm Springs area and head to El Paseo Drive in Palm Desert. Its very close to Las Palmas (5 minute drive). My fave restaurant is the recently relocated Cuistot, as mentioned by another poster.

After dinner, you can walk along El Paseo and peer into the neat (and expensive!) art galleries and shops. Sadly, most of them close pretty early, but the walk is still beautiful. Towards the end of El Paseo is a shopping center called The Gardens, where you can sip yummy pina coladas and other libations at Tommy Bahama's on their outside deck. If you're lucky, there will be live island music being performed. If martinis are more your style, visit Sullivan's, in the same shopping center. This steakhouse is awesome (and would also be an excellent proposal location choice, just ask to sit in their back "library" room, its quieter) with a great bar and live jazz music sometimes as well. There isn't really a place to dance on El Paseo (there are a lot of older people here and disco just isn't their thang . . ), but the Fire House on the same street and another place whose name is escaping me that serves Tapas and Sangria is also apparently a great place for nightlife. I live in the SF bay area now, but these are the places I love to go to when visiting my parents who still live in the area.

BTW, good daytime activities are hiking/walking in the Indian Canyons if it isn't too hot (ask the hotel for directions, they're a bit tricky), taking a drive up highway 74 to vista point, where you can see the entire Palm Springs area (known as Coachella Valley), walking around the shops on El Paseo when they're open during the day, and my favorite activity - sunbathing!!

Have a fabulous time, and PM me if you'd like more info.

Cheers,
NS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results