shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help please... First time buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmpterman2

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm in the market to buy an engagement ring, i've been doing research on diamonds (so far this site has been the most useful), however, I'm still having a hard time making a choice on what to buy. I'd like to buy online to (hopefully) get a good deal and save on tax. My max budget is about 8500 including the ring. I'm looking for a gold ring with sidestones.

Here's a few questions I have:
1) Would I be better off buying a loose stone on the internet and then taking it to a local jeweler to have it set in a stone? I've found a few rings that look good online, i'm just concerned how they will look when i actually get them. Also, is it harder for me to have the diamond appraised after it is set? Last, some sites offer the diamonds for cheaper than the sites offering the rings and diamonds, would it be worthwhile to order from the site not offering rings and get a better price? How difficult is it for a jeweler to match/find the ring that I want?

2) I've so far been looking for diamonds that are around 1 -1.05 carats, D-F color range, VVS2 - VS2, round, Table 52.5 to 57.5, depth 59-62. Polish and Symmetry Good or better. Girdle Med to MedThin/MedThk.
Is this a good range to look for? Should i be considering SI1(and maybe increase the carat size?)
How much should a diamond in this range cost?

3) What Fluorescense should i look for? And how will it affect price?

4) Many online vendors don't list any kind crown or pavilion (such as diamond.com / blue nile ), so I can't use the HCA to rate any of the diamonds. or can I? or do i need to ask the vendors to give me the measurements?

5) Can i just have a local jeweler appraise a diamond or do i need to send it someplace special?

Thanks in advance..

Andy

majnoona

Rough_Rock
I have bought two diamonds ths far 1 a 1.07 VVS2 F in color ideal cut EGL cert from www.bestgem.com, I paid 6300 for the stone and a platinum setting you can call and speak to Lisa very nice people. Also i recently purchased a 1.63 F VVS2 from it sells for about 6500 per ct. at www.joydiamonds.com

majnoona

Rough_Rock
I have bought two diamonds ths far 1 a 1.07 VVS2 F in color ideal cut EGL cert from www.bestgem.com, I paid 6300 for the stone and a platinum setting you can call and speak to Lisa very nice people. Also i recently purchased a 1.63 F VVS2 from it sells for about 6500 per ct. at www.joydiamonds.com
Good Luck:twirl:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hi

..sounds like you are approaching this correctly. But, have you thought about going w/ a G or H (GIA graded) stone. In a setting not many (if anyone) will know the difference. From a women's perpective, buy the bigger stone without the good specs on paper - you don't wear the cert. Diamonds are sort of a women's macho. In the end, it's the big ones that get attention. The question will be "how big" not what is the GIA grading on this. Yes, I would look at buying an SI1 (again GIA standards). But, whatever you do, don't scimp on cut ( a well cut diamond will always look bigger than a poorly cut stone). What kind of side stones are you looking for?...will they just be accents? A more prudent approach would be to buy a loose stone than set it (there are several styles ready made that you just add your center stone to). But, this approach will take more of your time.

cmpterman2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input so far...

Does anyone have an insight on buying a loose diamond and then setting it at a local jeweler vs picking out a diamond and having an online merchant mount it before I see it?

I'm particularly interested in how difficult it would be to find a jeweler that has a ring that i like.. If i showed pictures, can most jewelers obtain the piece?

I'm also concerned about appraisal... If i buy and have it mounted online, does that make it harder to get an accurate appraisal? if so, how much should this concern me?

fire&ice : I've considered going above F for color, but I would like to be buying a colorless diamond. As for clarity, how can i make sure i get a good SI1 that isn't cloudy or have a flaw in a spot that makes it not look as good. Also, cut - i'm trying to be as "ideal" as possible, however it's hard to see exactly what i'm getting when i can't actually see it (online)..

Andy

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/1/2002 6:13:40 PM

Does anyone have an insight on buying a loose diamond and then setting it at a local jeweler vs picking out a diamond and having an online merchant mount it before I see it?

If it were me, I would approach it this way. (this will take time - but is the most prudent, especially since you are spending a decent sum of money)

1. Pick out the stone and see it in person.

2. have it appraised by an independent appraiser.

3. If all is well w/ the stone, either find a setting already made w/ side stone (dvatche.com) - search some of the pricescope web sites. They will show examples under engagement rings - 3 stone.

4. find a jeweler who does repairs on the premise (many can be recommended here) and have the stone set. With some of the reputable on line stores, you could send the stone back to be set.

5. It is my experience that a good jeweler would have settings and/or could make you one. This is not uncommon. Many people have their diamond reset; so, the market for this is there.

6. When you get the ring, check the cert to the stone. ......this is one reason I like my SI1 - My stone is easily identifiable. What part of the country are you from?

Back to #1. GHI are near colorless. I have an F stone, well cut, VVS1 and just purchased an I color well cut w/ med. blue Fluor. I am hard pressed to see the difference. At the end of the day, it's all how the stone faces up. You will save money going w/ a G/H and not see much if any difference. Also, some people prefer the more warmer G/H color. An SI1 stone would be better in the g/h color range also.

Good luck.

----------------

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Also, check out the thread "comparision of stones, side to side" Cut nut shares some interesting statistics and insight.

proposer

Rough_Rock
andy,

A few months ago I bought a stone from dirtcheapdiamonds.com where Jim Shultz treated me better than anybody would ever expect. To answer one of your questions I found the hardest part was finding the perfect setting. I saw some nice settings on Jim’s site, but I really liked the Vatche series. So I went to Vatche’s website and saw a setting that I liked, on the site it had a link to “find vendors in your area” I live in VA there were 2 or 3 jewelry stores that had the setting. I

1. looked at it in person
2. avoided the hard sell of a 3700 setting
3. Called Leslie at Whiteflash.com (best selection and service bar none)
4. Ended up saving about 50%

I STRONGLY recommend dealing with the 2 vendors I mentioned, visit their websites (especially dirtcheapdiamonds.com) even if you dont buy from there, it is one of the best.

Also I had the diamond set in a store where I was able to nervously watch the whole process. I knew the chances of a “stone switching” were slim, but I wanted to make certain…the diamond seriously never left my line of sight…a naked model could have walked in the door and I would not have broken my concentration.

Stay tuned for a full story from me about my full diamond experience…I am proposing in about 48 hours.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Seems like a smart way of doing business. If I did not have the situation I did, I would have gone to Dirtcheap. We are practicually neighbors. Curious, which store in VA carry Vatche - their website lists none? Where they not willing to come down in price? I, too, am in the market for a Vatche setting. I have been in touch w/ a division of whiteflash. They seem quite reasonable.

Good luck w/ your proposal.

cmpterman2

Rough_Rock
fire&ice: Thanks for your responses.

Do you have any idea how long such a process would take? I'd like to have the ring in hand the first week of sept. (I might be willing to move that date back if really needed). When i receive a diamond, what do i do with it to make sure it is what i want? Take it to a jeweler?

As for the color of the diamond, I may consider G given what you said... I think my reason for wanting D-F is mostly psychological..

I'm located in central NY (Syracuse area).. Anyone know of reputable jewelers or appraisers in this area (It's too far from NYC..).

Last, do you know of other sites that sell/design rings? I looked at the dvatche.com site, but didn't see any rings that fit what i was looking for. I think what i want is channel set diamonds + something next to the center diamond..

Andy

P.S. I'll post a picture of the ring i'm considering.. feel free to comment (i wish they had more pictures of the ring)

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/apd6/ring.jpg

On a side note, if i ordered this ring seperately and a loose diamond, can i have anyone mount it?

proposer

Rough_Rock
yes anyone will mount it...just make sure there is a gemologist onsite to map the stone for you before and after. Not a "diamontologist" I also bought a loupe on ebay for 4 bucks. The loupe in combination with the "are you a certified gemologist" question signify you mean business and you will not deal with being pushed around. Also Leslie at Whiteflash asked for the exact measurements of the stone so that the jeweler did not need to do anything but set the stone...without the head I was quoted prices of upwards of 200...I paid 32 bucks and it took about 15 minutes.

F&I to answer your question now I dont remember what site it was that linked me to "stores in your area" but the one closest to me (Fairfax) was "Charleston Alexander" in Falls Church. They carry the full line of Vatche for OUTRAGEOUS prices.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I like Vatche because of their simple straight forward settings. The ring you pictured is more in lines w/ verragio settings - it's very nice - where did you get the picture - is it a setting that is available? I am looking for platinum; so my search was of a different nature. Regarding color, really - if you are going to set the stone in gold then I think you should seriously consider compromising on color.

As for time line, I waited 20 years for my big rock! Seriously though, I can only speak from my personal experience. It took me about a month plus to find my stone. It was listed on a Friday afternoon on the jewelers net and on its way to my jeweler on Monday. I was very specific though. ..had to be a certed 3 +/- carats of excellent cut, H/I color, SI1, w/ medium blue fluorecence (I would have gone to strong if it did not interfere w/ the stone)... and reasonably priced. It will probably take another 2-3 weeks to receive the setting and have it set. Unfortunately on the internet, many of the stones listed have already been sold. Good quality stones w/ decent prices go quickly. I would view different websites and talk to a view of the internet brokers and settle on one that you feel comfortable with - that way they can work w/ you. I only know of one person on the net that I have had experience with and a friend had been pleased with a two carat stone from them - Diamond Brokers of Virgina. I have heard good things about Dirt Cheap Diamonds also. Anyone else care to name a few. I am unfamilar w/ anyone in the Syracuse area. People have had good things to say about someone in Long Island - Good as gold. Good luck

I can't recommend any specific vendor or appraiser; but others aboard may be able to help.

proposer

Rough_Rock
the "link to stores" is on the website under "north East" then Virginia

http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/Regional_NE.htm

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 9:14:47 AM

F&I to answer your question now I dont remember what site it was that linked me to "stores in your area" but the one closest to me (Fairfax) was "Charleston Alexander" in Falls Church. They carry the full line of Vatche for OUTRAGEOUS prices.
----------------

Falls Church is too far. Yes, the retail on the Vatche I am looking at is significantly higher than the whiteflash affiliate price. Was the store fixed on their pricing?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 9:18:57 AM

the "link to stores" is on the website under "north East" then Virginia

http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/Regional_NE.htm
----------------

Oh, I never would have ticked the north east. I am way below the mason dixon line in the dixie south. Thanks.

proposer

Rough_Rock
she said something along the lines of if you put a deposit today we can take 10 percent off. but there was no way she could touch the whiteflash prices.

proposer

Rough_Rock
--------Oh, I never would have ticked the north east. I am way below the mason dixon line in the dixie south. Thanks.-----

there is a vendor in Danville...that is pretty south isnt it?

cmpterman2

Rough_Rock
Proposer -
Dirt Cheap Diamonds looks pretty good.. You said that you worked with Jim Shultz.. Did you call and they helped you select a diamond?

Also, when looking at clarity, what kind of defects are the best to have ? crystal defects near the girdle? clouds?

fire&ice - I found that ring above at diamond.com, it's at the bottom right of this listing:
http://www.diamond.com/dys/setting_choices.asp?Sn=42386247&shank_type=2&lid=14EBC3400630

I took a second look at the dvatche site and did find one ring that was nice..

I just want to say.. this is all so mind boggling .. ahhhh

Oh, i did want to ask, what about flourecense, should i try and get one without it/with a little/ or strong blue? To me, it might look good with platinum, but probably not with gold... or maybe faint would be best...

proposer

Rough_Rock
you dont want strong blue...if you go lower in color flour helps the diamond look whiter, for example I have an I color stone (which I NEVER would have considered prior to speaking with Jim) this diamond is mounted in Platinum next to 2 other G/H pears. The I actually looks whiter than the side stones.

Call and ask to speak with Jim. SI1 you will not be able to see anything **ANYTHING**

SI2 Jim will check to make certain it is "eye clean" Also Jim deals with a custom designer on a regular basis...prior to talking to him I read rave reviews about custom stuff...at one point I was showing him pictures of settings and he said he could have any of them made...I never heard "no that is impossible."

sorry for the grammatical suicide in this post...

proposer

Rough_Rock
oh and to answer your question, yes I learned a lot here then told him what I was looking for and he brought 3 stones for me to see side by side, mine was the cheapest we agreed on mine. Jim doesnt deal with crappy stones. What he and many other online vendors have to offer is FAR SUPERIOR to mall crap.

proposer

Rough_Rock
OK I am off to a wonderful vacation and to propose...will be back in a week or so to tell the story and hopefully post pictures...

cmpterman2

Rough_Rock
Good Luck and Congratulations...

Thanks for your input.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Proposer, thanks so much for sharing your experience and good luck with proposal!

Looking forward for the pictures :)

:wavey:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/2/2002 9:16:16 AM

Diamond Brokers of Virgina.
----------------

Sorry, make that Diamond Source of Virginia

Beaware

Rough_Rock
Be aware, Joy Diamonds is a one man show, "mr" Anil Samtani. He is a FRAUD

See also www.joydiamonds.com

tayd

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/1/2002 2:55:50 PM

Hi,

I'm in the market to buy an engagement ring, i've been doing research on diamonds (so far this site has been the most useful), however, I'm still having a hard time making a choice on what to buy. I'd like to buy online to (hopefully) get a good deal and save on tax. My max budget is about 8500 including the ring. I'm looking for a gold ring with sidestones.

Here's a few questions I have:
1) Would I be better off buying a loose stone on the internet and then taking it to a local jeweler to have it set in a stone? I've found a few rings that look good online, i'm just concerned how they will look when i actually get them. Also, is it harder for me to have the diamond appraised after it is set? Last, some sites offer the diamonds for cheaper than the sites offering the rings and diamonds, would it be worthwhile to order from the site not offering rings and get a better price? How difficult is it for a jeweler to match/find the ring that I want?

2) I've so far been looking for diamonds that are around 1 -1.05 carats, D-F color range, VVS2 - VS2, round, Table 52.5 to 57.5, depth 59-62. Polish and Symmetry Good or better. Girdle Med to MedThin/MedThk.
Is this a good range to look for? Should i be considering SI1(and maybe increase the carat size?)
How much should a diamond in this range cost?

3) What Fluorescense should i look for? And how will it affect price?

4) Many online vendors don't list any kind crown or pavilion (such as diamond.com / blue nile ), so I can't use the HCA to rate any of the diamonds. or can I? or do i need to ask the vendors to give me the measurements?

5) Can i just have a local jeweler appraise a diamond or do i need to send it someplace special?

Thanks in advance..

Andy

----------------

Did you say that you're in the NY area? If so, head over to Long Island and see Jonathan at Good Old Gold (http://www.goodoldgold.com) and he'll take care of you (don't forget to try the pizza next door!). I live in the DC area and drove all the way up to NY to see Jonathan based on the feedback and the quality of diamonds that he had and finally purchased one about two weeks ago, and proposed last Saturday evening! :)

Here's the one that I bought:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/_84ct_e_vs2_h&a.htm

My fiancée couldn't be happier. :)

Regards,
David

beenscammed

Rough_Rock
did you actually get the diamond from joydiamonds.com?

shurikt

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/22/2002 5:24:37 PM tayd wrote:
I live in the DC area and drove all the way up to NY to see Jonathan based on the feedback and the quality of diamonds that he had and finally purchased one about two weeks ago, and proposed last Saturday evening!
1.gif

----------------

That's exciting news David! Did Jonathan say yes???
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results