shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help finding an OEC

tnicks

Rough_Rock
So I was feeling fairly confident with my understanding of modern cut diamonds and then decided to go the vintage route. My gf loves vintage looking rings and antique cut diamonds. I was working with Single Stone for awhile, but their settings are simply out of my price range, with even simple settings costing close to 4k and up alone. As I was originally working with ED, I have gone and felt this setting (in platinum) might work well with an OEC: http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/eng...iamond-Ring-With-Baguettes-(.56-ctw.)-269.htm

I have been trying to find something on OWD, but I'm finding it really hard to tell if a diamond is even a good candidate. Here is what I am looking for:

An OEC, not transitional, between lets say, 0.7 - 1c in weight. The stone should be eye clean and face up white. I am less concerned about the grading for color than its appearance. If an I stone looks like a G or F when compared side by side, I will be just as happy. What I am really looking for in an antique stone is more difficult to describe than a modern one. Essentially I am looking for one with excellent light return, so lots of sparkling to go along with the large chunky facets of an antique stone. I want it to look unique and unmistakably vintage, if that makes any sense. I have no preference really on florescence, as long as it does not cloud the stone. So really just an authentic stone that appears old as well, is eye clean, has great sparkle and fire on larger chunky facets, and faces up white. I'm sorry I can't be more concrete with what I am looking for than that.

My total target budget is 4-5k as I know she really does not want to be wearing something all the time worth too much. If I can find a stone around the 2k range that would be perfect. Please let me know if that is not possible. She also has a small finger, I am a bit worried this setting is too busy. Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
Singlestone has gorgous items, but yes, much higher budget needed.

I went with http://antiqueengagementrings.com/ because of recommendations on here, over all delicate but still sturdy look and price/turn around time. Also have a 30 day return window which was great to know.

Have you checked out Erica Gracehttp://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/ and http://www.rubylane.com/?

To get a diamond in your price range, (which is very similar to what I was looking for) your best bet is to email Erica Grace, Antique Engagement Rings and OWD to see what they have given your criteria. All were very nice and tried to find me options. I was really looking for 1ct or up, so I ended up going the ebay route because all the vendors came back with much lower color than I was comfortable. You might have better luck with the wiggle room in CT size. Mine may not be the most stunning OEC compared to PS stones, but it is perfect for me. 1.1 ct, SI eye clean, Lower color- L/M but not super noticeable in the setting- faces up very white in some light and slightly warmer in other light, but not what i would call yellow. It sparkles and flashes so many cool colors. And it was heavier than listed!
Nailpolish%20OEC%20and%20band.jpg

I had a PSers help with digging through diamonds. I would suggest having other people get eyes on your choices. The hard part if a good deal gets posted on PS, it can get snagged if you are not quick. Can be nerve wracking. Always make sure there is a return policy as only your eyes can say if its good enough for you.

I'm sure the more seasoned old cut PSers will chime in with great advice! But trust me, you aren't the only one out there with that kind of budget. Attached a recent pic of my set total approx $3750 in the end. I wish the table was more in focus, I was battling water spots and dog hair.

Here are some possibles from a quick search:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-1900...es_Pendants&hash=item35ab9a6d66#ht_1228wt_952 Could offer lower.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engagement-...Fine_Rings&hash=item35b399ae37#ht_3016wt_1186 need a straight on shot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-00-carat-...ose_Diamonds&hash=item2a14070c97#ht_844wt_952

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-EUR...ltDomain_0&hash=item33645c1e66#ht_1777wt_1185

There have been some OEC threads in the main forums. Check those out for links and pros and cons of what was listed.

Good Luck!

tnicks

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at JBEG and a few others you have mentioned. I will give them all another shot. I also contacted OWD, but sadly have yet to hear back from them. Eternity Diamonds said they can work with OWD directly for me once I have selected a few I want to check out. ED also informed me they could replicate the Single Stone settings I showed them if I went that route. My concern with custom rings however is the return policy. I am also not very comfortable with making such an important purchase through Ebay, though I am sure I could find a great deal that way. Perhaps if something comes by my way that I cant pass up, I may go for it.

Any thoughts on the setting I linked to? Here are some shots of a replica of it in Silver, with CZ stones. Not the same thing, but if helped me get an idea of what the final setting might look like. My concern here is that the stone in the replica would equate to a 1ct diamond, which is most likely out of my budget. I am having a hard time imaging what it will look like with a smaller stone. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

2011-10-03 12.38.06.jpg

2011-10-03 12.39.34.jpg

2ringside.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant put my finger on it but I'm not feeling that setting. I think its just too much with the halo, split shank and stone between
the split shank. I'm thinking its really going to distract from your center stone.

tnicks

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, I can kind of see your point. It is difficult for me to tell since it's a replica, CZs don't exactly make any setting look lovely :)

Here is another one I could have made. For some reason, the first one feels more antique to me though. Thanks for the opinions!

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

stci

Ideal_Rock

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the second ring you posted. The first ring did have a lot going on. Those stones in btw the split shank seem like an after-thought and make the ring seem clunky, not delicate, which is what your GF probably likes, given that she likes antique rings. Have you considered an antique setting as opposed to having a new ring made to look antique? Either avenue is certainly fine!

It wouldn't hurt to e-mail Erica Grace. Even if they don't have something to your liking on their site at the moment, they might be able to source what you're looking for. No need to limit yourself to just one source since it seems you're a bit unclear what you're looking for at the moment, but e-mailing them certainly would open up another avenue in your search.

Good luck!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
i actually really like the 2nd setting.

stci

Ideal_Rock
The last one is a real beauty. It's my fav! Did you make your choice?

tnicks

Rough_Rock
So this post is long overdue and I hope some of you that helped guide my decision see my response. I truly appreciate all of the help each of you gave, I could not have ended up with a more perfect ring for my fiancée. After speaking with the wonderful people over at SingleStone, I unfortunately discovered the setting everyone loved was out of my price range. It's was a beautiful hand made setting and certainly was amazing, which I am certain someone is enjoying right now. Thankfully though Yoni and EternityDiamonds were able to replicate the setting for me, nearly indistinguishable to my eye. I can't thank Yoni and everyone over at ED enough. The journey certainly was a long one, from them working with the also excellent people from OldWorldDiamonds, who helped pick out an OEC that all of our friends and family can't stop talking about, to making sure they crafted a setting that not only I was happy with, but that they were happy with as well. In fact they ended up making this setting twice, as the first one did not meet their approval and they did so without ever trying to pass it off to me as acceptable.

Unfortunately, the ring is being resized as I screwed that one up by half a size and all I have are a few crappy iPhone images, but here are a few. My poor lovely lady's hand was still fairly mangled from recent injury and she did not want me posting these because of her apparently unsightly hand, but I think it looks beautiful on her hand regardless. These images really do not do it justice and there is no shot of the underside of the ring, but I assure you it came out just as the original did I posted oh so many months ago.

So again, many many thanks to Yoni and the folks over at EternityDiamonds as well as Adam from OldWorldDiamonds. The setting is beautiful, the light performance and just overall character of the stone are really something to see in person. It really is the perfect ring and could not be more fitting. Now to somehow find a wedding band for her!??? After all the fantastic advice I found here, I will probably end up having to get more help soon on that one :) Thanks again everyone!

photo (2).jpg

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS!!!! Just amazing! (what "mangling"??? that hand is perfect!) :love: :love: :love:

Wonderful to hear you had such a great experience from Eternity Diamonds and OWD - great to learn.

Congratulations on your SPECTACULAR ring & engagement :appl: :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
congratulations!!! the ring turned out great!!! please do come back with more pics after you get the ring back-it's gorgeous!

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad it worked out for you. It's a beautiful ring! I hope your fiancee recovers soon. Her hand really doesn't look that bad.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on finding your stone, ring, and of course your engagement! It's a beautiful ring.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping you had chosen the second! The first was pretty, but the second was so very tastefully delicate. :appl: Congrats on your engagement as well!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I LUV that setting, you have excellent taste. Wise choice of an OEC too....my fav's. Happy wife ...happy life! Congrats! Oh, and she has beautiful hands.

Please post the spec's of that OEC you ended up with and more pics...thanks!

tnicks

Rough_Rock
As always, a little more delayed than I had hoped. I posted a new thread looking for advice on a wedding band and took a few more photos. Sadly my macro lens is busted so I had to try and manually focus it while holding the ring in some awful lighting I had. The stone is a .78 J/VS2. I'd have to find the certificate to give any more stats. It faces up extremely white!

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-the-search-for-a-wedding-band-begins.178424/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results