shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some expert advice regarding polish/symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
I found a stone I really like. It is online, so I have yet to see it, but it looks as though it could be a very good potential candidate. It scored a 1.6 on the HCA, which looks good to me.

My only concern with this stone is that the polish/symmetry rating is good/good (GIA cert). Is this going to affect the stone negatively? Would I be able to see the difference between this good/good stone a VG/VG stone or an EX/EX stone? I like everything else about the diamond and it is what I am looking for, aside from the polish/symmetry rating! Help!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Good" may have a very slight effect on the appearance, but one cannot be certain. You may see no difference and Imight see a tiny bit.... This may be the least important part of finding a diamond that is right for you. It may be of more importance to someone else. There is no definitive way to tell how "good" will seem compared to an "excellent". These grades have some definition, but remain subjective in nature.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Proportions and Color are hundreds % more important than Polish & Symmetry. If your
stone is well cut.... then buy it!
Seriously, who's gonna know (besides you) when looking at the stone
that Polish & Symmetry are Good or EX/EX? Noone!!!!!!!!
It's like H & A.... Same thing..... it's just a marketing technique..... I mean, the H & A viewer
is useless when the stone is set..... Do you know someone in the general public
who has an H & A viewer in their pocket? Maybe in the USA.. But not here in Canada.
1.gif

All those H&A, SuperIdeals, etc... it makes me laugh.

Trichrome.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You MIGHT be able to see a very slight difference between good/good and ex/ex, assuming that proportions are very close. But be advised that difference between very good proportions and ideal prop is much more noticable.

Giangi

]

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Giangi,
Wouldn't the difference between VG and Ideal be less than the gap between G and EX? Using the GIA scale in regards to Polish/Symmetry, EX is the same as AGS' Ideal (I may be mistaken), and since VG is better than G, the difference should be even smaller and accordingly less noticeable.

In all of the info I had during my search, I read a few times that VG and EX ratings for Polish/Symmetry were very close.

JayTee

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Giangi,
Wouldn't the difference between VG and Ideal be less than the gap between G and EX?

Yes, you're right. Keep in mind that AGS' polish and symmetry grades are quite liberal... Not always EX = AGS Ideal... Often VG = Ideal.

You've done a good search
1.gif
!!!!!!

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results