shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice - WF 'ACA I' vs 'ES H'

johnjlott

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and I've got a quick question. This is my dilemma...

ACA .724ct I VS1 ($3,313)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2656310.htm
..Or
ES .728ct H VS1 ($3,493)
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645102.htm

I'll be going with the "contemporary tiffany style" setting. And not that it matters that much, but choosing the ACA would mean another $120 off the setting (they're running a promo).
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1415.htm

I was originally set on the ACA, but now I'm really getting nervous about the color. Could anyone with I's and H's help me out with a little advice? Is there that much of difference (ES vs ACA and I vs H)? Would I be better going with the higher cut or color?

Thanks in advance for your help!
John

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you are considering an upgrade in the future, the ACA will come with a 100% trade in. I am unsure about the ES selection. In reality you may not see the cut difference in person, although there will exhibit differring personality. knowing about the trade in, and an I color to be very white/colorless in real life, no worries about that. With that said, I would select the ACA especially becuase it is less costly plus a discount on the setting with a 100% full upgrade, plus you actually get a higher PS discount on the ACA vs ES or Premium selection your price on the ACA is actually $3112 with the Pricescope discount ;))

I have owned H I J K colors, and between my H and I stone (the I stone was not even an ES cut) I compared it to my H Premium select stone and I can't tell the difference to be honest.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with what D&T said. I think the H ACA would be the better call.

pmbspyder

Rough_Rock
I would go with the I ACA as well. Plus, make sure to inquire about the PS discount when you purchase! Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a video on color that may help...
http://www.vimeo.com/3288695

Well cut diamonds face up pretty white in this color range. If you have a Jareds near by you can go look at their Peerless
line of stones to see what an H and an I look like. You can also look at Hearts on Fire stones if you have a jeweler near by
with those.

WF Expert Selection have the same upgrade policy as the ACAs but if it were me I would probably just go with the ACA.
No strong feeling one way or the other.
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/what-are-expert-selection-diamonds.htm

All Expert Selection diamonds are in-stock and available. A full set of gemological data is posted on the website for each diamond, including ASET and Ideal Scope light performance images. And like A CUT ABOVE® diamonds, all Expert Selection diamonds carry our Lifetime Trade Up and One Year Buyback Guarantee.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Screen cap from linked video. G to J from left to right.

GHIJ.png

I would go with the ACA as well. Unless you are super color sensitive I doubt the color difference is noticeable once set. I can barely make out the difference between H and I when I saw them in person loose and upside down on a flat white background.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so you know, the ES also has the WF lifetime trade-in benefit (same as ACA).

I also think the 10% discount on ring setting applies to the ES Ideal stones -- here's what the small print says: "We’re celebrating The Most Visually Balanced Diamond in the World® with this brilliant offer: Purchase any A CUT ABOVE® Super Ideal or Expert Selection Ideal Diamond and get 10% off the engagement ring of your choice. Dazzle her with pure brilliance and make it a fall to remember! Sale ends September 30, 2011. For questions or help with your selection call toll free 1-877-612-6770."

For me personally, I'd go with the ES just b/c I prefer a smaller table, but I agree with the others that color-wise it is unlikely you'd notice a difference between the two stones once set.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I bought ACA I,J/VS2 studs but returned them because I was not comfortable with their color .I exchanged them for G/SI1 ones .one stud is an ACA and the other is an EX ,however no matter how close I look I can't tell any difference between them .both are fiery ,bright .
so I would go with H/ EX ,higher color .

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Although I have not seen every ES selection stone available, I understand it is usually the polish that give them the ES and not ACA rating. I'd be surprised if many people (not in the diamond cutting trade) could tell the difference between polishes of a stone...so from there it is up to you to decide whether you can tell the stone apart by the variable of color. Can you have them both shipped to you then decide?

cheers--Sharon

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1317044011|3025775 said:
Just so you know, the ES also has the WF lifetime trade-in benefit (same as ACA
marymm|1317044011|3025775 said:
).

I also think the 10% discount on ring setting applies to the ES Ideal stones -- here's what the small print says: "We’re celebrating The Most Visually Balanced Diamond in the World® with this brilliant offer: Purchase any A CUT ABOVE® Super Ideal or Expert Selection Ideal Diamond and get 10% off the engagement ring of your choice. Dazzle her with pure brilliance and make it a fall to remember! Sale ends September 30, 2011. For questions or help with your selection call toll free 1-877-612-6770."

For me personally, I'd go with the ES just b/c I prefer a smaller table, but I agree with the others that color-wise it is unlikely you'd notice a difference between the two stones once set.

Please double check this bold print, I've worked with Whiteflash on more than five times now, and when I bought my Premium selection, although it carries a LIFETIME trade in benefit, Premium select stones is only upgraded at 70%. Lifetime still applies to my stone, only at 70% vs ACA at 100% I've never inquired about the ES selection, that is why I asking you to ask them about the fine print. Lifetime trade up is different than trade in values ;))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also encourage the OP to check with WF about their policies.

In terms of what is published on their website, the web pages for both stones posted by the OP show the phrase "life time trade-in" next to the purchase price - when you click on "life time trade-in" you are brought to the WF webpage for "Lifetime Upgrade" - the fine print there states the current WF upgrade policy:

"We are so confident in the quality and value of the diamonds we buy for our stock that we offer this valuable benefit on all diamonds in our three in-house categories: A CUT ABOVE® , Expert Selection, and Premium Select.
You may trade your qualifying Whiteflash diamond at any time for any other single diamond of equal or greater value. Credit will be given for full purchase price, less original shipping, for any qualifying trade up."

johnjlott

Rough_Rock
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice.

I'm planning to call into WF today with questions about the trade-in and the setting discount (if they apply to both). I'll also see if they can detail exactly why the ES stone didn't make the ACA designation. I'll let you know what I find.

By my count it's 5 votes ACA and 2 votes ES.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless they have changed the policy for Premium Select, the above information is not exactly correct. And maybe they have. My daughter's e-ring came from WF last November and the trade-in would be 100% of the value paid as long as the new stone costs 30% more than the current stone.

But to the topic posted, I can see a little tint even in H color stones that are graded by AGS. I was comfortable with them as studs because they did face up white. But when I got new studs, I went with G. But for an e-ring, I'd probably go with H over I color as long as the stone is ideal cut. I am not wild about the measurements on the ES stone, though, because it is deeper than I like. I imagine the depth and high crown are why it didn't make ACA if they still use the same parameters they did in the past.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Unless they have changed the policy for Premium Select, the above information is not exactly correct. And maybe they have. My daughter's e-ring came from WF last November and the trade-in would be 100% of the value paid as long as the new stone costs 30% more than the current stone.But to the topic posted, I can see a little tint even in H color stones that are graded by AGS. I was comfortable with them as studs because they did face up white. But when I got new studs, I went with G. But for an e-ring, I'd probably go with H over I color as long as the stone is ideal cut. I am not wild about the measurements on the ES stone, though, because it is deeper than I like. I imagine the depth and high crown are why it didn't make ACA if they still use the same parameters they did in the past.

My premium select stone was purchased this year in March ::) was looking to upgrade, but I can sell it almost at the cost of which was bought second hand vs what the cost of it today is the 70% upgrade was not worth it for me.

Sorry OP going off topic. There is a bit of gray area with WF in terms of upgrade policy I fear, including virtual stones.

johnjlott

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1317049613|3025829 said:
But to the topic posted, I can see a little tint even in H color stones that are graded by AGS. I was comfortable with them as studs because they did face up white. But when I got new studs, I went with G. But for an e-ring, I'd probably go with H over I color as long as the stone is ideal cut. I am not wild about the measurements on the ES stone, though, because it is deeper than I like. I imagine the depth and high crown are why it didn't make ACA if they still use the same parameters they did in the past.

I'm feeling a little over my head with this stuff... I assumed an 'ideal' cut implied the measurements would be correct. Is this really just a matter of preference or should I go back to the drawing board and do some more research?

I've only been searching for a week. If neither diamond is a good buy, please let me know that as well.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
toss a coin, Either will be stunning!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the ACA stone. I went from an H to an I color stone, and couldn't see much difference. My I color stone faces up very white.

I thought the ES stone's depth was a bit much. (I like stones under 61.7 depth, so I don't lose diameter)

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
ACA gets my vote. Colour won't be an issue, especially once set and by itself - not in a comparison situation.

Rough_Rock
I was recently in a similar situation debating 3 stones from WF. The difference between the stones compared to a .708 G VS2 ES were +$600 (.713 G VS1 ACA) and +$400 (.714 F VS2 ES). To be honest, I had a difficult time trying to compare the images and specs so I turned to the wonderful experts on PS. I was steered towards the .708 G VS2 ES and I saved more money with the current 10% off settings promotion currently under way. My rational was that if my gf does not approve of my selection, we can trade it-in with their trade-up guarantee. Best of all, we can take the savings and put it towards the custom setting that she doesn't know she's designing yet. Less strain on me other than on the bank account :lol:

By the way, this is directly off their website and what my rep, Victoria assured me:

Lifetime Trade Up Guarantee

The purchase of any Whiteflash in-house certified diamond automatically qualifies you for our 100% Lifetime Trade Up Guarantee.

We are so confident in the quality and value of the diamonds we buy for our stock that we offer this valuable benefit on all diamonds in our three in-house categories: A CUT ABOVE® , Expert Selection, and Premium Select.

* Policies subject to change. Benefits based upon published policy at the time of purchase and posted on our website. Last update 06/01/2011

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Folks! To clear the air, I am not debating of LIFETIME trade-in...lol i understand clearly what that means and I am a seasoned whiteflash customer, you guys are missing the boat ; there is a $$$ dollar Value associated with each indifidual stone ... Heck they can give you lifetime trade ins on a dog of a stone for all i care (not saying that any of their stones are) however, What I am saying is GET THE FINE print on the AMOUNT that will be offered on the trade ins if it is not the ACA... is what I'm getting out? clear as mud?

ACA= LIFETIME TRADE in; 100% of what you paid
ES = LEFETIME TRADE in; ?
Premium= LIFETIME TRADE in; 70% of what you paid (well that was my fine print as of March 2011)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results