shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice for a Round Ideal Loose Diamond

tassadin

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, really new to buying diamonds and need some advice.

I'm currently looking at a 1ct diamond with the following features:

Length to width ratio: 1.01
Table 54.0%
Depth 62.5%
Fluorescence: None
Medium to thick girdle, faceted
80% Lower Girdle Halves.
Excellent polish/symmetry.
VVS1 with a slight feather.

My question is this... is this an ideal diamond? or should I be worried about the length to width ratio of this 1ct ring? Is the Depth too much and Table too small?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

The things you need to look at in GIA Ex cut stones are: table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle, and diameter.

These parameters will help you stay in ideal range:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0)

The stone you are looking at is a little deeper than I would look at unless it is perfect otherwise and a really great deal. Greater depth usually means less in diameter, and the larger diameter is what you are aiming for in terms of a diamond's size appearance.

If great clarity is important to you, you can safely go down to VS1 as those are extremely clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, this cut tool will confirm if a diamond falls within ideal cut parameters. The measurements I gave you above will generally score well with this tool. The tool is a screening tool only, and just eliminates the more risky stones from the GIA Ex cut category. You want the score to be 2.0 or lower, but a 1.0 is NOT better than a 1.9. You usually don't see stones that score below a .7 anyway. It is good to have a stone that scores Excellent on Light Return, Fire, Scintillation, and at least Very Good on Spread. That is how most ideal cut stones will score.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

tassadin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

The crown is 35 degrees and pavillion is 40.6 degrees. I think in terms of the crown and pavillion its pretty good. Is the 62.5% depth and 54% table really that bad?

It's within my price range (10k CAD) and it seems to be the best I can find with those parameters... would you recommend I keep looking?

I've taken the HCA tool and it has a 1.0 (Excellent on everything and very good for spread).

I'm just worried the look of the diamond may appear smaller due to the depth being in the range of 62.5%... I was hoping to find a diamond within 61.9% or lower however it wasn't possible.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the smaller table with a high crown...that just me... ;))

tassadin

Rough_Rock
Looks like the diamond is sold and everything that had the same exact specs is 3k more. Sigh, I knew it was too good to be true.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tassadin|1448553266|3954433 said:
Looks like the diamond is sold and everything that had the same exact specs is 3k more. Sigh, I knew it was too good to be true.
That doesn't sound right...are these GIA graded stones?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like you had found a diamond with the appropriate angles/proportions that happened to fall in the "very good" cut category due to the girdle extending into the "thick" range. To echo Dancing Fire, are you comparing GIA stones? Do they really all have the "exact same" specs? Small differences can matter more than you might think, and there are factors that don't show up on a GIA report that can impact the price of a diamond, sometimes by a lot.

tassadin

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1448555958|3954447 said:
That doesn't sound right...are these GIA graded stones?

Hi, yes they are GIA graded stones. The ones costing upwards of 3k more have more depth, slightly larger table (56-57), but worse for crown and pavillion angles and a few more inclusions. While in the VVS2/VVS1 range, FED color range, etc.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Don't be discouraged. There are hundreds of thousands of diamonds available. Sometimes one pops up on your radar and you feel like you 'missed out' when it doesn't happen for you. There are a lot of diamonds to be had - and this may be a blessing in disguise once you start to research on PriceScope. I usually recommend (after HCA is applied, and after specs and comparables or looked at) light performance images be secured before a purchase is made. And you may find a diamond with a touch of fluorescence, perhaps a grade or two different in color will fit nicely in your price range and perform better than the original diamond you were looking at. Don't be afraid to alter all of your parameters in your search (except proportions/cut).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results