shape
carat
color
clarity

need snorkeling tips for honeymoon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My fiance and I will be leaving for our honeymoon next week. We are going to the Carribbean and want to try snorkeling. Neither of us have ever done it before. We went to a local dive shop and got masks & snorkels. Our resort is supposed to have fins. What else do we need? Does anyone have any advice for first time snorkelers. I''ve been trying to learn how to breathe through the snorkel in my bathtub. I probably look ridiculous, but I figure it''s better to try to get the hang of it in the tub rather than in the ocean with the waves crashing over me.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I love to snorkel! You see so many amazing things.
I don''t know that I have any true advice... but...

1. To keep your mask unfogged, spit in it, then wash it out with water.
2. Try to keep your face down so your snorkel won''t go back and you accidently breathe in water.
3. If you want to see the fish up close, bring some bread with you... the fish go crazy. It''s a little freaky at first to see so many fish right in front of you, but they don''t touch you.
4. Sunscreen, sunscreen, suncreen...
5. Wear a life vest -- you will stay on top and you don''t have to worry about actually swimming.

Have a great time!

Which island are you going to?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Many times in the Caribbean, you''ll be offered a life vest. If you''re not a good swimmer, you may want to use it, but try to get one that wraps around your stomach (so you can lie flat on the water) versus the vest type which will keep you bobbing like a cork...not fun! If you can swim without them, this is the most preferable...you can maneuver more easily.

Use your legs, not your arms, to get around. That''s the beauty of the fins, they''ll get you through the water easily.

And breathe slowly through your snorkel. Water may get into it, but you''ve got more than enough power in your lungs to force the water out. Regulating your breathing through the snorkel will help you the most.

Have a great time and bring an underwater camera (you can buy them at Target for $8) as you never know when you''re going to see a ray!!!! If you want, sneak a couple of rolls from your resort and bring them into the water with you. The fish will eat right out of your hands!!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the advice. I did order an underwater camera online. You can put in new 35mm film. I thought it'd save packing space over several of the disposables. It was also cheap $9.99 so that's good. I will definitely try the bread trick.

We are going to the Petit St. Vincent in the Grenandines. The island is just one resort--there are only 22 cottages. We will probably do a day sail to the Tobago Cays which I hear has amazing snorkeling (& scuba diving but I'm not certified on scuba.) Here's the link to Petit St Vincent: http://psvresort.com/

Do the fins just go over my bare feet?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, fins go over your bare feet. If you go on a snorkeling tour, they basically take care of everything for you.

My bf went for the first time a couple of years ago on a trip we took. He was so nervous at first that he wouldn''t let go of me. However, he loved it so much that we went on again on the same trip, and have gone snorkeling basically every opportunity we''ve had.

You''re going to love it!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Many people get tired when they snorkel (or dive) because they do not know how to kick. You see some people bending their legs at the knee... not good.. or kicking like the are not a bike.. NOPE... Here is a tip... kick from the hip... slightly (SLIGHTLY) bent legs. MOVE from the hip not the knees.. you will go farther, faster and you will get less tired...

You are going to have a wonderful time. Yes.. do remember to spit in your mask. BUT there is also a product that you can buy for 7$ or so from your dive shop that is a defogger and will prevent your mask from getting fogged. Good for you for buying your own mask.. usually another one of those novice no-no''s (when you borrow a mask from the shops)

Good way to fit your mask.. Pull your hair back, put your head back and lay your mask on your face. Breath in through your nose.. (created the suction) (not too hard now.. LOL) and then adjust it in the back.. This helps to prevent those leaks. Another thing. After you go snorkeling.. give your mask a ''shower'' in your room. Rince it off with cool fresh water and shampoo soap. This will prevent your mask from cracking form the salt water and causing leaks.

This is fun, relax and have a great time.. I dive and I just love it!! HAVE FUN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results