shape
carat
color
clarity

Need proposal ideas for Chicago - pleeaaase suggest!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WindyCity

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody!

I have been regularly reading posts here at Pricescope, and have found everyone so helpful and enthusiastic. Thats awesome! Well...I am planning to propose to my ''special one'' on val''s day...and am just lost as to where to do it!. Its been really cold down here..so almost all outdoor places are out of the question. Could people who have been through this and everyone else pleeeaaase offer their suggestions??! It will mean a lot to me!. Thanks in advance!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Chicago! I love that city! My honeymoon was in Chicago.

One place that both my husband and I loved was the restaraunt on top of the John Hancock tower. It's called the Signature Room and it has the most incredible view. The lights are dim, and the whole ambiance is so romantic. The food is pretty good too.
2.gif
Gosh, that place is really romantic and it just really shows the beauty of the whole city. [edited to add: the lighting at the Signature Room is sooo perfect for diamonds, really brings out their beauty.}

Another place that we loved was the Chicago Art Institute. There were a lot of private little places in the museum where you might want to pop the question. The museum itself is really a beautiful space. Even if you don't propose there, you definitely have to stop by, their collection is just amazing.

Hmmm.....top of Sears Tower?

Let us know how it goes!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Any idea where she most likes in Chicago? What are some of her favorite things? I don't know Chicago, but I know women... How about a beautiful hotel suite, candles, chilled champagne, and a bath full of rose petals and a floating ducky with a ring on it?

You can also propose with something that is special to her. If she likes books, you can go to a library, and find her favorite book, and place the box behind the book. Pull it out, and when she sees the box, tell her to open it...

If she likes flowers, take her to a florist shop and "put together a bouquet just because". You can put in the card a little note to find another florist's card hidden somewhere else in the house(hotel room). Leave a trail of single rose stems and florist cards to a romantic location with the little box waiting...

Try to romance her as if you want to win her all over again. Make her feel special, and be sincere and honest. That's the best proposal! GOOD LUCK and do post the final plan!!!

weemodin

Shiny_Rock
Aauugh, here you go again w/ the ring in the bathtub suggestion! It's just my opinion, BUT I say NO WAY JOSE!
A) You're naked in the bath, so pictures are out unless you're the kind of family who REALLY shares everything...

and more importantly

B) It's not worth the risk/very real possibility that the newly purchased ring will end up down the drain. Diamonds and bathtubs/sinks/lakes/oceans don't mix well. NO NO NO!!! Too scary!

Nicrez, I don't think you'd want that elusive radiant diamond with spectacular optics you and your intended have been searching for to go down the drain in a proposal-gone-awry, would you?
eek.gif
eek.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not one for trails of flowers or trails of rose petals either.

I think the most important part of the proposal, and I think this is was Nicrez was getting at, is to personalize it to your girlfriend. Just keep in mind her personality and her interestes. For example, my husband knows that I am a very private person. When he proposed to me, it was in our home with only the two of us (and our pets
2.gif
).

Chicago is such a great town, I am sure you will come up with something amazing.

By the way, the cold weather can be a plus! It was snowing a lot when I was in Chicago, but I thought the cold was romantic. It gave my husband and I another excuse to cuddle up. But hey, I live in Los Angeles, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.
1.gif

Just make sure to have a camera when you propose! you'll treasure the pictures later.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Weemodin, actually I have a friend who was proposed to that way ansd she gushed about how sweet it was, because her boyfriend/husband now is extremely practical. He's the kind of guy who would never surprise her, but is very private and sometimes a bit colder and not so emotional. It was the sort of sensuality she was not used to. (he had the plug in, and it was securely fastened to a rubber ducky with triple knots and had to be cut off!)) Plus, I thought it was a cute idea...

Although I can't say that if I were proposed to in public or private I would want anyone taking pictures...? What for? That's why there is a wedding, and enggagement pictures, and all the parties and thing in between. What if you come out with this bizarre facial expression? Who would take the pictures? It spoils the mood if the guy does it. "hey honey, smile..." FLASH in the face... Or the camera man in the corner saying..."hey don't mind me, but I am here for a reason... you'll see". And personally a hidden camera...that's just plain creepy. It's like being on some sick gag video...I would rather be prepared for pictures and pose. Again, that's just me...

As for my perfect radiant, I have come to realize that it is more impossible than we figured at first. We are now seelting on some well cut H&A stones. I am not a fan of round, but we figured that if I truly wanted a square radiant, it can look like a round, so why not compromise and get the best stone we can. My BF is really big into the whole perfect stone business, so I think he won't feel comfortable until he gets me the stone he is happpiest with. Also, he promised an upgrade when we finally DO find that PERFECT radiant. As we knew we wanted to get married the first week we dated, I patiently waited out the financial setbacks for this ring. Now that he has the means, we will patiently wait for the stone. But the engagement will proceed...But WHEN, I am not quite sure...
2.gif
(this month, next month)

And when he DOES propose, he knows that I definately will be happy with whichever stone he thinks is the best. It's not about the stone, and about the setting, or how it happens, or when...but that it does, and it's heartfelt when it's said, and the marraige that lasts after the proposal is long long and just a story to tell. When it comes to searching, I found the perfect guy. The perfect stone will just be icing on the cake!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, my husband had a camera ready when he proposed and I am so thankful that he did. I don't even remember him taking pictures to tell you the truth. However, I am so happy to have those pictures to look back on. Seriously, the look on my face is priceless, I could never recreate that kind of shock and happiness. Also, the whole experience was so surreal. I knew a proposal was coming soon, but I would have never guess his timing. I don't really remember all the details, and I am glad to have the pictures as a reference.

I still think it's a great idea to have pictures. Wedding pictures are, of course, great too. They're two different events: getting married and getting engaged. I'm glad I have photos from both.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Hey Windy City.
wavey.gif
I second Sumi's advice on going to the restaurant which is located in the John Hancock building. They have a romantic ambience and special lighting that will surely make the ring sparkle. I don't second a proposal at the Art Institute because it does get crowded and loud at times. In my opinion, it's a great place to visit and look at their art collections, but not the place to propose since it is an informal setting. If you want to propose at night than the restaurant in the John Hancock building will be more than just fine. My cousin-in-law who proposed to my cousin did so at a nice French restaurant. He went in and informed the restaurant about the proposal, and the waiter insisted on them ordering the diamond white cake special for dessert. Here came a dessert with a ring box on the side. He then proposed to my cousin on his knee. He tried to keep it inconspicuous, but what can you do with other diners and waiters around. Everybody clapped for them, and of course she said "yes." After dinner, my cousin-in-law had planned for a horse chariot ride along the lake front of Lake Michigan. I couldn't recommend that ride to you since I do agree that the Chicago weather has been extremely cold and unbearable. Good luck to you with your engagement suprise.
appl.gif

WindyCity

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is great! So many suggestions and opinions! Thanks a bunch everyone, ..i am really grateful to all of you!..Still trying to make my mind up..and keeping my fingers crossed
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results