shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions on a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Hey there Pricescopers,

I am looking for opinions on two engagement settings.

Here is the first--it would be in white gold, but the website just has a pic in yellow.

jet2ks12048.jpg

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Here is the second. The satin finish is just around the sidestones, it has a polished finish on the lower half.

I am really leaning toward this one, but am afraid it is just my male genetics and would like some opinions.

jet2ksWS0116.jpg

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
they are 2 completely different looks. What does your girlfriend like when it comes to jewelry?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to compare these two because they are so different: the size of the center stone, the finish, the style (traditional vs contemporary) and the cost. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The first one looks more like a promise ring. The second looks a bit industrial. What type of jewelry does your gf like? Traditional, contemporary, antique, delicate, etc?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Her tastes are pretty varied, actually. She doesn''t wear gemstones very much at all, mainly fashion jewelry with very contemporary colors and design, yet in almost all other facets of life she is pretty conservative. A straight solitare would not be to her taste, but neither would something with a lot of sidestones like a Pave setting, so I have been looking for a simpler setting with just a few sidestones. I have seen the second one at a local B&M and it really jumped as something I felt she would like--slightly traditional, but with a little "funkiness" to it with the brushed finish. Another B&M is ordering in the first for me to look at, so I might know more once I have seen it in person. I guess I am just afraid of projecting my likes/dislikes too much.

Thanks,
Jay

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one doesn''t look very engagement like; it just strikes me as something that looks costume-ish.
I like the second one better but the lines are very "harsh". Perhaps with rounded corners, it would look more feminine.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 1:11:17 PM
Author: jet2ks
I guess I am just afraid of projecting my likes/dislikes too much.
First of all, it's great that you're being conscious of this! It happens a lot, with either gender, that we pick out things for our SOs that are a bit too much what WE like and not enough what THEY like.

These are the things you said that jumped out at me:

"A straight solitare would not be to her taste, but neither would something with a lot of sidestones like a Pave setting"
-and-
"slightly traditional, but with a little "funkiness" to it"

Have you thought about a center stone in a shape other than round? Round Brilliants are certainly the "safest" choice for a surprise ring because they are the most commonly preferred, but since you said that a "straight solitaire" wouldn't cut it, but that something traditional with a bit of funkiness to it would be good, I immediately thought of fancy shapes.

Maybe something with a non-round center and just two sidestones of some shape, or a round center with fancy-shaped sidestones (like side trillions, or half-moons?).

Does that sound like something that could possibly work? If so, we can find you some pictures for inspiration
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Do her rings tend to be thinner and more delicate, or more modern and chunky? Any colored gemstones she wears often? What about stone shapes?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you two really need a trip to the jewelry store so she can try things on. Guys seem to think they have to do the whole surprise thing but the majority of women (and there has been much discussion on PS) want some input. And sometimes the style we think we like doesn't look or feel right on our fingers.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 2:38:31 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/6/2009 1:11:17 PM
I guess I am just afraid of projecting my likes/dislikes too much.
First of all, it''s great that you''re being conscious of this! It happens a lot, with either gender, that we pick out things for our SOs that are a bit too much what WE like and not enough what THEY like.

These are the things you said that jumped out at me:

''A straight solitare would not be to her taste, but neither would something with a lot of sidestones like a Pave setting''
-and-
''slightly traditional, but with a little ''funkiness'' to it''

Have you thought about a center stone in a shape other than round? Round Brilliants are certainly the ''safest'' choice for a surprise ring because they are the most commonly preferred, but since you said that a ''straight solitaire'' wouldn''t cut it, but that something traditional with a bit of funkiness to it would be good, I immediately thought of fancy shapes.

Maybe something with a non-round center and just two sidestones of some shape, or a round center with fancy-shaped sidestones (like side trillions, or half-moons?).

Does that sound like something that could possibly work? If so, we can find you some pictures for inspiration
1.gif
Ditto Musey!

A fancy shape might be just the oomph you need to take it out of the realm of "ordinary."

Of the two you posted, I vastly prefer the second, but still find it a bit masculine, honestly.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some of the "traditional with a twist" kind of things I''m thinking of (all Leon Mege except for the Mark Morrell on the bottom right), though all these are less on the modern/futuristic side like the one you prefer above.

9rcy058cyxm-298ymx0498c-.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the second one, but with high polish, not satin finish.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Or.... a slightly funky setting that flows a bit better? Here are two Scholdt designs from Pearlmans:

scholdtgd.JPG

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Of the two, I also prefer the second ring. Have you considered something like the Petite Champagne by Whiteflash?

It''s different but still feminine. Pic Here

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:05:24 PM
Author: geckodani
Or.... a slightly funky setting that flows a bit better? Here are two Scholdt designs from Pearlmans:

scholdtgd.JPG
Those are fantastic!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:13:47 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/6/2009 3:05:24 PM
Author: geckodani
Those are fantastic!!
1.gif
The one on the left was one that I seriously considered for my reset. So fun! And they make a matching twisty band!! And it has MILGRAIN!!! I may be forced to sapphire that baby up one day... in the distant future... when the lottery man comes knocking.
3.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Hey all, thanks for the great ideas.

Yes, I have definitely considered a fancy shape--I forgot to mention that in the orginal post. I thought the first setting would look much better with a marquise (and the stone would flatter her fingers--they are the long graceful type). On the second setting, I was thinking an oval stone would be better. Also, with the second, what we found in the store is if you don''t use the "matching" band but instead sandwich it between two polished bands, the ring really takes on a great life and the center stone jumps out even more.

musey & geckodani--I really like the Mark Morrell settings and the left Scholdt you posted!

Please, keep the suggestions coming. I have been surfing websites and hitting B&M''s for over a month looking at settings, but know there are so many more out there I haven''t gotten too, yet.

E B

Ideal_Rock
jet,

If you don''t mind my asking, what kind of a budget are you working with? For setting only, or for setting and stone?

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... between the two.... not sure... they are sooo different....
Maybe the first, if it had a bigger stone and was in white gold.

I like Musey''s ideas and would suggest a center diamond with color stones on the side.

Or maybe a solitaire with a pretty wedding band then she could just wear the wedding band at times.

I thought about a solitaire with surprise gemstones in my BF''s and my birthstone.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:06:02 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Of the two, I also prefer the second ring. Have you considered something like the Petite Champagne by Whiteflash?

It''s different but still feminine. Pic Here
I do really like that setting and she would, too, but is probably out of budget right now. We''ll see what rebate from Uncle Sam and my annual bonus from work come in at and I might be able to work something like that with a smaller stone for now and upgrade in a few years. Definitely will keep it in mind!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
BTW - you said fashion jewelry with comtemporary colors, which my me think of color which is why I suggested so much color.....

K... nuff said... sounding foolish......
emembarrassed.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:39:41 PM
Author: EBree
jet,

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of a budget are you working with? For setting only, or for setting and stone?
After doing some initial looking, I had budgeted about 800 for the setting. If I found a really good setting, I would be willing to go with a smaller stone initially and upgrade later. The main thing was that I wanted balance between the stone and setting, no one part to just really jump out too much.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:46:44 PM
Author: DebShine
BTW - you said fashion jewelry with comtemporary colors, which my me think of color which is why I suggested so much color.....

K... nuff said... sounding foolish......
emembarrassed.gif

Not foolish at all. The contemp colors she prefers, though, are all darker--maroon, bronze, metallic brown, copper, etc. I don''t think that would make a very good ring, so I was trying to stick with white gold. Most of the jewelry she does wear is silver colored of some kind--sterling or white gold (she only has one yellow gold ring and doesn''t wear it very often).

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked into some of the two toned rings... I was thinking rose gold and white gold specifically. Some are really beautiful... I don''t have enough time to post any pics... but might want to do a search on it. Does she like miligree? From the description of her tastes maybe a white gold with rose gold miligree?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
OK, I just found this one on Excel Diamonds website. It has some of that twisty/bendy thing going from the Morrell & Scholdt designs and is well within budget. What do you think?

jet2ks1831.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I like #2!!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a couple of suggestions.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/275CO1/152/ This is a solitare, but there isn''t anything ordinary about it. It''s got a nice about of funk, and will hold a .8 diamond. The price is great too, considering it''s designer and platinum.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/192CO1/96/ I would ask if this is the best price they can give you if you like this one.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/True-Love-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1394.htm This one is also beautiful, it''s a solitare, but you can as them to put a brushed satin finish on it. It''s very classic and elegant, but also unique.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 4:49:25 PM
OK, I just found this one on Excel Diamonds website. It has some of that twisty/bendy thing going from the Morrell & Scholdt designs and is well within budget. What do you think?
So far, I like this one best. It is contemporary but classic too. Nice choice!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
The excel one is very nice... good choice and good compromise on the two.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 4:49:25 PM
Oooh - I like it! Funky but classic still. Very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results